Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Adam Poultney

XM603 damage

Recommended Posts

It appears that part of one of the control surfaces on XM603 has been damaged by the storm today

643fc54b37d981b65f8e05c5b38e2af4.jpg

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, they take very good care of her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'603 Doesn't have control surfaces to speak of any more. When she was fixed up a few years ago, the ailerons / elevators were de-skinned and re-skinned over in a couple of solid patches, with the former hinge lines painted on. 

 

Cost effective at the time considering she doesn't need the use of her control surfaces, but it shows that maybe they should have been done properly first time around.

 

This is not a criticism of the museum though as the alternative was bean tins; just my two-pence worth. 

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Edited by WV908

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will she be repaired? Is it a big job, ie expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Will she be repaired? Is it a big job, ie expensive?

From what I've heard it is not going to be a terribly difficult repair, just a little expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a good project for battle damage repair training. The powers to be wouldn't go along with that I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Would be a good project for battle damage repair training. The powers to be wouldn't go along with that I guess?

You have to remember that battle damage repairs were a cold war expedient to get the aircraft back in the air for possibly a last mission, it would not be pretty and not designed to be lasting.

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

You have to remember that battle damage repairs were a cold war expedient to get the aircraft back in the air for possibly a last mission, it would not be pretty and not designed to be lasting.

yes, but for a static plane, may by ok. I'm not there so I can't say much, hopefully it gets repaired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

yes, but for a static plane, may by ok. I'm not there so I can't say much, hopefully it gets repaired.

Maybe, but I have memories of pop rivets and araldite all covered with speed tape. :( And now there is storm Dennis about to hit this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Maybe, but I have memories of pop rivets and araldite all covered with speed tape. :( And now there is storm Dennis about to hit this weekend.

You know what's correct when you see it and the shoddy repairs will stand out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...