What's the best scale for...

Courageous

Hi guys,

Firstly, I am not an armour modeller, I build aircraft and maritime stuff but I would like the occasional drift into the 'dark-side'.

Some years ago I did dabble in some 1/35 British armour, so I know what I want to build and that is 'stuff' used by the British Army from WW1 to the present and could include everything from tanks, armoured cars, tractors, etc.

So, with that in mind, what scale is going to be the best to cover most of what I want to build?

Stuart

• Like 1

I'm super new to scale modelling,  and decided to try both 1/35 AND 1/72 scale models to see how I liked them.

From a building point of view I really struggle with the delicacy and precision involved in 1/72. 1/35 is a lot easier to build with my fat sausagefingers.  I'm still part way through painting 3 or 4 1/72 tanks (Cromwell,  Jagdpanzer, Maus in 1/100 but same size) and one 1/35 Chieftain. 

• Like 1

Depends on what you want from the builds. If you wanted them to display alongside your aircraft models, then 1/72 would be the way to go. But it you want them as something to build and put some detail building into, then I would suggest 1/35. Plus, your range of British 1/35th is going to be better than 1/72. For that same reason, I wouldn't bother with 1/48th. Although I like the scale, your choice is limited.

John.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

I build my aircraft in 1/72, so I am quite use to the fine work involved, I also scratch build in 1/72.

Stuart

If you're happy to work in smaller scales, Milicast Models offer a very large range of front line and second line British resin vehicles in 1/76th scale.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Richard E said:

If you're happy to work in smaller scales,

I am looking at this option Richard. Although they have a large range, they are also pricey and I can fully understand why. So, I think it all depends on how many I'm likely to build as aircraft is my main area of interest, I might have to narrow the choice down.

Stuart

Stuart - it's an interesting one.

What's all this about planes being your main area of interest?? :whistle:

For my money 1/35 allows so much extra in terms of aftermarket detailing, accompanying figures etc.

There's been a bit of a resurgence in British vehicles over the last few years.  IBG Tucks, Gecko tanks, a Bedford MWD to come (who'd have thought) and the criminally neglected Riich Carrier series.

I think there's an awful lot of choice in 1/35; I've never actuallly built a 1/72 but I can't imagine that for me the scale would allow the detailing and weathering opportunities.

Either way - looking forwards to some "Courageous" AFVs in the near future

Regards

Rob

39 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

it's an interesting one.

Hi Rob, would've never have thought that you'd be lurking on the 'dark-side'. The rekindled interest in armour, is just do do something different to my norm, that will not take too much of my time. I have seen Plasmo on Youtube do some excellent 1/72 armour subjects, so it is possible. I won't get no stash :pray:, just buy as and when. So, you may see a 'Courageous AFV' but we'll see.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hello stranger. I lurk over here as well, and even have a WIP and a couple of finished items as you will see from my signature below.

I'd agree with @robgizlu that 1/35 is so much better served with mainstream and aftermarket stuff, but there is a fair amount of good stuff in 1/72. Ace do some nice stuff in that scale.

Welcome to the dark side!

Terry

On 2/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, Courageous said:

Hi Rob, would've never have thought that you'd be lurking on the 'dark-side'. The rekindled interest in armour, is just do do something different to my norm, that will not take too much of my time. 

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Before I pitched up to Britmodeller I was primarily an AFV modeller - I still dabble...

I've finished more vehicles than boats this year :whistle:

Looking forwards to seeing some ?1/72 vehicles

Rob

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

signature below.

Terry, your signature is so large that I don't always have time to read it :rofl:. I do agree that 1/35 has the range but I  don't want it to grab too much of my time and I think 1/72-1/76 'should' be quicker builds.

Stuart

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, dcrfan said:

If your primarily into aircraft let your vehicle fleet support that interest.  See airfield vehicle thread 

I have often thought about this but limitation in range has always put me off but seeing that this idea is for the occasional 'something different', maybe I should give this more thought, it would go well alongside my 1/72 aircraft.

Stuart