It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

On 13/08/2020 at 12:53, keefr22 said:

I think it is their personal equipment connectors -- which I think (again) would connect to their oxygen mask and G suit (although these guys don't seem to be wearing one?) and to 'somewhere' in the jet (I want to say the side of the seat, but could be wrong on that and it might be the side console). My only fast jet experience was a 40 minute post maintenance test flight with an instructor from Valley in a Hunter T7, and I really can't remember where things went, way too excited for that! 🤣

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: I decided I'll leave that out for the moment, and add it only once I have painted the pilots - I hope I can find some detail pics for it :) 

A Hunter, uh? Lucky you :D 

On 14/08/2020 at 21:22, The Spadgent said:

I’m actually glad it’s hot. I’m not missing anything. 🤗

Indeed, I've slowed down quite a bit (if that's even possible, considering my glacial pace... :shrug:)

Anyway, here's a small update: the boarding ladders were airbrushed with a mix of Lifecolor blues

ladders8

I'm getting used to my new PROCON 270 and it's sweeet - it took two coats for the ladders, one darker and one slightly lighter, but sprayed up close and with the mac valve almost completely close. Incredible level of control!

The FOD guard received some detail painting and some touch up on the red

diorama13

It's been gloss coated since, so the red patch has completely blended in with the rest - forgot to take a pic though, I'll post it next time. Now it needs some highlights and some weathering

(as do the ladders)

I then went back to the pilots: thanks to Keith @keefr22's photo, I modified the white band going along the left leg, by adding some length of alu tape, but decided to discard the additional pocket because I fear anything added there would be way out of scale

diorama14

I also had to to some more filling (using PPP), as a couple of gaps escaped the previous inspection

diorama15

After respraying a light flat black coat (Tamiya), I added some light grey to the ladders blue mix and airbrushed the pilots' bodies

diorama16

Then I did some detail painting by brush, to wit the faces and bone domes. Flesh tones painted with various mixes of Lifecolor paints, while the silver on the helmets is an acrylic lacquer; the sunscreens were gloss coated with Tamiya Gloss Clear

diorama17

diorama18

That's it for the day - and this is the last update for a while, since starting tomorrow I'll be off for a couple of weeks, spending my holidays in southern Italy.

Stay safe and cool you all - I'll keep an eye on you guys :D 

Ciao

• Like 19

Coming along very nicely,  now have a great holiday.

Those are the PEC danglies which did fit onto the gubbins on the right side of the seat (I am so GOOOOOD at technical terms, me.)

The guys should have been wearing G-trousers under the coveralls, hence the PEC, John will be sure to remember that.

With tubes for gas'n'air ( I jest) and a wire for the telecoms on the single fit connector.

aircrew-equipment-anti-trousers-pec_360_

Some day, maybe I might be able to paint little men.

Maybe...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

but decided to discard the additional pocket

You did right to do that Giorgio, as John @Biggles87 correctly pointed out, my two pocket growbag was from a later period than you're depicting where the guys only had the one pocket. Your little drivers are looking spot on so far - apart from the bone domes which to my memory are far too shiny, the real ones being a dull matt aluminium (maybe you're intending to matt them down anyway, if so apols for jumping the gun!  :) ) Ladders are looking fine too!

Keith   

Edit : missed the holidays bit - have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice paint job Giorgio - have a great holiday, stay safe and well! :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

Coming along very nicely,  now have a great holiday.

Those are the PEC danglies which did fit onto the gubbins on the right side of the seat (I am so GOOOOOD at technical terms, me.)

The guys should have been wearing G-trousers under the coveralls, hence the PEC, John will be sure to remember that.

With tubes for gas'n'air ( I jest) and a wire for the telecoms on the single fit connector.

aircrew-equipment-anti-trousers-pec_360_

Some day, maybe I might be able to paint little men.

Maybe...

Thank you for the ... ehm... technical explanation, Bill :D :thumbsup: I can't see your pic, though :shrug:

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You did right to do that Giorgio, as John @Biggles87 correctly pointed out, my two pocket growbag was from a later period than you're depicting where the guys only had the one pocket. Your little drivers are looking spot on so far - apart from the bone domes which to my memory are far too shiny, the real ones being a dull matt aluminium (maybe you're intending to matt them down anyway, if so apols for jumping the gun!  :) ) Ladders are looking fine too!

Keith   

Edit : missed the holidays bit - have a great time!

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: TBH there is a small pocket on the left leg, same color as of the rest of the suit, but it's hardly noticeable on the pics; it would have stood out too much if I tried to add it.

As for the helmets,  you guessed right, I will give them a flat coat but only at the end, when I'm done with washes and weathering.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

As Bill said, they seemed to wear the anti G trousers under the flying suit in those days, perhaps they didn’t want people to think they were sissies for needing them, but the ‘ danglies ‘ gave them away. .Dont’t forget the little yellow/orange patch for the escape knife next to the right pocket.

John

PS. Can’t  see your pictures Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Blimey O'Riley

The picture has vanished from my trace history but was a very good shot of the metallic mid green connector plate and the hoses and telecom cable fitted

Sorry it didn't transfer, I will seek another

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, I'm back :)  Actually, I've been back for a week now, but it's been quite hectic :frantic:  Still, I managed a little time at the bench. First things first, though:

On 21/08/2020 at 14:49, Spookytooth said:

Hey G, have a great holiday mate.

Don`t worry about the place, we keep an eye on it.

Nice work on the extra`s dear chap.

Simon and Rose.

Thanks Simon and Lady Rose :thumbsup: I did have great hols, BTW :) 

On 21/08/2020 at 20:26, Cookenbacher said:

I forgot what a talented figure painter you are Giorgio, the faces and visors on the pilots look incredible.

The heat has really sapped my mojo as well, two days after I talked to you it was 43°C (109°F) here!

Cheers Cookie, very kind of you :thumbsup: 43°C????!!!! Heck, that's hot even for LA! I think it was just meant for me not to come this year - hopefully I'll be able to come next year, and maybe with a cooler weather .... 

On 21/08/2020 at 20:42, Biggles87 said:

I forgot to wish you a good holiday, so have a good holiday.

John

Thanks John , it was indeed good :) :thumbsup: 

On 22/08/2020 at 13:17, perdu said:

Blimey O'Riley

The picture has vanished from my trace history but was a very good shot of the metallic mid green connector plate and the hoses and telecom cable fitted

Sorry it didn't transfer, I will seek another

No problem Bill :thumbsup: 

On 22/08/2020 at 23:34, TheBaron said:

Beautiful colour progress! :clap:

Safe travels and have a great holiday Giorgio.

Thanks Tony, see below for a quick holiday report :winkgrin: 

On 24/08/2020 at 00:50, The Spadgent said:

Great work. Those little guys are amazing. 🙌 Have a lovely Holiday Giorgio. 👍

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: As I said, hols were lovely :D 

On 29/08/2020 at 21:22, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio--great work so far and thank you for all the info you always share--best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thanks - glad you like it :thumbsup:

Before the actual update, this was the place:

spiaggia

We often had company

formation

apologies for the pic, this formation made a fly by right above my head but I wasn't quick enough with my phone camera, and caught them only when they were heading away. The place was quite close to the 61° Stormo base, which is a training unit; the aircraft ahead is a Leonardo M346, while the other two are MB339

Anyway, pilots painted

diorama19

diorama20

(I did dull coat the helmets, the light in this pic is actually tricking the eye, they aren't this shiny at all)

Boarding ladders

diorama21

and the FOD intake cover

diorama22

Here's what I still need to do:

- chocks

- paint the four crewmen

- scratch build the flying suits connection pipes and place them on the pilots 

and this too

On 21/08/2020 at 13:59, Biggles87 said:

Dont’t forget the little yellow/orange patch for the escape knife next to the right pocket.

Then I can place everything on the base.

Next time, though. All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

Good to see you back on the bench.  Very nice beach and clear water there, but I would be annoyed by taking some noisy jets over there. (Ok, a bit damaged here since my youth with more than one sonic boom a day then, when they cruised here everyday.)  Nice work on the pilot, ladder and especially on the "saftey" ring.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Glad you had a good time, did you plan it to be near an air base or was it a happy coincidence?

About a week after we moved here a military fast jet flew over and SWMBO looked at me and accused me of choosing a low flying area to live, and I told her that the whole of rural France is a low flying area. We don’t see as many or as much variety any more unfortunately.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Before the actual update, this was the place:

That azure-tourqoise sky and bay look beautiful Giorgio. Place to dream in. 😻

Ladder, FOD cover and pilots not bad either! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good to see that you had blue skies and sea sir.

Nice painting of the crew mate.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Good to see you back on the bench.  Very nice beach and clear water there, but I would be annoyed by taking some noisy jets over there. (Ok, a bit damaged here since my youth with more than one sonic boom a day then, when they cruised here everyday.)  Nice work on the pilot, ladder and especially on the "saftey" ring.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :thumbsup: I was actually quite happy to see them flying about, but inmost of the cases they were flying way too high even to be spotted, so not annoying at all :) 

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Glad you had a good time, did you plan it to be near an air base or was it a happy coincidence?

About a week after we moved here a military fast jet flew over and SWMBO looked at me and accused me of choosing a low flying area to live, and I told her that the whole of rural France is a low flying area. We don’t see as many or as much variety any more unfortunately.

John

John, let's say that it wasn't my first holiday there - I was in Puglia, were for instance a few years ago I spotted Eurofighters doing fly-by more than once. Luckily, the place has a few AMI bases, so it's not that I planned it like that, but I knew there was this bonus... :D 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Welcome back Giorgio! Glad you had a good break :) 

Those pilots and bits look great - can't wait to see them on the base.

Thanks Ced, glad you like them! :thumbsup: Can't wait to complete this either, the Stuka keeps staring at me ....

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That azure-tourqoise sky and bay look beautiful Giorgio. Place to dream in. 😻

Ladder, FOD cover and pilots not bad either! :thumbsup2:

It's indeed a nice spot, tony :D  Thank you for your comment, too :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Bill’s post about the PEC connectors has just reminded me. About 25 years ago there was a paint company called Gloy whose range  was aimed mostly at railway modellers who produced metallic colours and I bought their Metallic Blue and Metallic green, the green specifically for ejection seat PEC boxes and the blue for the equipment bay behind the cockpits of early F15s. I still have them and they are both still useable.

John 

• Like 1