It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

On 13/07/2020 at 14:31, Massimo said:

Looking gorgeous!!!

Great job with that sealant!

Bravo Giorgio!!!!

Thanks Massimo, great to hear form you! Glad you like her :thumbsup:

On 19/07/2020 at 01:29, The Spadgent said:

Very swish. Hope the beach went well. 🏝

Cheers Johnny, thanks! :thumbsup: The beach was great, and so was dinner after the beach, see below :winkgrin:

On 19/07/2020 at 23:51, VT Red Sox Fan said:

I echo what everyone has been saying--the cockpit is awesome--I really like the different tones on the back cockpit.  Best, Erwin 

Thank you Erwin, much appreciated.

Apologies everybody for the lack of updates, but I was trying to get the airframe completed and I finally succeeded last night at around 1 am :D

First things first, though: the beach was great last week, as I said, and the day ended with this:

chitarra1

Actually, this is how it ended :D 

chitarra2

Then this finally showed up, around mid-week

procon

I order it back in April from Japan, but with all the Covid related shipping troubles, it only arrived a few days ago - can't wait to try it out :)

Back tot the model: as I said it's now completed, here are the final steps. I glued in the resin exhausts using CA

exhaust9

exhaust

Same thing for the side pylons

pylons3

The front wheel strut was glued in with CA too, while the main struts with a mix of TET, Gator's Grip and CA (not all at the same time, obvs :wink: )

struts5

And all at a sudden...  she's on wheels! :yahoo: 

onwheels1

Her stance looks pretty good to me

onwheels2

Once the wheels and struts had cured properly, I added the bay doors

onwheels3

Then it was time for the missiles

missiles4

missiles5

Then at some point on Sunday I was browsing through @The Spadgent's Venom build and read about his bang seats dryfit, so I thought I'd better do that myself before committing to glue them in - and it's just as well I did it, because they didn't fit .... 

seats9

🤬 🤬 🤬 The problem is sideways, to wit the seat belts fooling the overall width. I had to remove them (no big deal) but in doing so I accidentally popped off one the firing handles on one and mangled starboard pylon.... 

After some cursing and swearing, I did manage to put everything back in place, including the seats and their belts (which I had to mutilate to be able to fit them after I inserted the seats in the cockpit)

seats10

seats11

Last few bits: top antennae (scratch built, I ditched the PE parts supplied with the kits because they looked way too flat) and sensor (also scratch built, a while ago, if you remember)

antennae1

Then another blade antenna near the front wheel well (this time from the supplied PE fret), the steel rod for the pitot and the canopy

antennae2

I did scratch build the canopy opening arm from a paper clip, the supplied plastic part was just nonsense.

And eventually...

finished1

finished2

Tentative placing on her base

finished3

Now I only need to complete the ladders; one almost done

ladders4

the other one not quite as much. They proved to be quite fiddly, and Pixnor tweezers were an invaluable help to put them together.

I also need to decide a layout for the figures and, more important, paint them ....

That's it for this update, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 26

On 20/07/2020 at 22:25, CedB said:

Looking gorgeous Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup:

On 20/07/2020 at 22:38, bbudde said:

That looks fine Giorgio!  The empty plate  shows your progressive work at all.

Btw: Great work on the Lightning. State of art by now, I guess.

Cheers

:D That was an easy job, Ben - the pasta dish, I mean :rofl: 

Thanks for the praise too :thumbsup:

On 20/07/2020 at 23:44, rob85 said:

That’s a beautiful model, absolutely fantastic finish especially after some of the troubles you had!

Rob

Thanks Rob :thumbsup: Completing this was indeed quite a relief, after the damage I inflicted to it :phew:

On 21/07/2020 at 04:10, Cookenbacher said:

Beautiful work Giorgio, and glad the airbrush finally arrived!

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup: Can't wait to test the new airbrush :yahoo:

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Simply lovely Frightning Giorgio, gorgeous model! She looks great on the base too!

Keith

Thanks Keith, I'm glad you like her! :thumbsup: I won't be able to put her in the vertical pose now, though ... :shrug: :D

7 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, This is awesome--I really liked how you used the tacky material to get the canopy to sit at the correct angle... best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin! :thumbsup: I often use blue tack to hold parts in place when the mating surfaces are slim and I use a slow setting glue :wink: 

3 minutes ago, CJP said:

Lovely job on the Lightning Giemme  - that ladder is a work of art too

cjp

Thank you CJP! :thumbsup:  The ladder is proving very fiddly to assemble, but there's a lot of details in it, so it should hopefully look good once painted - I should actually say "in them", because the ladders are two... :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 3

On 7/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, Fritag said:

How can you not love the Lightening? 

On 7/8/2020 at 1:12 PM, Biggles87 said:

By a strange coincidence, while clearing a space in the barn for a new fridge/freezer I found a plastic shopping bag which contained these, amongst other things

This thread brings tears to my eyes - having become an ATC C Cat (?) instructor in 1968 and then completed the Lightning OCU in 1971 followed by a short tour on the aeroplane before being dragged kicking and screaming to CFS and thence...

My only hope is you won't put the overwing tanks on, the aeroplane was a dog with them fitted and an utter joy without them.  Edit.Oops! Forgot it was a T bird.  More apologies!

Thoroughly enjoying the build and apologies for hijacking the thread for a reminisce!

Skip.

Edited by Skip
Incorrect information.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Skip said:

This thread brings tears to my eyes - having become an ATC C Cat (?) instructor in 1968 and then completed the Lightning OCU in 1971 followed by a short tour on the aeroplane before being dragged kicking and screaming to CFS and thence...

My only hope is you won't put the overwing tanks on, the aeroplane was a dog with them fitted and an utter joy without them.  Edit.Oops! Forgot it was a T bird.  More apologies!

Thoroughly enjoying the build and apologies for hijacking the thread for a reminisce!

Skip.

No apologies needed, Skip - quite the contrary, I'm always very happy to hear from first hand experienced people :thumbsup: Being Italian and not qualified to fly, I do struggle with English aviator's acronyms, though; could you please explain the three you used in your post?

TIA

Ciao

28 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

She looks wonderful G.

Cannot wait to see her with the base finished as well.

Thanks Simon, I can't wait either :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

The food looked very tasty , washed down with some fine vino ?

Unfortunately not, because I had to drive a good 400km afterwards... :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skip said:

completed the Lightning OCU in 1971 followed by a short tour on the aeroplane before being dragged kicking and screaming to CFS

Colour me jealous.  For the tour on the Lightning......defo not for the CFS :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Colour me jealous.  For the tour on the Lightning......defo not for the CFS :D

CFS? OCU? Anyone, please? Poor Italian sod not understanding ... :shrug:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, giemme said:

CFS? OCU? Anyone, please? Poor Italian sod not understanding ...

Central Flying School and Operational Conversion Unit .......... equally poor brit!

The Lightning is magnificent Giorgio!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Central Flying School and Operational Conversion Unit .......... equally poor brit!

The Lightning is magnificent Giorgio!

Terry

Cheers Terry, thank you - you're a star :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely beautiful. Love all the little touches you add to make it “just right” I think @CedB is right. It’s that bottled attention to detail you have in spades. 👍

New Airbush too. Nice, is it a good one? Mine is getting rather old these days but I do keep her clean so she is still doing me proud.  Looking forward to seeing the last few steps. Looks like you popped me to the post on finishing. 🙌

Johnny.

ps. Glad you got the seats sorted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1