It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

On 17/02/2020 at 13:53, Terry1954 said:

Watching very closely with my own T4/5 in mind. Also picked up Sword F3 and some nice decal sets at yesterday's show.

I feel a lightning in my not too distant future!

Terry

More than one, it would appear .... :D :thumbsup:  

On 17/02/2020 at 13:53, Spookytooth said:

Holy smoke G., some gaps to deal with there sir.

But I am sure that you will tackles with aplomb.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks for the vote of confidence ... :wink:  :thumbsup: 

Not really a progress to report, but I've finally made up my mind: upon thorough scrutiny of T4 and T5 IP pics and diagrams kindly provided by James @71chally and Ramon @Sting67, and comparing them to the PE IP provided by Sword, I determined that a T4 IP can be arranged, thus

ip

removing the panel in the red dotted circle and erasing the details pre-printed in the two green dotted circles, replacing them with suitable bezels (drilling out holes in the top PE panel and placing suitable decals on the bottom one)

And obviously, painting the whole thing black.

So the model will definitely represent a Lightning T4 of 111 Squadron, the first scheme from the top in next pic

schemi

Better get going ...  :D

Ciao

• Like 14

Well, it looks like you're going for the T.4 option,

In my thread I highlighted the scoops and vents that need removing or adding,

32927767853_d3dd937fab_b.jpgSword 1:72 Lightning T.4 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The red circles show the raised scoops to be removed, the orange circle a vent to be filled in.

There is a circular vent where the removed upper aft scoop was, that will be drilled open.

It was a while ago so double check though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Still looking ( occasionally )for my 111 Sqdn 2-seater picture, which I think was a T4. I have three picture books by ex-Lightning pilots, Chris Allan and Ian Black, and it’s not in the one I thought it was and I can’t find the other two! It was very shiny, with almost a mirror finish.

John.

PS. Ian Black is the son of George Black who led the 111 Sqdn aerobatic team.

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2020 at 10:55, Spookytooth said:

About time G. LOL.

Simon.

:rofl: Yeah, I know, .... :D  :D  

On 20/02/2020 at 12:40, 71chally said:

There is a circular vent where the removed upper aft scoop was, that will be drilled open.

It was a while ago so double check though!

Thanks James, I will. :thumbsup: Just to make sure I understood correctly: is the vent to be drilled open the one indicated by the arrow? (I hope you don't mind me editing your pic)

32927767853_d3dd937fab_b

On 20/02/2020 at 14:30, Biggles87 said:

Still looking ( occasionally )for my 111 Sqdn 2-seater picture, which I think was a T4. I have three picture books by ex-Lightning pilots, Chris Allan and Ian Black, and it’s not in the one I thought it was and I can’t find the other two! It was very shiny, with almost a mirror finish.

John.

PS. Ian Black is the son of George Black who led the 111 Sqdn aerobatic team.

Thanks John - I'm not rushing this :wink:  so whenever you find those pics, they're gonna be very useful :thumbsup: 

On 20/02/2020 at 14:47, The Spadgent said:

Looking solid Giorgio.  Gap shmap. You’ll sort that out in no time. 🤩🥳

Johnny.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Johnny :thumbsup:  :D 

I'll post an update tonight; later guys :D 

Ciao

• Like 4

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Just to make sure I understood correctly: is the vent to be drilled open the one indicated by the arrow? (I hope you don't mind me editing your pic)

Ciao

been a while since I was all over this, but I believe so, 

have a look at this,

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/English-Electric-Lightning-T4/1762858/L

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

been a while since I was all over this, but I believe so, 

have a look at this,

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/English-Electric-Lightning-T4/1762858/L

Great pic James, thanks! :thumbsup:

Hi everybody, here's a propre update. I modified the IP to somewhat resemble the T4 version, so I drilled some additional holes in the top PE part

IP1

and used it as a template to mark where to put gauge decals on the bottom PE part

IP2

Then I realized I forgot to modify the top part of the IP, so I went back to it and  added two more holes

IP3

Then I posed the decals, raided from the spares box

IP4

And here's the final outcome, glued to the backing plastic plate and suitably painted (it also received a dark grey drybrush and a W&N matt coat by brush - BTW @CedB I'm sold on this stuff, it's just great!! Thanks for pointing me there :thanks: 

IP5

Time for some prepping on the tub: first off, using a razor blade I removed the instructor's throttle panel, because the kit shows the T5 configuration

cockpit1

then I re-located it in the middle of the tub, in between the two control sticks

cockpit2

To set it at the right-ish height, I placed it over a 4 layers 0.5mm styrene sheet support

cockpit3

I then added the back plate

cockpit4

and once cured, I added some solder and copper wire to make it look busy - I had no actual ref pic to go along, so it's kind of an artistic license here ... :wink: 

cockpit5

Time for some black paint: Tamiya Flat Black, thinned with cellulose and airbrushed at around 1 bar

cockpit6

same for the seats

seats2

and the inner side of the fuselage halves

cockpit7

BTW: does anybody know what the color of the intake inside should be?

Speaking of intake, I also started working on the pointy thing protruding from it, actually the back part which also contains the front wheel well: there should have been a locating support for the front wheel strut, according to the instructions, but there actually was none. Here is my attempt at rebuilding it, plus some ribbing re-instating after clean up

frontbay1

Once the two halves were glued, I added a 0.5mm small styrene plate, with a suitable hole drilled in it

frontbay2

I think you can spot some blue tack holding it in place while the glue is setting. The radar cone also received some attention: it didn't look pointy enough to me, so I added some CA+flour to the tip and filed to shape

cone1

Better, but I think it still needs a bit of TLC.

Last thing for the day, I glued the wing halves

wings1

The fit wasn't bad, but there's gonna be some work to tidy up the seams - oh well, it's all good fun :D 

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 20

I probably won't describe this well, but I have one of these half built and I was concerned that with no internal support, the fuselage halves may pop open seams when trying to fix the wings. The wings are a tight fit and some pressure seemed necessary to get a good fit.

I pondered fitting the wings before joining the fuselage halves, but decided to fit a strengthening post between the halves to absorb the pressure needed to get a good wing fit.

Here's the post, it is trimmed so it fits into a hole in each fuselage half.

49575674173_a115a45844_c.jpg

View from outside showing post snuggled into its locating hole.

49576410377_bee8ec0ef7_b.jpg

This adds strength and will  stop me 'poping the fuselage seams when I apply pressure to get the wings on.

Maybe overthinking it...?

Matt

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Giorgio, this is coming along beautifully, a master class in T-bird Lightnings, just what I was after. ;) :D

14 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

I don't think so, it makes sense to me, I'll likely try something similar come the day.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

IP5

See Giorgio, I told you that you'd have no problem making a T4 IP - that looks excellent!!

The rest of the progress looks good too! I do slightly wonder if you have the instructors throttle pedestal tall enough? Generally throttle levers are around the same height as the stick top?

46 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I don't think so, it makes sense to me, I'll likely try something similar come the day.

Me too, and like Steve I'll be doing much the same - good tip!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well G, looks like a good start made there.

Lets hope that the front U/C gives you no grief.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:  I'm doing a lot of dryfitting for the front leg, this should hopefully lead to no surprises in the end...

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Brilliant work on the I/P Giorgio and a great start on the cockpit tub.

Terry

Thank you Terry! :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, Mattlow said:

This adds strength and will  stop me 'poping the fuselage seams when I apply pressure to get the wings on.

Matt

Thank you Matt, that sounds like a brilliant idea :thumbsup: I haven't test fitted the wings yet, and I hope to remember your hint when I come to that point .... :wink:   Not a memory problem, really, it's just that I'm slow.... :shrug:  :D 

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Giorgio, this is coming along beautifully, a master class in T-bird Lightnings, just what I was after. ;) :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve, very kind of you :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

See Giorgio, I told you that you'd have no problem making a T4 IP - that looks excellent!!

The rest of the progress looks good too! I do slightly wonder if you have the instructors throttle pedestal tall enough? Generally throttle levers are around the same height as the stick top?

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  As for the pedestal, I don't have my references at hand right now, but what I tried to do was eyeballing it with the bottom of the IP; pics then show long throttle levers, which probably bring all up level with the control sticks. I'll double check tonight, but anyway I'm not adding those levers at this point: too many chances of knocking them off :banghead: 

Ciao

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mattlow said:

I agree with @stevehnz, certainly not overdoing it, but wisely cautious I would say. I shall use that idea in the future, especially on my two Sword Lightnings.

Terry

• Like 2

I must admit I stick the wings on while the fuselage is in two halves, both with the Sword and Airfix kits, but it suits my foil finish approach to making these kits.

You have to be very careful that the wings are correctly aligned though.

lovely progress there Giorgio.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2020 at 09:46, Mattlow said:

Giorgio

I forgot to say how much I'm looking forward to seeing you work on this. Mine's an F-3 but I'm sure there'll be useful stuff to pick up (steal) from your build.

Cheers

Matt

Cheers Matt, thank you :thumbsup: Feel free to steal/pick up anything from my build, I'd be glad if it turns out useful :) 

On 24/02/2020 at 11:18, 71chally said:

I must admit I stick the wings on while the fuselage is in two halves, both with the Sword and Airfix kits, but it suits my foil finish approach to making these kits.

You have to be very careful that the wings are correctly aligned though.

lovely progress there Giorgio.

Thank you James :thumbsup:  About the wings, see below what I did

On 25/02/2020 at 17:14, CedB said:

Excellent i/p Giorgio, great work :clap2:

Pleased you like the varnish too 👍

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  And the varnish is definitely great stuff!

On 25/02/2020 at 18:09, Cookenbacher said:

Giorgio, adding impossible levels of detail? That's weird.

Oh wait, it's what you ALWAYS do. Fantastic cockpit Giorgio.

:D  Thanks Cookie, way too kind :thumbsup:

Here's a quick update, since I manged a couple of hours at the bench tonight:

the tub received some detail painting and some dry brush, first with Lifecolor Dark Grey, then with Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey

cockpit8

It doesn't look particularly fancy, but with the IP and seats in place should definitely improve. I might add some detail painting on the side consoles and maybe some more detail, but I'll wait to position the IP before that.

The seats received some base coats too:

seats3

Brush painted with Lifecolor Tan, Sand Yellow and Dark Olive, then clear coated with Aqua Gloss. After they cure, I'll add some highlights and glue in the PE belts and harnesses.

Wings: here's a dryfit

wings2

wings3

To get to that point, though, I had to work on both the aligning tab and the receiving slot, both sides

wings4

Basically I had to shorten and reduce the thickness of the tabs, but also enlarge the slots (height and width) in the fuselage halves. This way the fit is pretty smooth, but I'm not ruling out @Mattlow's idea of an internal reinforcement yet.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are seams to be taken care of 

wings5

wings6

Nothing really dramatic, as you can see.

wings7

The additional dent you see on port wing isn't a feature of this model, just me being overzealous in removing the part from the sprue runner.... :banghead: 

CA+flour will take care of that :winkgrin:

That's it for this update, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

8 hours ago, giemme said:

It doesn't look particularly fancy…

Not from where I'm looking! Very realistic Giorgio - I might try that on the Skeeter.

I agree with Cookie - I'm always impressed by your detailed work :) 

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2020 at 08:19, CedB said:

Not from where I'm looking! Very realistic Giorgio - I might try that on the Skeeter.

I agree with Cookie - I'm always impressed by your detailed work :) 

Thanks Ced, glad you like it :) 

More done on the seats: highlights

seats4

then all the PE parts to tart them up

seats5

seats6

They then received a black tempera wash and a W&N flat coat, airbrushed

seats7

I did spray that on the tub, too

cockpit9

Amazing stuff, so easy to use and gives a wonderful flat finish; I don't know how I got along without this so far!

The IP got glued in place too

cockpit10

Then I started working on the fuselage halves, removing the vents according to James @71chally's diagram and shortening the cable ducts - next pic is an in progress, not completed yet

fuselage3

I also put together the radome assembly, filling it with as much fishing leads as I could

frontbay3

Time for a dryfit, with cockpit and radome in place

intake1

unless you point alight straight into the intake, not much is visible from outside. Using the flash

intake2

So I decided to paint the intake interior off-white, mixing Tamiya Flat White with Sky Grey

intake3

Same for the radome

frontbay4

and the front bay

frontbay5

This is now curing, before the final paint job for the front bay and the radome.

I did spray the same color on the "visible" part of the tub

intake4

Lots of scratches there, I might need to go over it with one more coat.

That's it for this WE progress report, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16