P-47 D-1 ... what to keep in mind when building the 1/32 Trumpeter kit?

elger

Hi all,

I've been considering building a P-47D-1-RE (flying out of Debden in the autumn of 1943) using the Trumpeter kit. The P-47 is not a type I know a lot about, and I have been reading up on some of the quirks of the Trumpeter kit (which is otherwise excellent, I gather), but can anyone knowledgeable give me some pointers as to what the D-1-RE's specific features were compared to what Trumpeter offers? There are some optional parts for the engine, for example. 

- Elger

Definitely not my scale, and I've never seen the Trumpeter kit, so I don't know what production block it depicts, but here are some features of the D-1 to look for:

D-1 RA: serials 42-22250-22363

D-1 RE: serials 42-7853-7957

Both powered by the R-2800-21; engine would have the rounded, tapered crankcase with pie-shaped twin magnetos

D-1's had no provision for external tanks or stores under the wings or the fuselage (The D-5 was the 1st variant to have a B-7 shackle fitted to carry either an external fuel tank or bomb; this resulted in a curve to the belly to cover the shackle- blocks prior to the D-5 have a flatter belly, although earlier blocks might have been fitted with the shackle and fairing as a factory-supplied  kit.)

The original prop fitted would have been the Curtiss Electric prop with the narrow 'toothpick' blades: 12' 2" in diameter, although later paddle blade props were often installed. (You should try to find a photo of the one you want to build to look for the "big belly" mod or later prop.)

I'm betting the Trumpeter kit is a later variant, probably a D-10 to D-23, so if it is, you will need to remove the underwing pylons, if molded as  a part of the lower wing; if the pylons are a separate part, you will also need to remove a strake/fence that was fitted in its place to deflect expended cases and links when the pylon was not fitted, if it is included on the Trumpeter kit.

This should get you started started until one of our resident Jug aficionados logs in!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1