HMS Zetland, HMS Badsworth and HMS Middleton, camo started

Robert Stuart

That base, given a little twitching, a night to dry, and shot on a raking light (from my phone)

itn_zetland_013.jpg

Still looks a bit porridgy there?

I had a chance to give it a squirt of paint, mostly phtalo blue over burnt sienna, with a light dash of iron yellow ...

itn_zetland_015.jpg

... and photographed in natural daylight.  Still stuff to do with this base before I can focus on the kit, but ...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Impressive progress Robert and I love the colours you have used for the sea!

Thanks Stix.

I used a base of burnt sienna for the surface, and white for the sides with a mix of  phthalo blue, phtalo green, white, and iron yellow.  All Golden paints - artists' quality paint, if expensive.

Moving on, I've started glueing and painting the ship ...

itn_zetland_020.jpg

Still lots still to do here before ...

• Like 7

I've splattered yet more paint onto the base, and. on the ship ... I'm using a hairy stick to paint the decks dark grey, and added a bit of filler around the waterline.

There was a threat of snow this morning - if it happened, it never settled, though we must have had something, 'cay=use th ground was wet.  Nothing out of the usual, and nowhere near as bad as others had it last week.

This afternoon is bright, sunny and dry, so I took advantage.

itn_zetland_021.jpg

The decks are simply placed here, as are all of the deck houses.

I've ordered a few bits an pieces to repace the armaments on Zetland.  Right now, they should be somewhere between Melborne and London ...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Difficult to tell in the pic - probably close to Home Fleet Grey by the look of it but could perhaps be a little bluer looking at Jamies website - his WWII non slip grey is pretty dark but seems to have a blue tinge. I am no expert though.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Difficult to tell in the pic - probably close to Home Fleet Grey by the look of it but could perhaps be a little bluer looking at Jamies website - his WWII non slip grey is pretty dark but seems to have a blue tinge. I am no expert though.

Thanks Pete

Looking at Jamies site, yes, my deck could be both lighter and bluer.  (Is bluer a word?)

• Like 1

I mentioned I'd ordered some bits and pieces?
They arrived last week.  The only bits I plan to use are a replacement pom-pom from FlyHawk.

IBG's pom-pom isn't bad, FlyHawk's pom-pom is finer.

itn_zetland_022.jpg

The two pom-pom models, IBG's primed white, with out-of-focus grey base, next to FlyHawk's version.

Back on the base - or, to be place on the base later - I've been working on some of the waves.

itn_zetland_024.jpg

Essentially acrylic medium applied to clear plastic film.  When the acrylic dries I plan to peel it off the film and 'glue' it to the sea base.

I changed some of the modelling there, and added more acrylic medium.  (The brown envelope is for clarity. The photo above isn't easy to read.)

itn_zetland_025.jpg

• Like 9

Well, that worked.
Looked quite good when I glued it onto the base.  Until I tried to paint white foam, and went OTT.
So I picked off the foam area, and found I could peel off the whole layer (no photos sorry).

There is some progress on the ship, I've started gluing on the deck houses.

itn_zetland_026.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

With the expectation that I'll spend a bit of time at home, I ordered two more versions of the IBG Hunt class - Badsworth and Middleton.

itn_zetland_027a.jpg

The decals, PE and Sprue A are common to all three kits

itn_zetland_027.jpg

The devil is in the details ... Badsworth's main deck is different from that of Middleton and of Zetland.
itn_zetland_028.jpg

Middleton's bridge and deck houses differ from the other two

itn_zetland_029.jpg

The funnels are common to the three kits

Badsworth also has a different locker arrangement on her no 2 gun platform (?)
itn_zetland_032.jpg

(Shown here after priming)

Paint has been ordered, which will (I hope) arrive next week some time.
Both kits have been primed, though the parts remain on the sprues.

I've also started their sea bases.  In a change of strategy, this time I'm using foam board.

The boards have been given a coat of acrylic gel (mat, 'cause it is what I had to hand). 
itn_zetland_030.jpg

As an experiment, I used the gel to add a chamfer - this image shows one board right side up, the other is upside down.  (Now, which is which?)

Side view of sea bases

itn_zetland_031.jpg

• Like 6

Glue has been applied to Badsworth and Middleton.
Following a struggle of some hours with the carpet moster, we have arrived at this point ...

itn_zetland_033.jpg

Middleton is more advanced as her camouflage pattern is the simplest design of these three ships.

Obviously, there is some clean-up to be done here, but, beyond that, I'll be waiting for paint.

• Like 5

Had a chance to do some work on the two new bases.
While continuing with the foam board (seen in post 37) I adapted @Ray S's paper over sticks method shown in his HMS Gloster build, post 7.  My waves are only one stick wide and I changed some of the materials (sticks from cotton buds and water colour paper here) but the approach was similar.  I followed up with acrylic molding paste and acrylic gell for texture before adding colour.

The new bases are the darker ones in these photos.

itn_zetland_034.jpg

itn_zetland_035.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Sorry I can’t claim credit for that technique that would be @Ray S  

Nice work by the way glad I was directed to this Thread. 

Thanks Rob, I've edited my post to credit Ray

Ray, Sory for the wrong credit earlier.

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Rob, I've edited my post to credit Ray

Ray, Sory for the wrong credit earlier.

No worries!

The results look great! I have been painting my bases up but not got to a stage to be able to show yet. I am a bit slow at the mo!

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

I wish I had seen this earlier. I'm currently converting Airfix's 1/600 Hotspur into HMS Dulverton, a Type II Hunt. My grandmothers brother was lost on Dulverton in 1942, aged 19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

The results look great! I have been painting my bases up but not got to a stage to be able to show yet. I am a bit slow at the mo!

Thanks Ray

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

I wish I had seen this earlier. I'm currently converting Airfix's 1/600 Hotspur into HMS Dulverton, a Type II Hunt. My grandmothers brother was lost on Dulverton in 1942, aged 19.

Wish you luck with that conversion, Hotspur looks so very different to my eye.  I googled photos of HMS Dulverton - though smaller Zetland might be an easier base kit?

Some progress with my bases today.
More green and blue was sprayed on, sometimes mixed with white.
Thesw were followed up with a spotter (short haired brush) loaded with some greenish white mixes for the foam.  The paint was spotted into low areas, then wiped back before moving on.
itn_zetland_037.jpg

Had an email last night, suggesting the paint for Midleton and Badsworth is in the post.  🤞

• Like 5

" I googled photos of HMS Dulverton - though smaller Zetland might be an easier base kit?"

According to Conway's.there were 3 main groups of Hunt, with a couple of a fourth type built as well - all of yours are "Type II" (as is HMS Dulverton) which had a 2ft 6inches more beam than the Type I batch, which proved unstable with the original planned 6 x 4" guns, so only 4 were fitted - the following batches had all 6. Badsworth was launched in March 41, Dulverton in April 41, Middleton in May 41, and Zetland seems to have been the last Type II launched in March 1942 so that gives more than long enough for the inevitable detail changes to be introduced, though I have no information on what they might have been other than changes to the AA armament and perhaps the number of depth charges carried. They all seem to have been the same size.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I've started the camouflage for Middleton and for Badsworth

Middleton looks like a simple scheme, dark grey and green grey.

itn_zetland_038.jpg

itn_zetland_039.jpg

Except matching the shapes of those blobs of colour on the hull had me scratching my head for days.

I wound up scanning the instructions, and scaling them down to match the kit.  I then put strips of masking tape on a surface (plastic film in this case), then laying the reduced scheme over the tape and cutting through.

Both ships have a dark grey deck ...
itn_zetland_040.jpg

But Badsworth's hull has a more complex form.  Not quite a dazzel scheme, but clearly influenced by those designs - with lots of straight edges.

itn_zetland_041.jpg

Seen here placed on the sea base.

Setting that up took most of a day, with plenty of eye-breaks

• Like 8

Lovely looking bases there, and well done with the painting on Badsworths camo scheme! That's a complicated mask in that scale!

Geoff 

14 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Lovely looking bases there, and well done with the painting on Badsworths camo scheme! That's a complicated mask in that scale!

Geoff 

Yes, the camo is 'challenging' isn't it?

Good work so far @Robert Stuart, it must also be tricking keeping tabs on which is which!

All the best, Ray