Legendary Blackbird - Part 2: M-21 Mothersip with D-21 Tagboard (Italeri Conversion)

As my another ongoing Blackbird project is close to end and all necessary parts for this one were built during that project I decided to launch a parallel thread for M/D-21.

1413.jpg

This build will include all resin parts I casted for A-12 here:

There will be some addons on D-21 Tagboard, namely the nose and tail cones used during drone transportation.

Serkan

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Bill. Compared to your Hotrods and Phantom builds mines are still very primitive..

My builds are 90% assembly and 10% detailing. Your’s seem to be more like throw 90% away and rebuild from scratch :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am an engineer. I have a talent to find solution for any technical problem. But I have almost zero talent for professional finish 😪

But I am proud of my Flankerstein build (my profile image) on which I have used many techniques first time. 😁

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

Here is old Italeri kit to be converted to M-21:

1414.jpg

The kit was partially built when I bought it. Therefore it is very suitable for such butchery. As first step the lower and upper halves tail cones were removed;

1425.jpg

1426.jpg

Unlike A-12 modification here I didn't remove inner elevons.

Here are the casted replacement parts versus original ones:

1427.jpg

Next is to place resin parts to upper and  lower surface halves.

Serkan

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here is old Italeri kit to be converted to M-21:

I love these old Italeri boxes, I was very passionate about their kit when I was young. 😊

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

My builds are 90% assembly and 10% detailing.

And my builds are 10% of assembly and 90% preparation for assembly! 😜

Nice start, Serkan - as usual! I’d like to see the book authored by you about the building the Blackbirds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

That’s not true. Your «Flankerstein» work is very skilled, I’m sure that other modellers here will say the same.

Thanks Nikolay. You are very kind 🙂. I must admit that I have learned a lot during that build especially from my mistakes.

• Like 3

Gosh that was quick ! It would take me weeks to get to that stage. I noticed you are using the kit exhaust, l was hoping you would do your magic on them.

Another SR-71 what's not to like 👍.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Gosh that was quick ! It would take me weeks to get to that stage. I noticed you are using the kit exhaust, l was hoping you would do your magic on them.

Another SR-71 what's not to like 👍.

Regards

Robert

Thanks Robert. As long as all necessary parts available the progress is very fast.

I am not planning any resin replacement parts apart from my own parts. The exhaust seems to be not bad especially after comparing with the Revell one. Also I spent plenty of time to create 3D CAD model for 3D printing. The Italeri nozzle seems to me accurate and detailed enough.

1298.jpg&key=ba61ec8852ac0829b2fcdc1e279

Regards

Serkan

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Me, too. He's already got the photos!

Lucky for him the Blackbirds have been retired or he’d be getting a visit from the CIA.

AW 

• Haha 3

On 2/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

And my builds are 10% of assembly and 90% preparation for assembly

And my builds tend to be 10% assembly and 90% recovery from that. I really must dry fit more :)

loving the blackbirds so far, tempting me towards building something earlier than 1946.

i did build one many years in 1/144 acquired from Kellogg’s by saving tokens from Frosties boxes.

I used to work for a division of Prat &Whitney and I did get to see one of the engines in the flesh, a fascinating piece of engineering bigger than my car. And at the bleeding edge of technology. To get the pressure seal fit needed to operate at full speed the engine was designed so that the seals mated at temperature, as a consequence they leaked aviation fuel at lower temperatures and had to be in flight refuelled right after takeoff, some engineering to figure that one out.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Arrgh!... Again old resin problem. It seems that I have forgotten to throw all parts into trash casted with shelf life expired resin. After primer coat the lower nose and upper tail cone parts started to bleed/sweat oily fluid:

1434.jpg

But not a problem. I have enough spare parts casted with new resin:

1435.jpg

The new parts were glued to related fuselage halves:

1436.jpg

1417.jpg

Also inboard elevon root profiles were modified to fit new tail cone shape. The gap will be filled with plastic stock,

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 10