1/24 GR3 Harrier Falklands decals

ush1000

Hi there, its been so long since I posted on this forum I clean forgot I had already registered! doh

Just a quick query if anyone can help, I have nearly finished my Harrier, a real labour of love! I have used the Falkland flt option for decals. I have decided to use 2 drop tanks for the inner wing mounting, no decals required, the cannon pods for the outer wing position, the instructions show 3 decals just on the left side, so I am going to assume for each wing, port and starboard, each pod will have 3 decals on the left side?

For the centre mounting under the fuselage I will use the large finned bomb (what kind of bomb? - the exploding kind), the instructions show a yellow band around the nose and 3 further decals. Unclear whether these are located on the top bottom left or right side of the bomb, I have tried to find pictures but no luck so far. My assumption is that they should go on the top side of the bomb? Any help gratefully accepted. Then my marathon journey is nearly finished!!

• Like 1

Bit confused,

The gunpods are only fitted each side of the under fuselage pylon.

the wings have four pylons, the inners can be used for the 100gal drop tanks. or bombs.

The UK 1000lb bomb has a 2" wide yellow explosive hazard band around the nose quite close to the tip.

Haven't got a clue about what decals you are talking about.

Selwyn

Ah ok I will try again.

The 1000lb bomb - airfix show a yellow band around the nose and 3 further decals along the length of the bomb - I am asking if these decals go on the top, bottom, left or right side of the bomb.

The inner pylons will have drop tanks, no decals required.

The outer pylons can be used for sidewinder missiles or (what I called cannons?) the pointed tube thing with multiple holes - ok I don't know if this is machine guns or cannons.

Anyway, airfix show this weapon has 3 decals on its side - I am asking if these decals are placed just on the left side of this weapon i.e. with the weapon on the left and right outer pylon, are the 3 decals placed on the left side for both of them?

Many thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ush1000 said:

Ah ok I will try again.

The 1000lb bomb - airfix show a yellow band around the nose and 3 further decals along the length of the bomb - I am asking if these decals go on the top, bottom, left or right side of the bomb.

The inner pylons will have drop tanks, no decals required.

The outer pylons can be used for sidewinder missiles or (what I called cannons?) the pointed tube thing with multiple holes - ok I don't know if this is machine guns or cannons.

Anyway, airfix show this weapon has 3 decals on its side - I am asking if these decals are placed just on the left side of this weapon i.e. with the weapon on the left and right outer pylon, are the 3 decals placed on the left side for both of them?

Many thanks

OK

1000lb bomb yellow hazard band as described in my previous post. do not place the yellow band as seen on  post 6, the band was re positioned much  further back  on the bomb after the Falklands  war because when the bomb was  used as a laser guided bomb (LGB) warhead  the front fairing of the LGB  hid the warning band.

there is only one yellow painted  stencil on the bomb, that is between the lugs on the top. as seen in post 6. no other stencils on the bomb. the yellow  "1.1D"label seen on the bombs are shipping labels that someone forgot to take off when preparing the bomb for use.

What you called gunpods are 68mm M155 SNEB rocket pods the decals on this will be on the same side on both.

The drop tanks will have a black data stencil on the centre section.

Each pylon will have a red "ERU" warning triangle on each side.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1