Lindberg 1:163 scale Robert E Lee River Boat with lights

Hi Everyone
I was given this kit by a very good friend in the US. I have not made a Lindberg model before but I had no major problems with it. The plastic was of fair quality and flashing was very minimal and the instructions were quite easy to follow. With some searching on the Internet you can find a few idea's to add more realism (ie: Add the overhanging deck supports that were not in the kit, adding railings to the steps and boarding walkway, as well as extra rigging).

I have always admired these boats from an early age and so I decided to add lighting to this build (like most of my builds) and after some thought and planning it seemed to be possible. There is a large space between the centre and aft to accumulate all of the wiring which allowed for only a couple of wires coming out of the hull.  The model has a nice boiler unit that just seemed a little boring so I opened up a couple of the doors on the boiler and added a flickering orange LED to create the effect of a roaring fire. I have posed a video showing this in action before adding it to the actual model. I used warm white LED's to create an oldie type of lighting effect to the whole ship with not too much bright lighting. 

I hope that you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed the build and if you want to see the pictures of the build itself then you will find them in the WIP section.

Rob01 REL02 REL03 REL04 REL05 REL06 REL07 REL08 REL09 REL10 REL11 REL12 REL13 REL14 REL15 REL16 REL17 REL20 REL21 REL22 REL24 REL25 REL29 REL30 REL31

The raging fire of the boiler

REL39 REL41 REL42

• Like 16

On 2/9/2020 at 8:04 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Cracking job there. Hope mine turns our somewhere near that, but I'm not doing electrics.

Thanks.

Even without the electrics it is still a good kit to build. There were so many variations of paint schemes to use from what I saw on the Internet so you cannot really go wrong with any paint scheme.

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Nicely done.  Ordinarily I don't often like models that try to recreate funnel smoke as they never seem to look realistic but you have bucked that trend with this and it looks very good.

Thank you. Appreciate your comment about the smoke.
Funny you should say that, I have never done smoke before and after searching the Internet for inspiration I found that most people warned against add smoke effects as they were so hard to do.

Despite this I decided to have a go anyway and ended up with the effect shown in the pictures. So far, it has had a fairly positive feedback.

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Kevin, it's very impressive, particularly with the lights on. That boiler is a nice touch. Regards, Jeff.

G'day there Arnold.
Thanks for you kind comment. When I made the boiler unit it just seemed a pity not to do something different otherwise it would have looked boring. I saw that no-one else had created this effect on their builds of this ship and it seemed a simple thing to do so I just went for it. Glad I made the video before I fixed it to the boat though.

7 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice looks like you had fun with all the rigging 👍

beefy 

Thanks Beefy. 
For some sad reason I find the rigging the most enjoyable part. I really enjoy the galleon builds as it has a whole mess of rigging to get tangled up in. 

• Like 1