1/48 Tamiya Do335 Pfeil

Evening everyone,

This is Tamiya’s excellent 1/48 Dornier Do335A Pfeil built sometime ago but still a nice build IMHO.

Perhaps a little clean but I don’t like to revisit finished builds so she is what she is. I like the way the top color camouflage variations came out.

Helped along with the excellent Eduard masking set and a set of late war belts. The cockpit is decent for an out of the box affair.

Opinions welcome.

Rick

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

Pfeil

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rick, 

Wonderful work on this very interesting aircraft. I like the color variation very much! Flawless paint finish as well. Well done! 

One comment since you asked :) - IMHO the pre-shading (or post-shading) is a bit strong and in certain areas really sticking out. Could be a bit subtler. That's just my opinion though, and could be the lighting in the photos, I don't know. 

Again, wonderful modelling! 

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Rick, 

Wonderful work on this very interesting aircraft. I like the color variation very much! Flawless paint finish as well. Well done! 

One comment since you asked :) - IMHO the pre-shading (or post-shading) is a bit strong and in certain areas really sticking out. Could be a bit subtler. That's just my opinion though, and could be the lighting in the photos, I don't know. 

Again, wonderful modelling! 

Best, 

Nikola

Thanks Nikola, no worries and thanks for your kind comments.

I’m trying to get into more of the marbling style techniques that have come into vogue, to avoid the pitfalls of a quilted look. Both have their merits when done right though. This is an older build pre the newer techniques. Just wanted to give her some airtime on a lazy Sunday evening.

cheers 

Rick

17 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Seat belt finish is stunning, I’ll have to have a fresh look at the Spitfire I’m building.

Thanks Faraway. The Eduard belts are amazing though these were the original etch brass, I think the newer steel ones are so much easier to work with.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent build and finish, though I must confess I'm no fan of the current 'lighter tone in the centre of every panel' fad.

Kind regards,

Joachim

True enough Joachim. I have come to realise that you can go lighter, darker, pretty much anything as long as you can blend it all in. Sometimes almost random colors give great visual interest if you can get away with it by tying it together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

True enough Joachim. I have come to realise that you can go lighter, darker, pretty much anything as long as you can blend it all in. Sometimes almost random colors give great visual interest if you can get away with it by tying it together.

Hi Rick,

Now that you mention colors and visual interest, if you would like to take a look at my first two experiments with what I call a "complementary pre-shading method", where I use a complementary color of the base color to pre-shade.

So far I did it on Tamiya's 1/48 Zeke and on my current build, Revell's 1/48 P61 Black Widow.  It has given some interesting results in my opinion, especially on the Widow.

Here are the links if you wish to check them out:

Best,

Nikola

10 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Rick,

Now that you mention colors and visual interest, if you would like to take a look at my first two experiments with what I call a "complementary pre-shading method", where I use a complementary color of the base color to pre-shade.

So far I did it on Tamiya's 1/48 Zeke and on my current build, Revell's 1/48 P61 Black Widow.  It has given some interesting results in my opinion, especially on the Widow.

Here are the links if you wish to check them out:

Best,

Nikola

Thanks Nikola, 

I'm looking forward  to taking my time and having a good look at both later.

regards

Rick