XM603 damage

Adam Poultney

'603 Doesn't have control surfaces to speak of any more. When she was fixed up a few years ago, the ailerons / elevators were de-skinned and re-skinned over in a couple of solid patches, with the former hinge lines painted on. 

Cost effective at the time considering she doesn't need the use of her control surfaces, but it shows that maybe they should have been done properly first time around.

This is not a criticism of the museum though as the alternative was bean tins; just my two-pence worth. 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

18 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Would be a good project for battle damage repair training. The powers to be wouldn't go along with that I guess?

You have to remember that battle damage repairs were a cold war expedient to get the aircraft back in the air for possibly a last mission, it would not be pretty and not designed to be lasting.

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

You have to remember that battle damage repairs were a cold war expedient to get the aircraft back in the air for possibly a last mission, it would not be pretty and not designed to be lasting.

yes, but for a static plane, may by ok. I'm not there so I can't say much, hopefully it gets repaired.

10 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

yes, but for a static plane, may by ok. I'm not there so I can't say much, hopefully it gets repaired.

Maybe, but I have memories of pop rivets and araldite all covered with speed tape. :( And now there is storm Dennis about to hit this weekend.

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Maybe, but I have memories of pop rivets and araldite all covered with speed tape. :( And now there is storm Dennis about to hit this weekend.

You know what's correct when you see it and the shoddy repairs will stand out.