SAAB JAS 39 Gripen A***FINISHED***

PeterB

Thanks Christer,

That is what I suspected - Italeri seem to have got colour schemes and decals for four J 39C models even though the kit is a  J 39A as I undestand it. My Two Bobs sheet has all the stencil in both languages so I will be OK there. I just need to find a pic of a Swedish low viz JAS 39A that is preferably not 39132  as I would rather not do an exact duplicate of Tim's @theplasticsurgeon kit.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

If you’re happy to download PDF books Pete, there’s plenty of good examples of other numbered A’s here - https://epdf.pub/saab-gripen-aerofax.html

Otherwise I can riffle through the book and give you a list of possible numbers. Your Gripen is looking great by the way. Apologies for being a bit quiet, got a bit on at work and not doing much forum surfing of late.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back again after a short break, so I will press on and get this finished so I can start on my "In the Navy" builds - only a week before the Lancaster STGB starts.

DSC02629-crop

There was a time when I was quite good with an airbrush, but of late I have just used it to cover large areas and spray varnish so I must be getting rusty as yet another attempt as getting a soft demarcation between the greys has failed somewhat - it will have to do. I will try and get the decs on over the weekend and then I can add the rest of the bits, which are already painted. There are little round "glass" noses for the Mavericks, but I may use Krystal Klear as they will be a pain to fit I expect. Should look a bit better with a flat coat on as the gloss finish is causing some odd reflections! It is certainly a lot less "chunky" than the Viggen.

Pete

• Like 5

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...and a nice selection of weapons to go on her as well! :thumbsup:

There's certainly a nice array of death there to dress her up for the party :D 

Sounds as if you need to roll bigger diameter sausages of tac and spray at an angle a little more behind them to create that softer edge. Something to try on your next project ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Col. said:

There's certainly a nice array of death there to dress her up for the party :D 

Sounds as if you need to roll bigger diameter sausages of tac and spray at an angle a little more behind them to create that softer edge. Something to try on your next project ;) 

Hi Col,

Yes. that is what I had realised, but it is also to do with paint thickness and pressure I think, not helped by the fact that I am breaking in a new airbrush, and that the arthritis in my hands makes fine control difficult at times. I seem to remember that the best results came when the paint was slightly too thick and the pressure just high enough to get a fine, almost dry and slightly "grainy" spray rather that a thin wet one which tended to run together. Oh well, plenty of other kits this year to practise on I suspect. I have seen other builds where people have used paper masks and raised them slightly off the surface of the model to get a little "overspray" or whatever you wish to call it. I bought a pack of "frisket" a few years back for larger kits so I may try that sometime. The best ones I have done were completely "freehand" with no masking actually, but then my hands were better in those days.

Pete

• Like 1

Adopted a similar paint consistency myself for multiple colour schemes and certainly seems to work. Then again I've also been working on a lot of single colour paint schemes for the last few projects so that's kind of cheating in a way :lol:

Glad to hear you've plenty more projects planned. Any for this GB?

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Glad to hear you've plenty more projects planned. Any for this GB?

Hi Col,

Highly unlikely - I think I will stick at 5, as I seem to have at least 3 "In The Navy" and maybe 2 in the Lanc STGB. I do have 2 or 3 subjects that I could perhaps build here but I doubt I have the decs and my budget will not run to buying any at the moment..

Pete

• Like 1

After a bit of a delay the Gripen is ready for the final coat of varnish.

DSC02638-crop

It is not a bad looking plane but somehow to my mind it seems to lack the character of the first 4 Saabs I built. The Draken and Viggen were unique at the time - the Draken still is I suppose, but like many modern family cars, the visual differences between the current generation of canard equipped planes is not very great, particularly when they are all painted in quite similar grey schemes. I have yet to build my Typhoon and Rafale but I expect they will look much like the Gripen, but perhaps I should not be surprised as they were all designed to meet similar specifications I guess, The other two flew "technology demontrators" a couple of years before the first flight of the Gripen in 1988, but their "proper" prototypes were quite a bit later, as were the into service dates, so I suppose Saab beat the opposition yet again - good for them!

I have based the markings on a picture of aircraft 39152 of F7 wing, and as you can see it is in "strike" mode.  I will put the "glass" TV nose on the Rb 75 Mavericks after spraying. It also carries Rb 15F anti ship missiles, and for defence it carries a gun and two Rb 24J Sidewinders. It could really spoil somebody's day! - definitely "Loaded for (the) Bear"!

Cheers

Pete

Later - I originally said single engined fighters but Orso has just reminded me that the others are twins - my last surviving little grey cell must have been asleep!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

Thanks,

Getting old, forgot the others had 2 engines so would be bigger. I am not really into the really modern planes I suppose. I have not bothered with F-22, F-35, "Super Hornet" etc.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

well done Peter she looks great!! :thumbsup:

She does look "exciting" with the weapon load-out.

I hope you enjoyed yourself, I can't remember if this is you final build or if you still have another one or not.

Anyway it's great to see you've been enjoying yourself and great to have you in the build.

• Like 1

Final planned one Rich - depends on the other 2 GB as to whether or not I have time for more. I may have a few kits that I could build but not I think the decals. I will have to look into "Nordic" Spitfire Mk IX as I have a few spare.

Pete

• Like 3

After something of a pause, I have finished the Gripen - I even managed to get the clear noses on the Mavericks without feeding the carpet monster!.

DSC02643-crop

If and when the weather improves I will get some pics in the  Gallery. This is the last of my 5 Saabs and I am not planning to do any more in this GB, but we will see.

DSC02645-crop

I have really enjoyed this and would like to thank the organisers. It reminds me of the first GB I entered last June - the Frog one. Perhaps because of the large number of entries, the dialogue was a bit livelier than a few of the others I have entered since then - although I still enjoyed them the talk there  was mostly of the kits, whereas in the Frog and this GB we have talked about a range of subjects including the weather, our families and pets, and of course food! I have never been a member of a modelling club since I left school, but I think the atmosphere would have been the same as in this and the Frog GB, and all the better for it. The same seems to be developing in both the "In The Navy" and Lancaster GB's, though whether or not they will end up with as many builds as this one remains to be seen. The feedback and info from the "Nordic Experts" was extremely helpful - thanks guys!

Although I am unlikely to be building any more "Nordic" kits I will continue to watch with interest - good luck to you all and happy modelling!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• PeterB changed the title to SAAB JAS 39 Gripen A***FINISHED***
2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Although I am unlikely to be building any more "Nordic" kits right now, I will continue to watch with interest - good luck to you all and happy modelling!

Cheers

Pete

Fixed it for ya.  ;)

Splendid little collection.

I hear you on the camaraderie of this GB.  Atmospheres like this is why I almost never make it out of the GB section of the forums.  It's like hanging out w/ buddies and BSing while building kits...like I imagine a lot of us did in our bedrooms growing up.  I know I did. 

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1