VF-31 CAG Super Bug - Completed - finally!!!

trickyrich

Gosh this one has come up already!!!!

Ok This is actually a double build for me, one aircraft but for 2 builds, this one “in the Navy” and for my own SIG VF-31 Tomcatters builds.

So the model is Hasegawa’s 1/48th F/A-18E model.

IMG_3980-L.jpg

It looks to be quite an impressive model and by all accounts a nice one to build…..not that I trust reviewers at all!!!

IMG_3981-L.jpg

She’ll sort of be OOB build but with just a few essentials, a new cockpit as the kit one is a bit basic......

IMG_3983-L.jpg

….some replacement exhausts with much better detailing, and new wheels for the same reason…...

IMG_3982-L.jpg

….and finally, as the actually aircraft is covered with all sorts of grills and meshes some super fine new ones. 

IMG_3984-L.jpg

These meshes from A.M.U.R. Reaver are super fine and incredibly thin so will be interested to see how they go as I have a couple of sets for my F-14A. 

And finally, the scheme, as mentioned she be done as a CAG aircraft from VFA-31 Tomcatters. This will be the 2nd aircraft in my Tomcatters collection (in the queue are an F-14A, F-4J, F-4B, F3H-2M Demon, F2H-3 Banshee (waiting for this one to be released), and F9F-2 Panther…..for now but another F-14D may show up, all in 1/48th). As time and appropriate GB’s come along I’ll gradually start building them. 

IMG_3986-L.jpg

IMG_3985-L.jpg

Not a 100% straightforward build but it should me a smooth one with luck. The real work will be getting the paint work right, they're not quite as dirty as the F-14's (?) but I still will need to get the patchy finish right. 

But first i have to finish my Combat boat first before I'll start this one, plus I don’t have another GB then until June, so with luck she’ll be done by then.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Great choice mate! You may need to pick up a set of aftermarket late style ECS pipes for this one.

you know, I don't know why I haven't bought them already??? I think I may have gotten stuck while sorting out the correct exhaust nozzles and just plain forgot.

Thanks.....now off to evilBay! :D   ........can't promise I won't buy anything else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gee whiz, I had to go back to page 3 to find this thread……this is going to be a busy GB!

Ok I haven’t actually started this build as such as I want to finish the beast boat first and I have stalled for a wee bit (still should have her done sometime next week), but in between waiting for paint and glue to dry I’ve assembled all those wee bits that always take so long to do, drop tanks, pylons etc.

I did notice that the fit of the main gear parts was……..interesting!! Big gaps that’ll need filling!

That aside, these lovely goodies arrived today.

IMG_4205-L.jpg

Plus, I found this in the draw, so I’ll use this in the loadout along with some GBU-38’s (500lb JDAMS). So, the Mavericks are on the inner pylons with 4 JDAMS on the outer sets, alternately Mavericks on the middle pylons, tanks on the inner and 2 JDAMS on the outers. Will decide later on.

IMG_4215-L.jpg

I also decided to start on some of the mod work, that’s always fun and there’s a bit required on this one! To help with this I gave all the bits a good going over with panel wash, this will make the mod work and finding panel lines a lot easier. I did notice that Hasegawa’s panel lines are very week (or missing )in places…….good thing I’ll be using lacquer paints!

IMG_4216-L.jpg

Right these are the bits to be worked on, all the mesh work will be cut out and replaced but new PE ones AMUR Reaver. This PE set is amazing, it’s Stainless steel 0.1mm thick (4 thou) and finely detailed.

IMG_4217-L.jpg

First up the new ECR pipes, whilst the outside & top & bottom edges have lines to follow there’s nothing to follow on the inside…..and the profile isn’t quite right on the inside either! Luckily the plastic is easy to carve. I drowned the back of them with CA cement, which also kindly went a filled all the gaps as well.

IMG_4218-L.jpg

OK the meshes……. Each piece of PE is quite a bit larger than required, so you first cut out/drill out the old plastic mesh, then remove ~0.1mm of plastic around the hole to match the shape of the new PE bit. Done right you get a completely smooth surface when the new PE bit is fitted…….in theory!!!

IMG_4219-L.jpg

In reality not quite so easy, that test piece took well over 30 minutes to do. Removing that layer isn’t that easy or neat and tidy to do. But because of the way it’s been done a tiny smear of filler and it’ll disappear. So 1 down a dozen to go…..

IMG_4220-L.jpg

The bottom done, I also cut out and replaced the ladder opening with some new PE from Eduard.

IMG_4221-L.jpg

The lower fuselage section was actually quite difficult to do and there very little plastic holding that front section together now!

I forgot to take further photos, but the upper rear fuselage and intake splitters have been done as well, just have 2 more to go on the upper part of the intakes themselves. 

That was a full day’s work…..but they do look good!  I’ll do all the cleaning up and filler/finishing once the fuselage is all together. I still have the wings to do but I’m going the have the wings folded on her, so I’ll need to do this differently.

That’s the hard part out of the way, so now to wash all the resiny bits and start painting things……once the boats done!

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, exdraken said:

nice work!

I actually always wondered how to add this Amur Reaver PE on top... thanks for letting me know.... you are supposed to dig in!! 

yes and easier said than done, I can tell you!

Luckily the plastic is nice and soft, I wouldn't like to try it on some of that other hard stuff. Plus you need a really sharp blades of varying shapes.  Some of those fine chisels would be the way to go.

But they really look the part when done. I've got some for my F-14A as well.

• Like 1

thanks...though I do now need to push her aside and finish off me boot!!!

Thou I acquired this yesterday at my club meet, and for some strange reason I actually want to build it now! I'll put it aside until I get this build sorted then maybe start it to help fill in time...will see.

http://www.roden.eu/HTML/628.htm

I've got the Vietnam O-2A Skymaster in the stash.

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Thou I acquired this yesterday at my club mee

Yes I've got that very same kit ,very nice isn't it, there are some super reference pictures on the net...

Looking again mines 32nd is yours?

Edited by Hewy

48 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Yes I've got that very same kit ,very nice isn't it, there are some super reference pictures on the net...

Looking again mines 32nd is yours?

yeap, have been trying to find photos of the exhaust setup on them as they had a basic IR suppression system...though having trouble finding any of it..... or the interior for that matter.

not so much an update, but the postman was very nice to me yesterday! :D

These lovelies arrived......

IMG_4224-L.jpg

I didn't know there were 3 versions of these bombs! Airforce, Navy and B-2 bomber, you get all the bits for each version.....the R76 bits are for the Navy version.

IMG_4227-L.jpg

Plus a new AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod and pylon as well. I had read that the kit pylon was all wrong, the new resin one shows all the issues!

IMG_4225-L.jpg

I'm already to go with her, all resiny bits are washed and trimmed, so depending on how the boat goes I may get to start proper on her tomorrow.

Plus it looks like I may be laid up at home for a few weeks shortly.....and another model is calling to me!! :D So don't be surprised if I drag out the 1/32nd Avenger and make a start on her!

• Like 8

Have you got the amk weapons set yet rich that they bought out along side the tomcat,  it is incredible, and although I've only had a quick glance inside , it's  not just weapons in the box there are pods too, beautifully molded ,a must have for 48th  builds

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I’m still 50:50 over the new AMK model. Is it really that much better than the Tamiya version to be worth the extra cost? 

I will get the weapons set though :D

I haven't built the AMK kit yet so I won't comment on build comparisons - I have one in the stash. It looks great and it does come with a lot of options that the Tamiya kit doesn't, like deployed flaps/slats etc. The weapons are very nice. 

But if you're like me and plan to build several 'cats with the wings tucked in and for what would appear to be a simpler build, the Tamiya kit would get my money every day.

Yeah for me space is the big issue, so having the flaps down isn’t on the list. So a simple wing system is the way to go......I still have nightmares of the Hasegawa wings!

As mentioned the Superbug will have the wings folded.

I'll probably end up doing my AMK Cat in launch pose, as it's really the first kit to be produced that it can be done more or less out of the box.  But if you can get the Tamiya cheaper, then it is definitely a viable option for a conventional parked pose.  For me when I was looking, the AMK was 30-50% cheaper (pre-order pricing on the AMK vs just released, full MSRP+ Tamiya) and I didn't "have" to have it now.  No brainer for me at the time.  Prices have likely come down on the Tamiya...but I haven't looked lately.

Do you happen to know if the Tamiya wingfold goes into "oversweep"?