Duxford hanger blown off!

Head in the clouds.

Heard on the traffic news earlier that part or all of a hanger roof had been blown off at IWM Duxford causing the M11 to be closed off, does not mention which hanger but best guess  would be the super hanger as it sits next to the motorway. This has caused traffic chaos in the area.

If this is the case lord knows what secondary damage has been done.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Gonna be pricey, two of my fence panels blew down I'm absolutely seething

Well isn't that a thing, my fence is held up with copper pipe until the weather picks up, it was flapping about like a good-un. The wind will always find the rotten posts, happens every time we have a wind over 5knots in my garden.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Gonna be pricey, two of my fence panels blew down I'm absolutely seething😕

We lost two separate panels back at our old house during a storm - one at the bottom of the garden, one at the side...

....as the side faced the road, and I'd previously patched and nailed that one back up before, OH said "replace the lot"...

....best part of a grand, that cost - wasn't able to do it myself, as the side fence had been installed on top of a low wall...

Edited by andyf117

33 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Crikey!!!

Trouble is it is not the wood that costs, it is the labour.

Like you Andy I have replaced 3 posts and 2 panels, only 2 and 3 more respectively and I will have a fence like Triggers broom.

It was nine-and-a-bit panels in total (three 5' across the bottom, six-and-a-bit 6' along the side) - I'd costed the materials at around 300 quid...

....it had cost me £100 and about a week to put up three-and-a-bit 6' panels and posts (in spikes) on the opposite side some years beforehand...

....two professionals tore down and dug out the old, and put up the new - complete with all posts set in concrete - in little more than a morning!

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

in little more than a morning!

And that is the rub Andy, even when we do some jobs on site it is more cost effective to employ a dedicated company than us do it ourselves over twice as long and with more labour. The trick is knowing when to make the call, at least you did not loose another week of your own time which to be fair costs you money because you run your own business.

And it will not blow down for another 15-20 years, that's £50 a year to protect your borders, I bet the MOD wish they could do it for that😁

• Thanks 1