Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

One of the best JP builds so far! Very clean and beautifully finished. In my opinion, one of Airfix's very best new-tool 1/72 releases.

Mike

Thanks 🙂

Just out of interest, what other ones would you say were the best of the bunch? I can see myself getting addicted to Airfix 1/72! 

Guy

5 hours ago, Gisbod said:

what other ones would you say were the best of the bunch?

Oboy- going to make me stick my scrawny old neck out, are you, Guy? Understand, this is just one semi-skilled modeler's personal opinion, with heavy bias towards certain types, of which I think we are all guilty, but for what it's worth:

I think the new Airfix has done a wonderful job replacing not only the classic original releases in their huge catalog, but producing kits they have never done before. There were some quality control issues early on with some releases, and the main dislike expressed by many, which seems to be getting better, is the depth and width of the scribing and panel lines. Although WW1 types aren't my main interest, I think that their WW1 and between the wars releases are their very best overall- they remind me of the old Matchbox biplane kits, which were streets ahead of their other releases for some reason. The new-tool Airfix Spitfire IX is a clunker, but other than some minor errors here and there, (Do not understand why they did the gear struts and doors molded  together on their Spit Mk I/II's!) I personally think all of their new-tools are very nice. Personally, I really like the B-25B/C/D,  Beaufighter TFX, Swordfish, Buccaneer, Swift, Hurricane Mk 1, P-51D (in both scales!)  Gladiator, and I'm really, really, really, eagerly awaiting the Vulcan B2 and the Beaufort! My view is if they can get their panel lines as fine as the mainstream kit makers and even upstarts like Arma Hobby and Special Hobby, they would be truly world class.

I'm sure all the BM'ers have their own personal favorites, but you asked, so there are mine...to be truthful, I have bought each and every one so far, and look forward to seeing what comes next!

Mike  

Oh, yeah- add a Hampden and a Halifax to that "wanted" list- @tonyot made me say that! 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Mike! 

That’s very helpful.. As they are very reasonably priced, I’ve been like a kid in a sweet shop! I’ve already bought the Lightning, Vampire, Hawk, Spitfire (ridiculously deep panel lines tho). I’ve also started a Tucano which is from the 90’s I believe.. I like it, but you can see the difference.

• 8 months later...

Very nice model Guy.

Just checked my log book and I flew 461 a number of times from Linton. Then saw the entry for a hi to lo nav to Mildenhall. Not a good day out. Probably why I ended up a truckie!!

Cheers

Glen

On 11/1/2020 at 10:20 PM, Glen said:

Very nice model Guy.

Just checked my log book and I flew 461 a number of times from Linton. Then saw the entry for a hi to lo nav to Mildenhall. Not a good day out. Probably why I ended up a truckie!!

Cheers

Glen

Nothing wrong with being a Truckie Glen. I was a Pongo pilot, but looks like we both ended up on the 777 so can’t be all bad!

Guy