A6M2b

Vinster

Another misunderstanding of the picture.

This is  most famous photo of :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyoshi_Nishizawa

is the version A6M3 Typ22 ZERO

It is a beautifully painted factory-made

Mitshubishi J3 Ash gray and airbrush apiled-Green D1.

painted by mechanics in the field.

P.k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JackG said:

I think this is the same aircraft Nick Millman has illustrated in his book  (p25).  It is described as carrying a field applied camouflage scheme:

attachment.aspx

Could be combination of both loosely applied camou and worn paint, otherwise, that zig-zag pattern behind the cowl sure is some funky weathering.

regards,

Jack

Thank you - I saw this image last night as well and have it saved as a reference if I pursue this look.

11 hours ago, politicni komisar said:

Another misunderstanding of the picture.

This is  most famous photo of :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyoshi_Nishizawa

is the version A6M3 Typ22 ZERO

It is a beautifully painted factory-made

Mitshubishi J3 Ash gray and airbrush apiled-Green D1.

painted by mechanics in the field.

P.k

On the wiki there is an image under the attached one - I was t sure but does that image show chipping

8 hours ago, Vinster said:

On the wiki there is an image under the attached one - I was t sure but does that image show chipping

If you are talking about this one Nishizawa_UI105_7may1943.jpg

then it seems to be same plane with field applied camo. Strange pattern on the leading edge of the wing that looks like heavy chipping is most likely is just a sloppy job when applying green color to the top of the wing.

• Thanks 1

FWIW: This A/C also had yellow leading edge ID markings which were partially overpainted on some areas. Tamiya's painting diagram appears to be pretty accurate. What appears to be chipping is possibly eroded overpainting or even just "holidays" from the original application of the green overpaint. Japanese factory applied paint for naval A/C was pretty good stuff and could take a lot of abuse, you would want this for an A/C based in a salt water environment.  Look at the lower photos in spite of the abuse the paint does not show a massive amount of chipping...

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by pat d
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chipping is only on the cowling because the black-blue color is applied to the aluminum inside and out. The purpose of this color is to hide the oil wear.

The first photo of the gray-white Zero is of poor quality and was taken in 1949 before the debris was removed from the beach. The second one was recorded in 1946. They are not the best reference for anything. It is for confused plastic kit builde

10+ Years ago I made this plane in 1/144 SWEET.

mig-19-zero-22-006.jpg

mig-19-zero-22-008.jpg

a6m3-22-zero144nishizawa.jpg

There was no good picture back then and I was following the instructions ... and there is a wrong number on the tail because Nichizawa had previously flown UI-106 

Which was not camouflaged and was in Mitshubishi J3 Zero color.

P.k

Edited by politicni komisar
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2020 at 02:31, Doom3r said:

If you are talking about this one Nishizawa_UI105_7may1943.jpg

then it seems to be same plane with field applied camo. Strange pattern on the leading edge of the wing that looks like heavy chipping is most likely is just a sloppy job when applying green color to the top of the wing.

Thank you - sorry I need to work out how to attach images and thank you

On 13/02/2020 at 08:18, politicni komisar said:

Chipping is only on the cowling because the black-blue color is applied to the aluminum inside and out. The purpose of this color is to hide the oil wear.

The first photo of the gray-white Zero is of poor quality and was taken in 1949 before the debris was removed from the beach. The second one was recorded in 1946. They are not the best reference for anything. It is for confused plastic kit builde

10+ Years ago I made this plane in 1/144 SWEET.

mig-19-zero-22-006.jpg

mig-19-zero-22-008.jpg

a6m3-22-zero144nishizawa.jpg

There was no good picture back then and I was following the instructions ... and there is a wrong number on the tail because Nichizawa had previously flown UI-106 

Which was not camouflaged and was in Mitshubishi J3 Zero color.

P.k

Thank you - also great build - I am planning on chipping the cowling with Marmite