It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

OK you asked for it.

Around 1970 I worked at an ATC radar unit at Manchester where we were responsible for traffic up to FL250 ( 25,000ft ) and the higher level traffic was controlled by a joint civil/military unit ( Lindholme ) further east. We used to monitor the high level traffic and display it on edge lit Perspex boards so that we could pick it up in the event of any radar failure at Lindholme. There is an airway called Blue One which runs roughly easy/west across the UK, passing over Manchester and out over the east coast, and there was a military crossing point out towards the coast to allow the many military jets to cross the safely. This was when the RAF had a proper Air Force and of course there were many Lightnings around in those days. I can’t remember exactly the lower level of the airway at that point, probably about FL150 so a lot of the military traffic went below it, but you always knew it was a Lightning when the reply to the question  “ what is your present heading “ was a muffled “ vertical!”

John

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

you always knew it was a Lightning when the reply to the question  “ what is your present heading “ was a muffled “ vertical!”

There was no better answer, was there? :D :D  Thanks for the story, John :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4

Talking of vertical. We were taken on a familiarisation trip to Coningsby during our I.O.T. At the time it was home to the Phantom OCU and a couple of operational Phantom squadrons. A couple of 5 Squadron Lightnings had pitched up earlier in the day, and after having lunch it was time for them to head home, so we all stopped to watch(be rude not to, wouldn't it!?) . Two Frightnings sitting on the end of the runway running up to full dry power on the brakes was impressive - then they lit the burners - wow! After seemingly no time at all, leader rotates, wingman follows, gear up and they both pull hard back on the stick to a full rate vertical climb, disappearing rather quickly into the wild blue!

You could almost hear them thinking 'Follow that, double ugly drivers'....!! :)

Keith

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

That’s a cracking result, she looks stunning!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Talking of vertical. We were taken on a familiarisation trip to Coningsby during our I.O.T. At the time it was home to the Phantom OCU and a couple of operational Phantom squadrons. A couple of 5 Squadron Lightnings had pitched up earlier in the day, and after having lunch it was time for them to head home, so we all stopped to watch(be rude not to, wouldn't it!?) . Two Frightnings sitting on the end of the runway running up to full dry power on the brakes was impressive - then they lit the burners - wow! After seemingly no time at all, leader rotates, wingman follows, gear up and they both pull hard back on the stick to a full rate vertical climb, disappearing rather quickly into the wild blue!

You could almost hear them thinking 'Follow that, double ugly drivers'....!! :)

Keith

:D :D Good old pilot rivalry, is it? :rofl:

That vertical climb must have been a thrill to watch! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The base looks great G. basic enough not to detract from the bird.

And she has recovered very nicely.

Have a look on the inter webby thingy for daylight bulbs/lamps.

Simon.

:rofl: Sorry Simon, I didn't get the daylight bulb ref in your previous post :banghead:

Thanks for the praise too :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Lovely save there Giorgio!

The stories are great. I grew up wanting nothing more than to fly Lightnings, then had to start wearing glasses when I was 15. Gutted! I still remember seeing them at air displays and feeling my whole body shaking in unison with the power.....Without doubt the ultimate interceptor. F-15? Forget it!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

then had to start wearing glasses when I was 15. Gutted!

At least you made a career in flying Ian - much better than - yawn - IT, where I washed up....!! :)

K

• Like 2

Like they're saying G, lovely work on the tail feathers. :thumbsup2:

Spent some time on Lightnings myself back in the early 90s. Take-off was extremely quick but it always ended in a crash....

13A262C8-D372-64AF-5259E136AE74C754.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

At least you made a career in flying Ian - much better than - yawn - IT, where I washed up....!! :)

K

Similar to me Keith, although I did spend about 3 years working the the MOD Lightning project office back in the early 70's. That was fun!

Terry

• Like 4

“ I was with it all the way ‘til I released the brakes “ is the reported comment of someone after his first Lightning flight, talking of which, my boss at Heathrow was an ex Javelin navigator who was at Coltishall with 29 Sqn when 74 were changing to Lightnings. He said you could always tell when someone had just done his first Lightning sortie ( no two seaters then ) they came into the crew room white, soaked in sweat and trembling slightly from the adrenaline overdose

John

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Spent some time on Lightnings myself back in the early 90s. Take-off was extremely quick but it always ended in a crash....

Whaaaat ?? with a 7,5 Volts ??

Seeeeriously ??

Hello Mister G !!

Great saving and very good decalling !!

The base is top notch too !!

Can't wait to see her in RFI now !!

Time to open the bet about the next Giemmification ??

I propose this one !!

23517911_10155895624058748_4097088797622233247_n

After a Lightning....

Thunderbolt III will be a good idea...

Did'nt it ??

Okay, back at my counter...

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I propose this one !!

Looks light the famous XA-10 Thunderbolt and Lightning very very frightening .............

Terry

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks for the praise, Tony :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Time to open the bet about the next Giemmification ??

I propose this one !!

After a Lightning....

Thunderbolt III will be a good idea...

Did'nt it ??

Okay, back at my counter...

CC

:rofl: I find that pic quite disturbing.... :D  Thanks for the comment anyway, CC :thumbsup:

Next build is gonna be freakish - but not that much! And it's going to be  propeller and in 1/48.... :) 

Ciao

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

And it's going to be  propeller and in 1/48.... :)

Ooooh are we allowed to guess? My money is on an RE2005 Sagittario .................. 🤔

Terry

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Ooooh are we allowed to guess? My money is on an RE2005 Sagittario .................. 🤔

Terry

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Or that far cousin of my family

Fiat CR42 Falco....

CC

Guys, you're so far off :D Plus, I said it's gonna be freakish: that rules completely out the RE2005, which is probably one of the slickest, most elegant fighters of WWII. And I wouldn't go as far as defining freakish the FiatCR42 either....

Keep trying. Here's one more hint: it's going to be an Italian subject, but not by birth.... :whistle: :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

Here's one more hint: it's going to be an Italian subject, but not by birth....

Hmmm. So I guess I might call a Ju87 freakish? In Italian service of course.....

Terry

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Hmmm. So I guess I might call a Ju87 freakish? In Italian service of course.....

Terry

Bingo! :D :D

And it was called "Picchiatello", but I'll explain that when I start it :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, giemme said:

Bingo! :D :D

Yesssss!

Looking forward to that one. I don't recall that I ever made a Ju87, but maybe one day.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Airfix?  They do a 1/24 too you know. 🤔

:bleh:  :bleh: :bleh:  :rofl: You devil... :D 

No, it's in 1/48, as I mentioned, and since I'll be coming out from this Sword short run kit build, I decided to go for something easier, so it's an Italeri....

:rofl2:  :rofl2:

I know, I know, I'm helpless and a glutton for punishment .... :shrug:  :D 

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yesssss!

Looking forward to that one. I don't recall that I ever made a Ju87, but maybe one day.

Terry

I'm looking forward to it too, but it may be a while - there's still lots to do on the Frightening ...

Ciao

• Like 6

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Another absolute stunner in the making!! Well done on sorting out all the issues!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the weathering.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2020 at 11:57, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Another absolute stunner in the making!! Well done on sorting out all the issues!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the weathering.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:  Weathering has commenced, see below :wink: 

On 03/07/2020 at 19:37, VT Red Sox Fan said:

The Thunderbolt 3 is AWESOME! 

I beg to differ .... :wicked: :D 

On 03/07/2020 at 19:37, VT Red Sox Fan said:

I really like how the base is coming together, the lines will help accentuate a world class project—really looking fwd to how this turns out—best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin, much appreciated :thumbsup:

OK, time for some pin wash. I started with a mid grey tempera panel lines wash, very subtle

weathering1

weathering2

so subtle that in fact you need to look at the panel lines from the right angle to actually see the wash, like this (here you can see the difference between the belly tank panel lines, for which I used a black marker, and the panels immediately aft, where the grey temepera wash was applied)

weathering3

and this

weathering4

one more

weathering5

Then I went on with a black tempera wash on some selected panel lines

weathering6

ailerons, for instance

weathering7

and various hatches

weathering8

underneath

weathering9

and I hit the missiles too (keeping it subtle, once more)

weathering10

Then to introduce a bit more of variation, I airbrushed Tamiya Smoke under the tank and aft of it, aft of the main wheel wells and along the stabilizers panel lines

weathering11

Same on the lower side hatches

weathering12

weathering13

In between all of this, I also made some progress on the boarding ladders: I drilled out all the mounting holes for the ladder rungs with a 0.5mm drill bit, then glued on some reinforcing plates inside and outside the uprights (4 plates per upright - quite a fiddly job, I should say, but I've seen a lot worse)

ladders3

I mostly used Gator's Grip here (except for the plain plates where I used CA), so these need to cure overnight before I start mangling them again

That's it for the weekend, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15