[AUTO] Ford fiesta wrc 2011 belkits build

pau10wen

Finally landed on a new build that has inspired me to carry on (thought about starting three different kits in the last 2 months) 

Also seeing the brilliant wheel brake and hub set from KMP was part of the decision to do a service park/wheels on diorama (check out their website, they have some fantastic detail up sets)

IMG_20200118_181257

IMG_20200118_181228

IMG_20200119_235630

IMG_20200119_235625

I've decided to go open doors which I've resolved by using magic (magnets, not magic really) - and with some 8x3x1mm flat magnets and cylindrical 5x2mm magnets, the door hinges swing in place but are also completely removable. 

IMG_20200120_144720

IMG_20200118_181158

IMG_20200118_181147

IMG_20200120_144729

The boot I couldn't resolve with magnets, but a new 1/24 scale hinge set by decalcas works quite well so far. Sourced from spot model in Spain (I haven't seen them anywhere else) they are fine for use on this build with magnets to strengthen the boot when open or shut, but they seem very flimsy alone and didn't support the doors weight when I tested them. They don't seem very durable unfortunately, but work on this build so far. Jack stands are from the simil'r Ford focus wrc kit, which comes with doors already removed. Weirdly I kind of want to do some sort of gravel 'action' diorama with that car so am borrowing the stands for this build.

The inner boot and door sills weren't as difficult to scratch build as I thought, just experimented a bit at a time with them, and used a lot of filler to make good. 

IMG_20200209_103154

IMG_20200209_103140

IMG_20200209_103105

IMG_20200209_103205

The front grille in the kit is closed, so I've had a look at that and opened in line with some stock images and added the photo etch from the kit. I do have the hobby design detail up kit to enable me to go all out on detail as much as possible too. 

IMG_20200118_181139

I've done a little work on the floor pan to have a break from tearing my hair out with the boot, including some cigarette box foil paper kindly donated to make heat shielding through the tunnel area.

IMG_20200202_140212

IMG_20200202_140222

The suspension parts needed an upgrade with some cheap springs from ebay and a new strut from plastic rod. Hopefully should compliment the excellent KMP wheel hub parts eventually. 

IMG_20200118_181711

IMG_20200111_170037

IMG_20200111_170029

Here are the KMP detail parts for one corner, minus a mounting hub that's already glued to the suspension assembly

2020-02-09_05-20-39

So far so good, I'll maybe get to paint something soon, lol 🙄

Edited by pau10wen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice project I'll follow along if you don't mind?

Roger

Appreciated Roger, I'll do my best to keep plodding through it. Hopefully nearing the 'actually paint and assemble something' stage, lol

Hi nick

Glad for the company on the build, thanks. 

I fibbed, they were from amazon (changing the post shortly, lol

Here's a link to the springs I bought to fit this build and the description -

sourcingmap 0.4mmx4mmx15mm 304 Stainless Steel Compression Springs Silver Tone 10pcs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076M5KHYD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MoeqEbYM1WPGX

I narrowed it down and searched compression springs in the end for very small springs, which can be searched by size. There seems to be a few variations on width and lengths, happy hunting! 

Damn you! I'm planning to have the S2000 build later in the year, and I can already tell it's going to look so basic compared to this. Hurry up and finish so mine doesn't get compared to this ;)

Seriously though, this is looking like a great start and I get the feeling it's going to look awesome when complete.

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Yep me to very interesting indeed 👍

👍

56 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Damn you! I'm planning to have the S2000 build later in the year, and I can already tell it's going to look so basic compared to this. Hurry up and finish so mine doesn't get compared to this ;)

Seriously though, this is looking like a great start and I get the feeling it's going to look awesome when complete.

Thanks spiny, you're too kind. I don't mind comparisons though, everyone has their own take on things. I like the mechanics of the build and trying daft things. Does lead to a lot of long hours just head scratching though. 

A lot of my favourite builds online are out of box clean build style affairs. But I never aim for ultra clean finishes etc cos I struggle to get them 🙄😂

Slight update. There's a lack of, well, anything in front of the engine and radiator parts on the kit. So I've boxed the front section in using the front part of the sump guard.

IMG_20200210_003507

I also wanted to add a bit of cooling pipe detail that shows through the bottom front grille, so attached it to the boxed off front section too.

IMG_20200210_003438

IMG_20200210_003522

More soon... 

• Like 7

Updates

I had the same issue at the rear of the underside as the front, a lack of detail. The sump/undertray guards are intended to cover most of the rear area. 

Using this reference image, I built in a little detail, just to stop the space being empty as I don't intend to attach the guards necessarily.... 

IMG_20200213_221505

I have used healthy amounts of artistic license (as always), and have included a few key features as best as I can

IMG_20200213_235244

IMG_20200213_235601

IMG_20200213_235623

IMG_20200213_235643

Once some of the other engine and suspension parts had been painted, I attached them. I have left the very last pieces loose fitting to be able to attach the wheel hubs and suspension at each corner... 

IMG_20200213_235314

IMG_20200213_235352

IMG_20200213_235503

All maybe needs a little detailing as it looks a little clean for me? Then onto the wheel arches and suspension/braking parts from KMP... 

Also, I've switched to Flickr to host and link images, so far so great. Very very easy to use on my phone so far. Not paying for any kind of subscription as yet so we'll see i suppose... 

Edited by pau10wen
  • Like 7

Progressing nicely mate :) 

Wonder why the front suspension arms are blue and the rear ones black though, is there a reason or am I just overthinking on a Friday 🤔

Ian :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Progressing nicely mate :) 

Wonder why the front suspension arms are blue and the rear ones black though, is there a reason or am I just overthinking on a Friday 🤔

Ian :) 

Hi ian

It's the indicated colour in the kit, and also on an unposted reference pic I've found online. Looks weird to me too, but that's the Tamiya colour required apparently. 👍

• Like 1

You can see the blue in the ref pic like you say but it just seems odd why they would do it 

Unless different colours for road and gravel set ups perhaps with slightly differing angles and geometry

Ian 

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

You can see the blue in the ref pic like you say but it just seems odd why they would do it 

Unless different colours for road and gravel set ups perhaps with slightly differing angles and geometry

Ian 

I think you might have cracked it Ian? Nice bright colour coding would seem like a good idea during service 🤔😉😂

Edited by pau10wen

• Updates

Whilst the KMP wheel hubs, brake disks, wheels and tyres are excellent, they are incorrect for my year of WRC fiesta. The wheels are fine, but the disks and hubs are intended for use with the newer belkits fiesta kits.

The hubs are much flatter and wider than my reference pics show on the 2011 wrc fiesta.

IMG_20200215_202602

I also wanted to use the great photoetch kit from hobby design too as their brake disks and calipers are more fitting for my build.

So I've trimmed the hubs down carefully (GULP!) to just the centres, and have built up the photo etch disks using some of the centre hub parts too to try and mimic the reference pictures I have of the 2011 WRC germany fiesta.

Artistic licence has been used again a little, I've made do with the materials I have to hand.

Fairly happy with the look so far, need to re-paint the centre hubs and bolts, but the disks and calipers have had the first blast of paint

IMG_20200219_065536

IMG_20200219_065626

IMG_20200219_065622

Edited by pau10wen
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Amazing work on the brake and hubs.

Thanks very much. Both detail sets work together quite well so far.

Not going to lie, grinding down the expensive hubs was a little nerve racking, lol

Edited by pau10wen