USS Ranger, CV-61

Romeo Alpha Yankee

I am going to dive in with a carrier build. I am using the Revell 1/542 USS Forrestal kit with Starfighter decals for the USS Ranger.

I like to build subjects with a personal link and the link with this build is that this is the first US carrier I had seen. I was on my first holiday to Hawaii and while laying on the beach at Waikiki in mid 1992 I saw an aircraft carrier steaming out of Pearl Harbour. I found out later it was USS Ranger. Not long after she was retired from service.

I am not familiar with ship builds so this will be interesting. I am aware some mods are required and I may attempt them.

Pictures of kit and decals to follow.

• Like 5

The stars and bars must be tiny! I don’t even have the patience to do all the stencils on a 1/72 aircraft. Good luck!

i wish I could wear caps, I really like them but I just look a plonker whenever I put one on... or at least that’s the feedback I get given by the kids and girlfriend.

Rob

• Like 1

I understand there were some differences between Forrestal and Ranger but I don't talk 'ship speak' so have no idea what some of the more learned ship modellers are talking about.

So with being shown in pictures what some looks like then I think I will have leave things as they are. I do know that Ranger did not have a specific part of the kit fitted, so when I figure it out I will leave that part off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I have dragged this one up from the bottom of page 6!

This long weekend has given me a chance to start the build as part of a 4 day club Blitz build. Not sure I will get it done in 4 days as I still need to figure out the differences between the Forrestal and the Ranger.

This mould originated in 1989 but you would think it was from the 1960s with all the flash and ejector pin marks on almost every part!

Being the first carrier I have built in about 40 years it will be a learning curve, especially since the last efforts did not involve paint and ended up sinking to the bottom of the bath tub 🙂

So here are the firs build pictures for your enjoyment.

49756318757_70ce5957df_b.jpg]

49755982221_f2e64ab5c8_b.jpg]

49756318687_5d8613e2ee_b.jpg]

49755454953_c5008d0c4b_b.jpg

• Like 10

Gidday Ray, I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve. But I feel compelled to tell you, however, that the plane in the background is slightly out of scale, you probably can't use it with this build! 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

Hi Ray,

Detail and Scale have a book on Forrestal and in it they say the original Revell kit was issued in 1956 for $2.98 and showed the ship as built. In 1989 they issued a re-tooled and updated version, though were limited in what they could actually change so it ended up as a compromise. Neither of the box ref numbers they quote are the same as the one on your box which Scalemates say is a recent reboxing but I presume it is the 1989  version. as you say. However a lot of the plastic is no doubt much older which could explain the flash etc, 

Because ships take a few years to build there are usually differences between the various class members - Ranger apparently had an enclosed stern unlike Forrestal according to D&S, and as they usually stay in service for decades, they change each time they are refitted. When building them it is a good idea to decide what period you are modelling, particularly with carriers as the planes types and individual markings all change quite frequently. On the other hand - it is entirely up to you just how accurate you want it to be - most of my kits are "representative" rather than 100% accurate so what the heck - just enjoy the build. I have a few books on the subject so feel free to ask if you need any info - I have built a few ship kits over the years but am no expert.

I shall watch with interest. Good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks @PeterB,

I have some pictures but not enough detail to discern many of the major differences between Range and Forrestal. I shall keep looking. Thanks for the tip on the stern. I will check the refs I have and see what I can do

What era of the Forrestal are you doing ? I have a few pieces of info and photos from September 1990. I can look and see, i can also ask my friend. He was stationed on her from 89-92 both in Mayport Florida and when she moved to Pensacola. He wants to build her as well but hes still figuring which kit and how much detail to put into it.  

Dennis

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What era of the Forrestal are you doing ? I have a few pieces of info and photos from September 1990. I can look and see, i can also ask my friend. He was stationed on her from 89-92 both in Mayport Florida and when she moved to Pensacola. He wants to build her as well but hes still figuring which kit and how much detail to put into it.  

Dennis

Thanks for the offer, I am modifying it to USS Ranger Dennis,

I saw her in the early 90s steaming out of Pearl Harbour, so if I can that is the era, I don't expect 100% accuracy and will decide how far I go with mods.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No Bas,

I got distracted with other things. It will require a lot of surgery to modify the Forrestal sponsons to Ranger's config so I am trying to find some better pictures to help me out. I am also told the rear starboard side of the flight deck needs extending but I can't figure out where and by how much. I might have to leave that mod.

• Like 1