It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

4 hours ago, Spec7 said:

Just caught up with this, a twin stick Lightning, excellent :) it must be good as i joined 9 years ago and this has prompted me to do my 1st post :)

Welcome aboard Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

Nice job Giorgio,

Ideas dully noted !!

Amazingly enough, I discovered that my stove came from... Cremona... 

Big laugh and I think about you at once !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spec7 said:

Just caught up with this, a twin stick Lightning, excellent :) it must be good as i joined 9 years ago and this has prompted me to do my 1st post :)

Welcome Spec7, nice avatar!

AW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spec7 said:

Why, that's quite a compliment, thank you :thumbsup:  And welcome on board!

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Canopy tastic!!!! ❤️ Simply divine work G.

love it. 🤗

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, you are way too kind :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice job Giorgio,

Ideas dully noted !!

Amazingly enough, I discovered that my stove came from... Cremona... 

Big laugh and I think about you at once !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC! :thumbsup:  Cremona isn't very far from where I live, in fact - one and a half hour drive, more or less

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2020 at 09:41, CedB said:

More tiny detailing from the Master - great stuff Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: More tiny detailing done, see below :frantic:

It was quite a productive weekend, despite I spent most of it in my backyard (glorious weather); a lot of pics to follow, so bear with me.

Canopy: the kit provides a PE plate and blade antenna; I glued the plate on the canopy with gator's grip, and the antenna on the plate with CA

canopy8

That antenna is actually a scratch built replacement, because the original part zinged off my tweezers at the speed of light, never to be seen again ... :shrug: :banghead: 

I then airbrushed the canopy with Tamiya Flat Black, followed by a protective Aqua Gloss coat. Outside

canopy9

and inside

canopy10

After some detail painting and dry-brushing (dark grey and dark gull grey, all Lifecolor)

canopy11

There's still one prominent thing missing inside the canopy, to wit a central support with two lamps to give light to the cockpit. So I scratch built plunge molding the lamps on a round pointy bit and gluing them to a supporting piece of styrene

canopy12  

painted and with Tamiya Gloss Clear to simulate the glass

canopy13

and in place

canopy14

The main airframe received some attention too: ventral tank fin glued in with TET

ventralfin1

It's a butt join and there wasn't room enough for pins, so I had to resort to blue tack to hold it in place, and in the end I also had to add a drop of CA both ends

The tail fin got added too, and some PPP brushed into the join; the front part mating to the spine had to be filled in with CA+flour, instead

tailfin1

tailfin2

tailfin3

I kinda like her even in this state, it gives a sort of "in progress" look ... :wink: 

A few other details taken care of: the turbine faces received a coat of burnt metal with the brush technique

turbine1

and a black tempera wash, once buffed

turbine2

The exhausts pipes were airbrushed with Model Master Exhaust, and buffed after a few minutes

exhausts1

I then airbrushed some Medium Sea Grey inside the cans

exhausts2

Then masked the outside strip and airbrushed with AK Extreme Metal Chrome

exhausts3

exhausts4

Looks good to me! I'll leave it alone for a few days now, before attempting any weathering

Last thing, wing lights: thanks to Eugenio @72linerlover and Silvano @phantom61 for providing visual references, I was able to locate them close enough to the real thing. So I cut out the corresponding slots with a razor saw

winglights1

Glued in with CA some clear sprue bits (these are from a Tamiya kit, very clear)

winglights2

and refined with the tools you see in next pic

winglights3

Not very visible, but better than nothing :) 

That's it for the WE, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

Sort of ... :rofl2:

39 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Details , details everywhere, and you just keep adding .

Very nice work done there sir.

Take care and be safe.

Simon.

Thanks mate, you too! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

That's all coming along really nicely G - I like your scratchbuilt canopy lights - very effective indeed!

I am a bit worried though.....

17 hours ago, giemme said:

tailfin3

....as it looks like it's about to up and walk away....!! :)

Neat work all round!

K

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Amazing update Giorgio - tiny lights, tiny lights, perfect filling and wow, those exhausts!

Great stuff :worthy:

Thanks Ced, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

22 hours ago, Col. said:

Fine work Giorgio. :goodjob:

Cheers Col. , thanks you :thumbsup: 

21 hours ago, phantom61 said:

Bravo Giorgio ...

excellent attention to detail ...
it's practically finished ...

I hope you will make him a worthy diorama

😎😎😎

ciao 

Silvano

Almost finished, let's say .... :D  :D  Grazie Silvano :thumbsup:  Anyway, as soon as the wings and stabilizers are on, I'll start working on a suitable base :winkgrin: 

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's all coming along really nicely G - I like your scratchbuilt canopy lights - very effective indeed!

I am a bit worried though.....

....as it looks like it's about to up and walk away....!! :)

Neat work all round!

K

:D  I should try and put longer legs on her, otherwise this way she'd walk like a basset hound :rofl:  Thanks for the praises :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, Bas Hermsen said:

Very nice progress! I am a real fan of your work. 

Cheers Bas, thank you :thumbsup:  And welcome on board! 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/04/2020 at 09:59, rob85 said:

Beautiful details as ever, that canopy it a flipping delight! 

hope you are keeping safe and well and keep up the great work.

Rob

Thanks Rob :thumbsup:  We're doing fine around here, and so I hope for you and yours :) 

On 21/04/2020 at 13:53, Massimo said:

Very nice update Giorgio,

that canopy is incredible!!!

Well done!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Grazie Massimo, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

On 22/04/2020 at 00:10, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful update. Loving your work as always. 🙌

Cheers Johnny, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

On 22/04/2020 at 09:29, AdrianMF said:

Fantastic attention to detail! Lovely work.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :thumbsup:

How about an update? :) 

Since my last report, I focused on completing the fuselage before fitting the tail planes and the wings. The PE fret provides some antennae and sensors with the corresponding mounting plates, so on I went with them

fuselage24

Strips of Oramask tape used here to help with the alignment. PE parts glued with CA; however, as soon as I tried to drill a receiving hole through the two top ones to insert a steel rod acting as antenna (I didn't like the flat bit coming with the PE fret), they came off. So I replaced them (and the side one, which is for a sort of Venturi) with punched out 2mm styrene discs (BTW @CedB : I did check my current yogurt supply, it all comes in PS cups, so I still have that source of provisioning for cheap styrene :D )

fuselage25

These were from a 0.25mm sheet, so a bit thick for the scale; they looked better after some good sanding down

fuselage26

Since they were glued with TET, once cured I had no troubles whatsoever in drilling holes through them; here's a test fit for the still rod I'll be using

fuselage27

Now, that sensor/Venturi: it's the PE bit labelled as #5 in next pic

venturi1

which to be honest looked too flat to me; so I discarded it and scratch built a new one using the same steel rod as above, flattened with a hammer, reshaped and with a segment of brass pipe superglued on top

venturi2

I also added CA+flour on its shaft, as you can see, again to avoid that flat look.

Once refined, I test fitted it in place

venturi3

Sorry for the blurry pic; I will paint this later and set it aside till the very end of the build :winkgrin: 

Here's another thing for the fuselage: the pitot pipe

pitot1

A very prominent feature on the Lightning, obviously :D  I didn't want to glue it on at this point, because it's sure as hell I'd knock it off multiple times :banghead:; still, I didn't want to take the chance of gluing on top of NMF at the end of the build. Plus, I didn't quite like the kit rendition of it, so I decided to scratch build a new one

pitot2

This comes from a 1.1mm brass pipe, tapered towards the tip down to 0.85mm (I reproduced the same diameters of the plastic bit); on the tip, I fitted a segment of thinner brass pipe (I think it was 0.5mm), secured in place with CA. To taper the pipe, I simply put it into my Dremel head and held it against a flat file while spinning, to reach the desired shape and size.

I then cut the pitot base and drilled a receiving hole in it

pitot3

so that I could pin the pitot with the usual steel rod

pitot4

and fit it accordingly

pitot5

So I glued the base to the bottom of the fuselage with TET

pitot6

and refined the join with some CA. Here's after the cleanup

pitot7

Last thing for the fuselage: I drilled out the small intake at the base of the tail fin

fin_intake1

I should have done this earlier on, before fitting the tail fin to the fuselage ... :banghead:  Anyway, I did manage it :) 

Before fitting the wings and tail planes, I also wanted to paint the interior of the U/C bays dull aluminium; for this reason, i first airbrushed a coat of primer - my usual Vallejo Grey Primer and Future mix. Masking:

UCbays1

UCbays2

Primer on

UCbays3

UCbays4

and after airbrushing decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium

UCbays5

UCbays6

ready for wings now :)

One more little thing done, in the meantime: I glued the turbine faces to the exhaust cans

exhausts5

That's it for this progress report, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, giemme said:

venturi3

I will paint this later and set it aside till the very end of the build :winkgrin: 

Thank heavens for that!!! I thought you’d gone bonkers for a minute. 🤣

Lovely precise work. Sure you don’t want to try something bigger? 🤩🤪

Johnny

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I thought you’d gone bonkers for a minute.

No, not yet :rofl:  :rofl: 

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Sure you don’t want to try something bigger? 🤩🤪

Of course. But bigger for me it's 1/48 :D In fact, I'm just about to check a lovely box I have in my stash, it's HASEGAWA's P-51D in 1/48 :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, giemme said:

Of course. But bigger for me it's 1/48 :D In fact, I'm just about to check a lovely box I have in my stash, it's HASEGAWA's P-51D in 1/48 :rofl: 

Ciao

Gah!! You had me there fo a minute. I forget about your jet / prop formula. Still a mustang! Ace!!! As you can guess I have the 1/32 one Revell to make it easy on myself. 🤪😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Gah!! You had me there fo a minute. I forget about your jet / prop formula. Still a mustang! Ace!!! As you can guess I have the 1/32 one Revell to make it easy on myself. 🤪😉

:rofl: TBH though. I have a couple of big boxes myself (OK, not as big as 1/32): an Hasegawa F-16 and an Italeri F-14A, both in 1/48. And I'm very tempted by the ZM series of Phantoms, all in 1/48 :wink:  If only I had bigger shelves .... :winkgrin: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4