Jolly Rogers Pt 3 - Demon

Enzo the Magnificent

Last one in this little fenzybuild is a McDonnell F3H-2M Demon.

Again, this is from the Sword kit.

spacer.png

The scheme on the CTA sheet is a little nondescript, so this one will use the kit decals.

spacer.png

• Like 14

Let's have a look at the parts.

Typical Sword fare, which means it won't fall together like Tamihasedufix kits.   But from what I can see it's no different to previous Sword kits I have built.  If they were a hassle to build, I wouldn't keep coming back to them! :thumbsup: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A small etch fret is included.  Dunno what the injection moulded fins are for though. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Probably better than the old Emhar one I may build -bit crude but all there was for many a year.

I have the Emhar one in The Stash and to be honest they are quite comparable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Because of the odd intake geometry, I will build and paint the nose section almost completely before adding it to the main fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wing fences are provided as PE parts.  However, I have never had any luck whatsoever getting the PE edge to adhere neatly to plastic, so I tried another approach.

I cut a groove in the upper wing when the fence should go.

spacer.png

And then assembled the wings.  The fences were cut from plastic card using the PE parts as a master and extending the lower edges to they fit into the groove.  Far more robust!

The PE spoilers were also added at this point.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The nose section was primed in white.

spacer.png

And the sprayed with Xtracylix XA1137 Light gull grey.  The anti-glare panel is Tamiya XF-69 NATO black.

spacer.png

The flat areas in the intakes are where the intake vanes will sit.  They are supplied as PE parts, but I'm going to replace them with 10thou plasticard.

Dunno how much nose ballast this one will need, so I've probably erred on the side of caution! :fool:  That's 30 grammes.

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage closed up.  It was a bit of a struggle and needed some shimming along the belly, but we got there in the end.

spacer.png

Wings on.

spacer.png

I then applied a coat of primer to see where I needed to make good.  After that came the leading edge fences.  These are supplied as PE.  You are supposed to cut a slot in the leading edge to take them.   I did so, but inserted rectangles of 10 thou plasticard instead and carved them to shape.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi Enzo,

Any progress on your Demon and/or Fury? Is this going to another last minute blitz?

Cheers

Pete

Okay, maybe I won't wait until tomorrow...

The white is white plastic auto primer from a rattle can.  The grey is Xtracylix XA1137 Light gull grey.  Leading edges of the wings are aluminium from an auto rattle can and the radome is Lifecolor UA-543 Finnish Black.

spacer.png

A modicum of detail painting and then on with the stckers...  :fool: 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi Enzo,

I am glad you are getting there as I did hope to see a Demon in this GB. Otherwise I might just have gone completely mad and tried to blitzbuild my Emhar one!

And before you say it, no, the saner part of me really did not want to as I have at least 7 builds in 3 GB to do before the end of July. Add to that the fact that my other half wants to start decorating my work area having run out of things to do in the garden, and is starting to get grumpy. These times are stressful enough without that! As I made a start on it 10 years ago I think it will be a good candidate for the next KUTA. Perhaps we could have another "In the Navy" GB next year as I still have an awful lot of kits in my stash that would be eligible.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2