It's fast! It's British! It's a Lightning!

giemme

Sorry computer issues stopped me replying. Yes exactly as Perdu as shown in his Modeldecal photo. There was a good foot gap between the walkway markings and the fuselage.

Looking at the decal sheet layout they quote "red light each side"  this is actually the over wing fuel vent !!! so don't take there word as gospel.

• Like 3

So glad your still trying to rescue this one G, it’s such a great build and really is worth the effort! And you definitely have the skill to recover it.

what a nice chap Bill is, who knew 😃

Rob

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, perdu said:

It seems to be my turn to help today G, how's this?

15916243039883715105760976732894.jpg

I have a Modeldecal sheet for a camo aircraft which show the curve can go as far as the fuselage side, be certain what the decal sheet calls for is the answer.

11 hours ago, tweeky said:

Sorry computer issues stopped me replying. Yes exactly as Perdu as shown in his Modeldecal photo. There was a good foot gap between the walkway markings and the fuselage.

Looking at the decal sheet layout they quote "red light each side"  this is actually the over wing fuel vent !!! so don't take there word as gospel.

OK, got it now, thanks both :thumbsup:  More corrections to do, yippie ....

Ciao

• Like 3

On 08/06/2020 at 12:25, Taylor Durbon said:

Cudos to you, Giorgio. In the end you show us, there are no problems. Only solutions! Respekt! 

Thanks Taylor :thumbsup:

On 08/06/2020 at 12:50, Terry1954 said:

Catching up on here Giorgio, and I felt your pain with some of these challenges, but as ever you certainly know how to take a deep breath and go through recovery processes. Well done for that, and well done to Bill @perdu for his generous actions. The BM community spirit lives on!

Terry

Thanks Terry, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

On 08/06/2020 at 16:25, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giemme, simply stunning so far--quite a historical and color contrast to your more shades of grey Typhoon--I will be following with interest!  Best, Erwin 

Definitely different from the Typhoon :D  Thanks Erwin :thumbsup: 

On 08/06/2020 at 17:08, crobinsonh said:

Great build and a great recovery

Cheers crobinsonh, thank you :thumbsup: 

On 08/06/2020 at 17:59, keefr22 said:

I admire your persistence Giorgio, this little jet is going to be a stunner after all the saves you've made on it! :thumbsup:

Keith

Hopefully so, Keith - not done yet :) Thanks for the praise :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

So glad your still trying to rescue this one G, it’s such a great build and really is worth the effort! And you definitely have the skill to recover it.

what a nice chap Bill is, who knew 😃

Rob

Thank you Rob :thumbsup:  Bill definitely is a great fellow :) 

Ciao

Wow, I just caught up on this one. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong properly!

Still, with the BM aid section in full swing I have no doubts that you will still have a superb model when it's done.

Top marks to Bill @perdu and others who've offered advice/assistance!

Ian 

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

Grievous travails Giorgio but you know the wave of fellow feeling you on here willing you forward to better days. Your colour work as beguiling as ever btw. :clap2:

• Thanks 1

Hi Giorgio. Well that was traumatic!! Just thought I would catch up with your magnificent build only to be horrified by the news from the garage!! Luckily you are a true modelling genius and it looks like it's well on the mend. It's looking like a really beautiful Lightning will be the result - probably - if you don't drop it again!! 🤞

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, I just caught up on this one. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong properly!

Still, with the BM aid section in full swing I have no doubts that you will still have a superb model when it's done.

Top marks to Bill @perdu and others who've offered advice/assistance!

Ian 

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Grievous travails Giorgio but you know the wave of fellow feeling you on here willing you forward to better days. Your colour work as beguiling as ever btw. :clap2:

Thanks Ian and Tony :thumbsup: Yes, BM fellows help at full steam going on here - feels good :) 

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

It's looking like a really beautiful Lightning will be the result - probably - if you don't drop it again!! 🤞

Exactly! :D I promise I'll pay more attention ... :wink:  Thanks for the encouragement, mate :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

Oh gawd!!!!! What a traumatic update followed by a flurry of BM kindness. When good models go bad eh. 🤦‍♂️ I love your tenacity in getting this one back in order and @perdu some kind of medal? Surely.

some kind of padded box for the to and fro tho the garage Giorgio. Good luck with the restoration. 🤛

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/06/2020 at 19:19, The Spadgent said:

Oh gawd!!!!! What a traumatic update followed by a flurry of BM kindness. When good models go bad eh. 🤦‍♂️ I love your tenacity in getting this one back in order and @perdu some kind of medal? Surely.

some kind of padded box for the to and fro tho the garage Giorgio. Good luck with the restoration. 🤛

Johnny

A medal? That sounds like an idea :)  Or a pint or three if we ever cross paths (I gotta be able to make it to Telford, once or the other!) :D 

It was a bit traumatic for me too - and the worst thing is that I have a safe way to carry models in and out my spraying booth (garage), it's just that this once I didn't use it .... :banghead:

On 10/06/2020 at 22:42, Harley John said:

Blimey, what a roller coaster of a build. Just spent an hour or so catching up. Some builds just aren't very lucky. Hope the repairs don't stress you out too much. 

Thanks John, very kind of you :thumbsup: No stress though - this hobby is actually a stress reliever for me, even when things go bad :D 

Alright, on with the damage repair, but first here's my latest acquisition:

tweezers

Pixnor tweezers, I just couldn't resist buying them (I blame you, Ced @CedB :D  :D )

Before respraying the offended areas, I removed the incorrect walkway lines segment, using a razor's edge

decals17

I then sanded off the sprue goo repair on the underneath

damage19

and resprayed with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium for the fuselage part and AK Extreme Metal Chrome for the intake ring

damage24

The wing joints were resprayed with Tamiya Gloss Aluminium too

damage20

damage21

I think the end result is OK-ish - it was certainly smoother before the nose-down-into-concrete dive ...

The kit decals sheet had some extra walkway lines (not mentioned in any part of the instructions, BTW), so I cut some segments to complete the ones I had already laid down

damage22

damage23

Not only at the leading edge, but also the inboard part of the trailing edge ones, because the ones I brush painted didn't convince me :shrug: 

I still need to fix the fin, but I'll wait for Bill's decals to arrive, to see at what extent I'll have to act. Meanwhile, I made a start on the base: a rough placement

base1

The idea is to reproduce a RAF Wattisham scene, like this (this is actually Wattisham)

EE_Lightning_F1a_XM177_Watt_TFF_MILD_22.

By RuthAS - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27742994

I first traced some lines with a ruler and a pencil

base2

then carved them with a hobby knife

base3

then scribed first with the Trumpeter scriber and then with that other rougher scriber which I forgot where it came from

base4

Then I smoothed the edges with this tool

base5

and finally I went along all the scribed lines with a home made brass chisel, twisting it while pushing it into the scribed grooves, to replicate irregularities and worn edges (not sure it shows up in next pic)

base6

I'll probably need to add more wearing marks, but I'l do that after a primer coat.

As usual, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 21

Steady repairs there G. , just be more careful next time... LOL

Those tweezers are great , I have a set myself, nice wallet with them as well.

Stay safe.

Simon.

PS, the base is taking shape then.

• Thanks 1

Back to perfect - great save Giorgio :) 

I see your usual level of detailing is being used on the base - and all those tools! Looking good already!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Steady repairs there G. , just be more careful next time... LOL

Those tweezers are great , I have a set myself, nice wallet with them as well.

Stay safe.

Simon.

PS, the base is taking shape then.

I will be careful, I promise ... :D  Thanks Simon :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking great from above there in that final shot. Really good save. The base is looking awesome too. 👌

Thank you Johnny, much appreciated :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking fantastic (again) Giorgio, excellent repair work.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Back to perfect - great save Giorgio :) 

I see your usual level of detailing is being used on the base - and all those tools! Looking good already!

Thanks Cookie  and Ced :thumbsup:  The repair really is OK-ish, I couldn't actually restore it completely to pre-dive status, but most of the blemishes are... how shall I say this ... concealed, somewhat :winkgrin:

As for the base, Ced, I'm quite a newbie about that, but have already received excellent directions form Silvano @phantom61, who instead is a master on this and other subjects :) 

Ciao

• Like 3

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent work G, I know you'll be able to see the repairs, but personally I can't see any evidence of the crash landing....!!

Nice base too, I do like a nice base ! :)

K

Cheers Keith, way too kind :thumbsup: I do hope the base turns out good, it would be my second serious attempt at a minimal diorama

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Good work on your repairs - we know you'll know but the rest of us won't even notice. And I do like what you are doing on the base. :thumbsup:

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2020 at 22:48, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Good work on your repairs - we know you'll know but the rest of us won't even notice. And I do like what you are doing on the base. :thumbsup:

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you! :thumbsup:  Stay safe you too :) 

Not much done this week and during the weekend, so this is going to be a meager progress report. First off: a new toy tool has arrived :)

stand1

assembled and fully operational

stand2

What was wrong with the LEGO stand, you might ask? Nothing really, except that I had to be extra careful when handling it because the blocks tended to separate, and you don't want that when you have a model laying on it .... Plus, the gummy tape I stuck on the top blocks sometimes tends to stick to the paint coats, for no apparent reason, leaving some debris and marks.

This wooden stand looks like a suitable solution for both 1/72 and 1/48 models (at least the kind of models I build)

I didn't feel like embarking into the fin decals fix this week, so I started assembling the FlightPath boarding ladders and FOD cover

IMG_20200620_231521

The uprights are made of two laminated PE parts, which I glued with Gator's grip; same for the FOD cover, made by to superimposed discs. I'll let these parts cure properly before proceeding with the rest of the assembly.

I'm not really going to put the FOD cover in place, the idea is to show some crew members handling it  - or possibly have it laying around on the floor near the AC, but I'm not sure this would be a real situation.

More work on the display base: Tamiya Primer from the old trusty rattle can, seems the best option for this kind of job

base7

Then I randomly airbrushed some Tamiya Flat White

base8

followed by a mix of Tamiya Flat Brown and Flat Black.

base9

This should provide some sort of tone variation for the top coat, which I still have to determine how to obtain, seeing that it looks a sort of sand tinted concrete

EE_Lightning_F1a_XM177_Watt_TFF_MILD_22.

By RuthAS - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27742994

Any pointers, anyone?

I also went for preshading, using Tamiya Flat Black

base10

That's basically it - as I said, not much to show this time.

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 14

Nice stand Giorgio - I was tempted by that but hey, a man can only have so many stands… :D 

Good work on the PE and concrete - looking forward to seeing it come together.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Any pointers, anyone?

I used Vallejo concrete one the base I threw together (admittedly not as good as yours):

49972869121_8611af4670_b.jpg

AW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers Stix, thank you! :thumbsup:  Stay safe you too :) 

Not much done this week and during the weekend, so this is going to be a meager progress report. First off: a new toy tool has arrived :)

assembled and fully operational

What was wrong with the LEGO stand, you might ask? Nothing really, except that I had to be extra careful when handling it because the blocks tended to separate, and you don't want that when you have a model laying on it .... Plus, the gummy tape I stuck on the top blocks sometimes tends to stick to the paint coats, for no apparent reason, leaving some debris and marks.

This wooden stand looks like a suitable solution for both 1/72 and 1/48 models (at least the kind of models I build)

I didn't feel like embarking into the fin decals fix this week, so I started assembling the FlightPath boarding ladders and FOD cover

The uprights are made of two laminated PE parts, which I glued with Gator's grip; same for the FOD cover, made by to superimposed discs. I'll let these parts cure properly before proceeding with the rest of the assembly.

I'm not really going to put the FOD cover in place, the idea is to show some crew members handling it  - or possibly have it laying around on the floor near the AC, but I'm not sure this would be a real situation.

More work on the display base: Tamiya Primer from the old trusty rattle can, seems the best option for this kind of job

Then I randomly airbrushed some Tamiya Flat White

followed by a mix of Tamiya Flat Brown and Flat Black.

This should provide some sort of tone variation for the top coat, which I still have to determine how to obtain, seeing that it looks a sort of sand tinted concrete

Any pointers, anyone?

I also went for preshading, using Tamiya Flat Black

That's basically it - as I said, not much to show this time.

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

great job Giorgio ...

you will have to use a color very close to tan ...

in many RAF Airports the compuond used for concrete varied from beige to medium gray ...

great...

keep it up...

ciao Silvano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1