It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

Hi everybody; sorry for the lack of updates, but what with this heat, and me going again for a quick trip to the seaside last Sunday and all... :) 

Anyway, here's what I managed: ladder #1 ready

ladders5

quickly followed by ladder #2 and a FOD intake guard

ladders6

ladders7

Now, I do not intend to place the FOD cover on the intake, I'm trying to decide if I want it laying on the ground or held by some crew, in the process of being removed (or placed ...?)

Here's an attempt at a little scene, with pilots and crew (kindly donated by @phantom61)

diorama1

diorama2

Maybe the pilots need to stay a little closer

diorama3

From the top

diorama4

I have more crew I bought myself, trying to decide if they are needed or not. Any thought on the layout would be much appreciated.

On a different subject, I made myself a birthday present :)  :winkgrin:

curio

Ciao

• Like 23

Smashing atmospherics starting to come together on the diorama elements now Giorgio! :thumbsup2:

There's some film here over at the IWM with Lightning ground crew scenes that might give some ideas for poses/activity?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060021601

A groovy soundtrack too! 

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

On a different subject, I made myself a birthday present

You deserve it. Many happy returns and much happy cutting Giorgio! :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Smashing atmospherics starting to come together on the diorama elements now Giorgio! :thumbsup2:

There's some film here over at the IWM with Lightning ground crew scenes that might give some ideas for poses/activity?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060021601

A groovy soundtrack too! 

You deserve it. Many happy returns and much happy cutting Giorgio! :cheers:

Thanks Tony, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

The film is great too, some useful hint in there for my little scene :thanks: And the soundtrack is so sixties  :rofl:

Ciao 

• Like 4

Beautiful build and a very patient and efficient mastering of the occured modelling disasters. 👍

And of course from my side... a very Happy Birthday to you! 🎂

Cheers

Ramon

• Thanks 1

Oh ! That's a great gift Mr G....

Happy birthday to you !! Have a Mc Chouffe on my behalf, I say one but it's purely indicative of course.

So, It will mark the end of the decals for your kits...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday to you Giorgio, hope you had a good time. Good to see the  pilots talking the international language of aviators, with their hands. 

So you’re suffering from the heat also, Meteo forecast 38deg for today and tomorrow and our pool has turned green!!

Stay cool

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course I love those crew figures!

Nice birthday present Giorgio - I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on… cutting up to 2mm? Stippling and etching? Looks pretty useful… :) 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Beautiful build and a very patient and efficient mastering of the occured modelling disasters. 👍

And of course from my side... a very Happy Birthday to you! 🎂

Cheers

Ramon

Thank you Ramon, much appreciated :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh ! That's a great gift Mr G....

Happy birthday to you !! Have a Mc Chouffe on my behalf, I say one but it's purely indicative of course.

So, It will mark the end of the decals for your kits...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  I've had a Blanche de Namur instead (I was out of McChouffe, sadly ... :D ) As for the Curio, I'm planning to use it as much as possible :winkgrin:

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Happy Birthday to you Giorgio, hope you had a good time. Good to see the  pilots talking the international language of aviators, with their hands. 

So you’re suffering from the heat also, Meteo forecast 38deg for today and tomorrow and our pool has turned green!!

Stay cool

John

Thanks John, I did have a good time :thumbsup: 

Temperature in my area is in the low 30s, but the humidity is quite high - luckily I managed to keep my pool tidy :) 

33 minutes ago, CedB said:

Of course I love those crew figures!

Nice birthday present Giorgio - I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on… cutting up to 2mm? Stippling and etching? Looks pretty useful… :) 

I thought you would, Ced :winkgrin: 

First task for the Curio is to cut 0.2mm plastic card for the F-4 Phantom seamless intakes, using the template @Gene K kindly provided. And what with etching brass sheet for some scratch built parts? :winkgrin:

I'm likely going to play with it next WE, so bear with me :)

Ciao

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

Loving the scene setting there Giemme, and those ladders!

nice choice of birthday present!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thank you :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The Lightening and newly recruited crew look the biz Giorgio, and yes, a superb choice of birthday present.

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I was so impressed with the present itself, I forgot to add a "Happy Birthday" from me also!

Terry

Thanks Terry, much appreciated :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Happy Birthday G - if it's been hope you had a great time, if it's still to come, hope you have a great time! :) 

Nice pressie!

Nice work on those fiddly metal bits too...!!

K

It was yesterday K, and I had a great time, thank you :thumbsup:  The ladders were indeed fiddly (and TBH they are missing a couple of very minor bits, but don't tell anyone ... :winkgrin: :D )

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Ditto from me here. Nice diorama. Looks very convincing so far.

Cheers

Cheers Ben, glad to know you approve :) :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Happy birthday Giorgio!

Can't wait to see what all you come up with to make with the Silhouette.

Oh, and looking forward to the Lightning diorama.

Thank you, Cookie :thumbsup:  If this heat calms down a bit, I'm gonna start playing with the Curio this WE :) 

And painting the ladders and figures of course, my next build box is staring at me from the workbench already ....  :D 

Ciao

• Like 3

A belated Happy Birthday Giorgio, I did see the bit about the profile cutter but it went clean over the top, that's night shifts for you & that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it. :D

All the best,

Steve.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A belated Happy Birthday Giorgio, I did see the bit about the profile cutter but it went clean over the top, that's night shifts for you & that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it. :D

All the best,

Steve.

Cheers Steve, no problem :D Thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Looking better by the minute Giorgio (Happy - belated - birthday also).

Derek

Cheers Derek, very kind of you :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hey, sorry G. I missed your birthday mate, we hope that you had a  great day.

The dio looks like it is coming to shape quite nicely.

And you are getting a "Tool addict" like @CedB.

Simon.

No problem, Simon - thank you! :thumbsup:

Not like Ced, that level is unattainable,  but in Ced's guise yes, maybe.... :winkgrin: :D

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Diorama looks great and those ladders. 🙌🙌🙌 A new tool!! Lovely. Belated birthday wishes dear boy. Hope you had a great one. 
Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup: 

A quick update, everyone: there's not much I can do in this heat, with my basement and garage now at 26°C - definitely not good for spraying acrylics :frantic:

So I just prepared this lot for primer

diorama5

and this

diorama6

Then I decided it was time to install the Curio and start playing with it: first test was with @Gene K's seamless intake template for the F-4 Phantom, in 1/72

intakes

these were cut out of a 0.3mm styrene sheet, and they came out perfect at the first attempt (I did actually follow some hints from a tutorial I watched on Youtube)- so I was pretty happy with it :) 

The heat wave is supposed give us a break tonight, so I'll hopefully be able to paint something during the next few days.

In the meantime, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 10