RAF Wyton 1980-1995 Pt 2 231 OCU and the Canberra trainers

canberraman

Part 2 of my planned 6 part series on the aircraft and operators at RAF Wyton  - 1980-1995, covers 231 Operational Conversion Unit (OCU) and the Canberra trainers.

231 OCU can trace its history back to 1947 when formed to trained Mosquito crews, and as the RAF’s principal Canberra training unit since 1951, when it reformed at RAF Bassingbourn to train high level bomber and reconnaissance crews. The OCU remained at Bassingbourn until 1969 whereupon it relocated to RAF Cottesmore.  Seven years later the OCU moved again, this time to RAF Marham, where it celebrated its 30th year of continuous service with the same type of aircraft in February 1982. A few months later, in July 1982, following the RAF’s decision to consolidate all remaining Canberra operators on a single site, 231 OCU moved to its final home at RAF Wyton. It remained there until disbandment in April 1983; due to the reduction in demand for pilot conversion, for the last 12 months 231 OCU was retitled the Canberra Training and Standards Flight (CTSF).

In its latter years, 231 OCU/CTSF was solely concerned with pilot conversion to type, with operational training conducted by 100 Sqn, 360 Sqn and 1 PRU as appropriate. Six courses were provided each year from 1985 onward for RAF and RN crews, involving over 30 flying sorties to a total of 55 hrs of aircraft handling and navigation. Most of the conversion flying took place in the dual control Canberra T.4s of which 9 were variously available. In addition, the unit had two B.2Ts for solo flying and navigation exercises, and latterly an E.15 to train airways flying and a pair of PR.7s. It is reckoned over 8,000 aircrew graduated from 231 OCU since 1952 from at least 16 countries, probably a record to this day.

231%20OCU%20Fleet_zpsfp5flgvn.jpg

The aircraft assigned to 231 OCU 1982-1993.

wj731a_edited-3_zpsyjxsxher.jpg

Pictured here Is B.2T WJ731 in May 1977, while 231 OCU was still resident at RAF Marham. Note the large fuselage serials evident at the time.

vn799a_edited-3_zps2op6fxpo.jpg

For the Canberra 40th anniversary celebrations held at RAF Wyton in May 1989, Canberra T.4 WT478 of 231 OCU was painted in an overall blue c/s to represent the prototype aircraft B.1 VN799. A spare aircraft, T.4 WJ877 was similarly decorated.

we113z1_edited-3_zpsw4jma5cz.jpg

we113a_edited-3_zpsv3gdv5np.jpg

A pair of photos of B.2T WE113/BJ. The first is at Wyton in September 1987, the second at an unidentified location and taken in June 1991.

wh840d_edited-2_zpsqvarmdrd.jpg

Canberra T.4 WH849/BE as seen in the static line up at the RAF Wyton Open Day on 14 July 1984.

wj731%202b_edited-3_zpsquzxdst8.jpg

Another shot of B.2T WJ731, now coded BK, and seen at Wyton in May 1993 just after 231 OCU’s disbandment in April of that year.

wj756b1_edited-3_zps71yovdts.jpg

Upon the cessation of Canberra flying by 100 Sqn in December 1991, some of that sqn’s E.15 and PR.7 aircraft were issued to the remaining Canberra operators. This photo shows former 100 Sqn E.15 WJ756/BB, with 231 OCU in April 1993.

wj861r1_edited-3_zpsuu9phmsl.jpg

Canberra T.4 WJ861/BF at RAF Wyton in September 1987.

wj874k%202a_edited-3_zpstlszyhjr.jpg

231 OCU would regularly conduct nav exercises to a number of other NATO countries as part of the training syllabus. This photo depicts T.4 WJ874 at the Italian AF base at Grazzanise in October 1991.

wj877t1_edited-2_zpsfzsphthh.jpg

T.4 WJ877/BG at Wyton in May 1989. Tragically, this aircraft together with its crew of 3, was lost in an accident at the base on 18 March 1991. The crew that died were RAF Wyton Station Commander Group Captain Reg McKendrick, Staff Navigator Flt Lt David Adam and QFI Flt Lt Stephen 'Eddie' Wilkinson.

wj879d1_edited-2_zpslqfofbkx.jpg

Immaculate T.4 WJ879/BH, at Wyton in December 1989.

wt478c_edited-3_zpspbdmfqy3.jpg

Seen landing on Runway 27 at RAF Wyton in Aug 87 is T.4 WT478/BA.

wt478y1_edited-2_zpsufmts1rd.jpg

A later shot of WT478 at rest at Wyton in June 1989.

wt480c1_edited-4_zpsgffmxevn.jpg

wt480d1_edited-2_zpsk7y4n4mw.jpg

A couple of shots photographs of T.4 WT480/BC (alongside T.4 WJ874) seen at Wyton in May 1992.

wt480g1_edited-2_zpsogtjfhzu.jpg

A year later in April 1993, T.4 WT480/BC is seen with PR.7 WT509/BR in the background.

marrows1_zpslyfanvda.jpg

marrows2_edited-1_zpsa0rlqm7k.jpg

marrow1_edited-4_zpsggcjorxu.jpg

From the mid 1980s onward, 231 OCU had an unofficial 4 aircraft display team – ‘The Green Marrows’, that performed at the annual RAF Wyton Open Day and other events including the Canberra 40th anniversary. Courtesy of Ian Powell, these first 2 shots show the ‘Marrows’ performing at Wyton Open Day in 1984; note the large underwing serial. The last shot, and apologies for the quality, is one of mine taken at the 40th anniversary event on May 12th 1989, where it can be seen that by then the serials had been replaced by large Type B underwing roundels.

Thanks for looking, c&c always appreciated.

Mark

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Another set of wonderful pictures.

The 2nd photo of WE113 BJ looks like it was taken at RAF Gutersloh, as I worked at PCSF in 3 Hangar there which is obscured by the tree. I have also noticed the desert painted vehicles which would haverecently come back from Op Granby and the staging that we used to put around Chinooks and Pumas.

• Like 1

Jabba

Thanks for the reply. Gutersloh makes sense and is a good suggestion.

Chris, AD210, and all who have left 'likes' or 'thanks', many thanks also for your support and responses. Glad to say I'm still improving and in less than a month I'll be back at work :(

Regards

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canberraman said:

Jabba

Thanks for the reply. Gutersloh makes sense and is a good suggestion.

Chris, AD210, and all who have left 'likes' or 'thanks', many thanks also for your support and responses. Glad to say I'm still improving and in less than a month I'll be back at work :(

Regards

Mark

Glad to hear that you're still improving, Mark. Work is just around the corner!😉

• Sad 1

Can never have too many Canberra photos. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for going to the effort Canberraman.

I especially like the close up tail shot of WT480, a great reference for modellers thinking of making the 1/48 Airfix kit. Does anyone else on here have close up airframe shots of Wyton Canberras? I have the mid 80s Linewrights Canberra book, which is very useful, but mostly in black and white. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

Can never have too many Canberra photos. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for going to the effort Canberraman.

I especially like the close up tail shot of WT480, a great reference for modellers thinking of making the 1/48 Airfix kit. Does anyone else on here have close up airframe shots of Wyton Canberras? I have the mid 80s Linewrights Canberra book, which is very useful, but mostly in black and white. 

Thanks for the comments Timbo. Regarding further close up airframe shots, I think I've got some 100 Sqn and 1 PRU tail shots that will appears in Parts 3 and 4.

Mark

19 hours ago, canberraman said:

Thanks for the comments Timbo. Regarding further close up airframe shots, I think I've got some 100 Sqn and 1 PRU tail shots that will appears in Parts 3 and 4.

Mark

Lovely, looking forward to those.

While types such as the Harrier, Phantom and Tornado got the main attention all those years ago, the faithful old Canberra plodded on in the background, supporting the front line units to great effect. Hopefully one day we will see a book all about those Wyton stalwarts.

By the way, is it just me, or does the theme song to the BBC sitcom 'One Foot in the Grave' apply so well to the Wyton Canberra fleet?!

• Like 1

some more stunners in there!!! 

we were so spoilt for choice back then :(

keep em coming, please!

Jon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello gents,

Do you have anymore pictures of WJ877 in her camo colours?

I'm researching the accident that happened in 1991 and building an S&M Models 1/72 T.4 as WJ877.

Thanks for any you might have.

Cheers

Mark