New 1/72nd Airfix Me-262A-2a/1a 'Sturmvogel'

Thanks chaps, appreciated as ever.

I don't know how you find the time. BTW, I dropped off your usual three barrels at the Three Horseshoes this morning. Enjoy!

Nor do I Pete, what with keeping the country pile going, culling the local peasantry and blasting the odd pheasant into the hereafter... Suitable emoluments will find their way to you for the happy juice. Sorry it's only three barrels this week, had to cut back due to a three pronged attack orchestrated by the family proctologist, the local constabulary and the memsahib, blast them...

• Haha 2

I say, but an awfully splendid job on the Me 262, old fruit bat! I was taken aback for a mo' there to hear you were down to only three barrels, but your answer explained things to my satisfaction, at least. In actual news, my nephew is training to be a whiskey braumeister - I have generously offered to let him use my backyard for distilling purposes, the resulting concoction to be distributed under the moniker of 'The Marshal's Special Reserve'. I guarantee you though that after a sip or two, you will not be acting particularly reserved.

As Always I Remain Your Most(ly) Devoted Servant,

Jason (A/K/A 'The Marshal')

• Haha 2

In actual news, my nephew is training to be a whiskey braumeister - I have generously offered to let him use my backyard for distilling purposes, the resulting concoction to be distributed under the moniker of 'The Marshal's Special Reserve'. I guarantee you though that after a sip or two, you will not be acting particularly reserved.

Now that's more like it, enough of this plastic fiddling nonsense, lets have at the real stuff...I shall bag a ticket to your part of the world post haste Marshal, on anything that doesn't have 'Max' in its moniker...leave some for me!  

Yes, the reserves have fallen to a dangerously low, low...I have a cunning plan which will swing into action just as soon as the Mem's toddled off shoplifting/shopping.  

Thanks FF, appreciated.

• Haha 1

Blimey! That's a bit o' awright, Guvnor! Seriously, Andy, you did a bang-up job on this one! I wish Airfix hadn't taken the shortcuts they did on this new-tool- especially the vents on the rear of the nacelles...not a deal-breaker, though! Well done, sir! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

Now that's more like it, enough of this plastic fiddling nonsense, lets have at the real stuff...I shall bag a ticket to your part of the world post haste Marshal, on anything that doesn't have 'Max' in its moniker...leave some for me!  

Yes, the reserves have fallen to a dangerously low, low...I have a cunning plan which will swing into action just as soon as the Mem's toddled off shoplifting/shopping.

Once I get my nephew's operation (which I shall refer to as 'The Operation') up and running, and the proper local authorities have been bribed to look the other way, I shall let you know, your Generalship, Sah! By the by, you shall have to give me some suitable lead time (say a few years) for your visit so I can have you removed from the No Fly list, the FBI Most Wanted list, People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive list, and whatever other lists you are presently on. And of course, I shall have a regimental band, or its local equivalent (a jug band, perhaps), ready for your arrival, with full regimental regalia, including the regimental flag with Speckled Jim on it. In the meantime, best of luck in restocking your reserves whilst the Memsahib is off on her 'shopping' excursion, which I believe shall leave Harrod's closed for a week for inventory, repair, and psychological counselling for the staff.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2

Pukka pigmentation on that airframe mon general.

'appen as 'ow that's proper mottlin' that', is how the gardener described it when shown your lantern slides above. 👏

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

a three pronged attack orchestrated by the family proctologist, the local constabulary and the memsahib,

A liaison dangereuse known popularly in Edwardian times as 'Unction, Truncheon, and Suction'; much favoured by the younger set in the bushes on Richmond Hill according to Dennis Wheatley's memoirs...

• Haha 3

Many thanks fellas, that's very kind of you all.

By the by, you shall have to give me some suitable lead time (say a few years) for your visit so I can have you removed from the No Fly list, the FBI Most Wanted list, People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive list, and whatever other lists you are presently on

Understandable, you'd better add Interpol, Stazi, Mossad and Moustache Hammock Internationale to that list....oh and Croydon library. 

A liaison dangereuse known popularly in Edwardian times as 'Unction, Truncheon, and Suction'; much favoured by the younger set in the bushes on Richmond Hill according to Dennis Wheatley's memoirs...

As for what unspeakable acts the nobs on Richmond Hill committed among the Betula Pendulas back in the day, well....no comment M'lud except to say it wasn't me and I wasn't there...

• Haha 2

I wish Airfix hadn't taken the shortcuts they did on this new-tool- especially the vents on the rear of the nacelles...not a deal-breaker, though! 

Thanks Mike, I totally agree, the Revell nacelles are a lot more detailed, I've no idea why Airfix omitted the characteristic nacelle vents. I was sorely tempted to use one from the Revell kit to match the CMK resin and then attach them both to the Airfix wings but then the build would have become a bigger conversion job. Same goes for the wheels. Still, the Airfix kit's a decent enough basis for a nicely detailed rendition of the 262, although after you've shelled out the extra cash for the resin and PE it all becomes a bit expensive.  

On a serious note (for once), how does the Hasegawa kit (which I am slowly building) compare to the Revell and Airfix kits? Just in general (no pun intended); if there are severe inaccuracies I am not prepared, either by inclination or skill to repair those.

Best Regards,

Jason

Really beautiful 262 there. I certainly tempted to get one now, though I am trying to reduce the stash this year 🥵

The pictures looked great in the magazine, though they appear a little overexposed here.

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2020 at 11:16, general melchett said:

A few relevant comments here Jason. Look at comment #6

Airfix Me-262 v Revell v Hasegawa

Thanks awfully for the link, old sport, it does help! Unfortunately the nacelles on my Hasegawa Me 262 are firmly attached to the wings (and they have been for quite some time) so they're not going anywhere, anorexic though they might be. Considering the absolutely glacial pace at which I complete my models, I suppose it's more of an academic exercise than anything else to compare the various Me 262s, although I am tempted to buy the Airfix kit to add to my ever-growing collection of unbuilt kits, which has now nearly achieved enough mass to surpass the Chandrasekhar limit and collapse into a black hole, sucking me and the house into its event horizon, with my last recorded saying to be 'I regret nothing!'. So you're still on the 'Do not let this man borrow anything!' list at the Croydon Library. For shame! That's what you get for 'borrowing' for ten years their copy of 'An Illustrated History of North Yorkshire Footwear'.

Yours etc.,

Jason

• Haha 2

with my last recorded saying to be 'I regret nothing!'. 

I thought it was 'So long and thanks for all the fish' or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I wont go into the Croydon library incident here, suffice to say that Darling, stalwart that he is, was sent down to the docks in the old Town, wearing a pink basque and gold  lamé tutu in an attempt to curry favour with any passing matelots in order to pay the fine, nasty business all round. Come to think of it that was four months ago and he still hasn't got back! Mind you, the book was hardly a riveting read, a load of old cobblers actually...

• Haha 3

Yes, and the BBC miniseries was also underwhelming. Regarding Darling, I heard he started out with a lamppost, then a kiosk, then a small shop, and his 'business', shall we call it, now occupies an entire city block, under the name of 'Darling's House of For What Ails You'. Quite the enterprising chap. I believe he now has an Internet site also, and there are plans to branch out to Manchester, Birmingham, and Shanklin, Isle of Wight.

I Remain As Nearly Always,

Jason

• Haha 1

Speaking of heavily engraved panel lines and obsolete kits, anybody ever built the old Jo-Han 262?  😬

If heavy engraving and poncing about on the internet are the price we all must pay for new tool Airfix, welp, so be it, and I for one will... uh, keep buying more Airfix?  

• Haha 1