SAAB JAS 39 Gripen A***FINISHED***

PeterB

I really should not be doing this with 2 other GB  looming in 1 and 3 weeks respectively but my fifth and last build in this excellent GB will be the 2011 reboxing of Italeri's 2000 moulding of the Gripen.

DSC02565-crop

As far as I know it is exactly the same kit but with some rather fancy new decals for 4 aircraft from Sweden, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and South Africa. Unfortunately at least 3 of the machines represented seem to be the later and upgraded C model whilst the kit is still, I believe an A model! Fortunately I have been kindly offered some spare decs by other BM modellers so that I can produce a standard early Swedish version - thanks guys. Tim @theplasticsurgeon is building the earlier boxing on this GB and it seems to go together fairly quickly, so I will risk starting it as my Viggen is not too far from completion hopefully - I just hope I don't regret it later!. At least, unlike my Lansen and to some extent my Viggen it comes with a full load of underwing stores - Sidewinders, Mavericks, some sort of cruise misslile, a drop tank and what is either a jamming or targeting pod. Must do a bit of reasearch to see what they actually are!

More as and when.

Pete

• Like 7

Good choice Pete I nearly got a different boxing for a fourth entry but like you have a good few planned for other GB's so thought better of it for now I'll

stick to three!

Hi

I believe the cruise missiles are the RBS-15 anti ship ones derived from the Rb04. Still can't wotk out whar the pod mounted to the right of the nose bay is - the cannon is to the left. Does not look like a Lightening pod - any thoughts?

Pete

I was waiting for this one Pete and knew you’d test yourself - yet again. Another thread to follow to see how you get on. The Gripen is such a lovely aircraft and (to me) Italeri did a decent job of it. I’ll probably sit out the ‘in the Navy’ GB as I’ll be still going myself with this Nordic GB well into May! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi

I believe the cruise missiles are the RBS-15 anti ship ones derived from the Rb04. Still can't wotk out whar the pod mounted to the right of the nose bay is - the cannon is to the left. Does not look like a Lightening pod - any thoughts?

Pete

Yeah, they are RBS-15F anti-ship missiles. More advanced and much longer range than the Rb04.

Pod is ECM pod - same/similar pod was also used in Viggen.

• Thanks 1

Gosh welcome aboard to another serial offender of the multiple builds!

I do hope you know you and others are keeping me away from my build because I'm trying to keep track on all these wonderful builds.......but what do you lot care! :D

Good luck with this build, I know you're enjoying them, and look forward to seeing her in the gallery........even though you know that you and others don't really care that all my modelling time now is taken up ogling over all your fantastic builds.....when I should be doing mine. :crying:We're even up to page 5 in the build threads!!!!

• Haha 2

Björn is correct. There was a whole bunch of pods for recce that was tested during the 90:s when the kit was made, but this one does not in any way resemble the large pod that ended up on the C-models (the A never got one)

Good luck with this little kit. It's quite all right, even though on can see a lot of wrongs with it if you know your way around a Gripen.

Standard publicity loadout was 2 Sidewinders, 2 Mavericks and 2 RBS15F.

Enough to deterr a rather large invasion fleet, especially if a squadron or more is attacking at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NIce try but I really need this to be a quick build as Enzo seems to have bagged all the small kits I was considering for "In The Navy", leaving me with the Airfix F 4K, Hasegawa EA 6B or EKA 3, all of which are big builds! Yes I know duplicates are allowed as we have seen on this GB, but I really wanted to do something a bit different, for a change. Just finished painting the interior so I may get the fuselage together later. Lord knows where I am going to put all the weight if the 20g in the instructions is correct - I would have though maybe 10g would be enough though if I do not add the recce/ECM pod I may need more!

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Christer,

That's what I was thinking - Tim said his nose cone was full of plasticene but it would not hold more that a couple of grams I would have thought. I should be able to get 4g of lead in front of the cockpit and that should do it - if not I can always get a bit more in the cone.

Pete

• Like 1

I have painted the cockpit parts and interior and fitted them.

DSC02570-crop

I managed to get a total of 6g of lead in front of the IP which I suspect should be enough - if not I will put some in the nose cone - if it needs more than 8g I am stuffed! The fuselage seems to fit quite well except for the vertical tail, which is moulded on to one side of the fuselage only, and this has left a bit of a gap to fill.

DSC02576-crop

One of the links I was sent earlier leads to a build review which identifies 2 possible problems. The author says that he had to wedge a little sprue between the upper and lower wings to expand them fit the profile of the root moulding. He also mentions a ridge in front of the windscreen which needs sanding down - I will see if he is correct shortly - Tim does not mention either problem with his build of the same kit!

Cheers

Pete

Later - I knew it was small but having glued the wings together I think the wing area (less canards) must be nearly as small as that of the F-104 Starfighter!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Orso said:

The funny thing is that it is only the left wing that need the treatment. The right wing is OK.

Hi Orso,

Yes I think I have the same problem, but it should be easy enough to fix. I think it is important to avoid using strong clamps to hold the wings together when drying, as on some kits it can squash the wing surfaces and distort their shape. Fortunately these did not need clamping..

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Well that did not take long!

DSC02580-crop

I had to jam an off-cut of 1mm card into the port wing cavity to lift the top edge a bit, as Orso suggested but otherwise the fit was reasonable - a bit of filler needed as you will see. Like Tim I found the canard fit a bit vague and there are no drawings to guide you as to angle - ditto the little "fins" immediately behind them (or are they aerials?). I will leave the nose off until I check the balance but it seems OK.

Can I ask for guidance on the colour of the missiles (yet again, sorry!) - Italeri paint them all white, but in the series of Gripen articles on IPMS Stockholm live rounds are grey - the Maverick and Sidewinder a light grey and the Rbn 15 a darker shade with a black nose. Likewise the wheel legs, wheel centres and bays are grey on IPMS and white in the kit instructions. Which is correct for the low viz scheme A model please? Grey seems to make sense as the US forces  and others have done the same.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Completely inert weapons used to be painted all over green, but during the 90:s when I was a conscript mechanic on Gripen and AJS Viggen in the Swedish Air force that practice was on it ways out. Instead, grey weapons with different colored bands were used.

Live 'winders (called Rb74 in Swedish military lingo) as we shot during an excersice in RFN Vidsel were painted as their american counterparts. So that is grey body, black seeker head and war head, gun metal fins and so on.

Wheel bays and landing gear are actually a very light grey, where the bays are almost off white, but not bright white if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

After a short delay whilst I finished off my Viggen, the Gripen is back underway.

DSC02607-crop

I am going to have another try at spraying the border between the 2 greys on the nose - hope it works better than my attempt on the Viggen! I have started building and painting the missiles as well so this should not take too long to finish I hope. I have sanded down the bulge in front of the windscreen, but will have to do a little filing around the canopy by the look of it. I have used Xtracrylic "AMC Battle Gray" for the uppers as it is supposed to be FS1673. The unders are Light Compass Grey FS16375 as that is the nearest I can get. The instructions show the actual nose as being in Light Gull Gray FS36440 but looking at pics I cannot see any difference between it and the normal underside colour. The kit markings are for the same machine as the one Tim built, except for the fancy anniversary tail and upper fuselage ones. I may see if I can build a different machine if I can find a suitable pic.

I note that the stencils are the Nato ones, though I have an aftermarket sheet with Swedish ones as well. Anybody know if and when they would have been changed on the JAS 39A?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2