It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

19 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

The office work is amazing Giorgio. Cracking job.

which W&N flat coat do you use? And do you have to thin it? 
Johnny. 

Thanks J! :thumbsup:

I use W&N Galeria Acrylic Flat, as suggested by The Tool and Paint Master Himself, @CedB. :D

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

The seats look fantastic Giorgio.

Thank you Cookie, glad you like them :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress Giorgio! However, knowing how much you like your detail accuracy, I wonder if I should mention that those p.e. belts are fairly basic and there was a bit more strappery on a real Frightning seat;

5.jpg

Please feel free to completely ignore me... :)

Keith

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Seconded! Great stuff Giorgio :) 

Just a small point with the W&N Galeria varnishes - they're available in different sizes (75, 250 and 500ml) and you might be tempted to get the larger size as it's better value.

I bought the 250ml bottles some years ago and I still have 2/3 of the bottle left - it goes a long way when thinned (I use distilled water 50/50)

I have no idea how long this stuff lasts - the W&N data sheet says it's 'stable under normal storage conditions' but I've no idea what that means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Lovely work G, it seems like a good idea to get some of that varnish too

I'm really going to enjoy seeing this 'become' a Lightning

Thanks Bill, I hope I won't disappoint you :D :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

And do you have to thin it? 
Johnny. 

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The office is taking shape quite nicely G.

And I too have some W&N varnish to try out.

@CedB recommended 50/50 with IPA or Distilled water at 25 PSI using a 0.4 mm needle @The Spadgent.

Simon.

Apologies, Johnny - I answered in a hurry and forgot to mention the thinning ratio. Thanks Simon for stepping in :thumbsup: and for the comment too :thumbsup:

I should add that I probably thinned it a bit more than 50/50, with distilled water; I normally eyeball the thinning, till I get the mix flowing as I like it to - but I don't think it was that far from 50/50 :wink: 

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Stunning work on those seats Giorgio.

Terry

Cheers Terry, thank you :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice progress Giorgio! However, knowing how much you like your detail accuracy, I wonder if I should mention that those p.e. belts are fairly basic and there was a bit more strappery on a real Frightning seat;

Please feel free to completely ignore me... :)

Keith

I won't ignore you, Keith :) But I think that, apart from the leg restraints, it's all there - just in a too flat appearance :shrug: I'll see if I can add those, but it will certainly be at the end of the build, when I put the seats in place. I'm instead tempted to add the red and purple tags you see on the side; I'm gonna have to raid the spare decals...

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I'm blown away by the ejection seats. Absolutely incredible work!

Thank you :thumbsup:  But it's mostly due to the resin casting and the PE parts.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded! Great stuff Giorgio :) 

Just a small point with the W&N Galeria varnishes - they're available in different sizes (75, 250 and 500ml) and you might be tempted to get the larger size as it's better value.

I bought the 250ml bottles some years ago and I still have 2/3 of the bottle left - it goes a long way when thinned (I use distilled water 50/50)

I have no idea how long this stuff lasts - the W&N data sheet says it's 'stable under normal storage conditions' but I've no idea what that means.

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  Also for mentioning the size matter: in fact, I bought the 250 bottle of the flat varnish, it's definitely a better value!

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2020 at 09:53, 71chally said:

Superb fine work, the instrument panel and seats are excellent👌

Thank you James, much appreciated :thumbsup:

A quick mid-week update, since I managed some time at the bench tonight. In next pic, you can probably just about make out that I brush painted some Aqua gloss on the very tip of the radome (please excuse the blurry pic)

frontbay6

I then airbrushed  the U/C bay interior and the radome tip with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium

frontbay7

If you look at the radome tip, you should see that where I brush painted Aqua Gloss, the aluminium coat is shinier.

I then proceeded to paint the compressor face, using the stiff brush technique and Model Master Metallizer Gun Metal

compressor1

and here it is after highlighting the edges with Lifecolor Natural Metal and a black tempera wash (also, the surrounding area was brush painted Tamiya Flat Black, and flat coated with Italeri Flat Clear)

compressor2

I then glued it in position on starboard half fuselage

compressor3

I still have to paint the radome and glue it in, then I'll be almost ready to close the fuselage halves up! :yahoo:

Not tonight, though. Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice and steady does it G.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup: 

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Coo

I wish Hasegawa had put a compressor and radome in their kit

Yours looks excellent G

Thanks Bill :thumbsup:  I looked up the Hasegawa kit and saw what you mean: nose ring and radar cone all in one piece... :shrug: 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

More nice progress G, I do like your method of using Metallizer, the result is great!

K

Thanks Keith, glad you like it :thumbsup:  It was Cookie @Cookenbacher that pointed me to that method, to be honest :) 

Ciao

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Massimo said:

I had missed this one!!!!

Lovely detail on the interior! Looks very proming!!!

Well done Giorgio!:clap:

I'll be watching closely!!!

Thanks Massimo, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

Hi everybody, a question for the experts: I did paint the intake interior with light grey (an off-white, almost), based on the pics I saw here:

http://www.lightning.org.uk/engineering.html

I also did paint the front U/C bay interior aluminium, following Sword's instructions; the same instructions state that all the inner surfaces for U/C bays and doors should be aluminium. Now I realized that the intake pics on the link above are from a camouflaged aircraft, not a bare metal one; looking at other pics on the web, it would appear that camouflaged aircraft had light grey interiors also for U/C bays and their doors .... :confused:  Not having a single ref pic of this specific airframe I'm modelling, I'm now in doubt as to what is the correct choice; can anyone enlighten me? :please:

Ciao

• Like 1

There will be expert advice along shortly but I suspect that the intake interior is weathered light grey aluminium natural metal

Painting the intake seems like a bad idea to me, paint flakes = FOD

The pictures of the young lady entering the realm of aircraft fitters inside the duct seems to show just plain metal

A dull aluminium  seems to suit, it is what I have used on mine, I used Vallejo Aluminium and to be fair it is almost invisible down there in 1/72 scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

The pictures of the young lady entering the realm of aircraft fitters inside the duct seems to show just plain meta

Young lady? Are we looking at the same pictures?

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Painting the intake seems like a bad idea to me, paint flakes = FOD

I see your point; still, all my latest jet builds are of airplanes with painted intakes: Eurofighter Typhoon, SkyRay, A-10 Thunderbolt, Harrier, Phantom... :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

My vote would be for Aluminium also, might even have been painted.

I keep meaning to ask if you’re keeping well in the current situation.

Best wishes .

John

Thanks John, I'm doing good, this thing is a plain PITA though ...

Ciao

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Young lady? Are we looking at the same pictures?

Here's the excerpt from the film we were shown during trade training, once seen never forgotten, may not be considered work safe these days...   ...anyway, the Lightning part starts around 2:45.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Here's the excerpt from the film we were shown during trade training, once seen never forgotten, may not be considered work safe these days...   ...anyway, the Lightning part starts around 2:45.

Couldn't see the intake interior there, just the .... radome ... :D  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 3