This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

thorfinn

USS Ward in 1918 Dazzle (Mirage 1-400)

This is a 'golden oldie' from the files, but I don't believe I ever posted it on this forum.

I have always had a great affection for the US Navy's WW1-era 'four stacker' destroyers, so when Mirage of Poland brought out their 1/400 line of kits, I snapped up nearly a dozen of them. This is my favorite of those built so far: the famous USS Ward, launched in 1918, but far-better remembered for having fired the 'first shot' by US forces against the Japanese by sinking an IJN midget submarine outside of Pearl Harbor on the morning of 7 December 1941.

The Mirage kit depicts her essentially as she was on that day. I decided to back-date the kit, to show the Ward in her 'as built' configuration in the eye-catching dazzle scheme she wore for her sea trials in 1918. This involved re-configuring and simplifying her bridge, changes to the midships and the aft 4" gun location, as well as a number of minor equipment alterations and additions. I also utilized Gold Medal Models' fine photo-etch set, and used bits of plastic sheet and rod for the structural work required. (An idea of the changes and add-ons may be gleaned from the final two photos below.) Paints are 'by eye' mixes of Tamiya acrylics.

As always, there are a few glitches...things I didn't learn about or figure out until after-the-fact...but this ungainly little DD remains a sentimental favorite in my collection. I hope you enjoy it as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thorfinn, she's absolutely stunning. That camo scheme must have been a bit of a challenge. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks, Jeff.

It's down to good drawings and 'old reliable' Tamiya tape.

Cracking job great details and paint job :yes:

beefy

Superb work, not only the build, but the complete picture...

Edited by Silenoz

That's excellent, a really great job. You've made that four-piper actually look appealing 👍

The building, the painting and presentation are all first rate. 

Alan 

Fabulous looking model - I Really like the stand and the very fine detailing.

You deserve a crate of beer for that one!!

Rob