Hobby Boss Soviet BA-10 Armour Car 1:35

Andy350

• 3 months later...

Time to get this one moving again.  Made some progress but not a lot.  With the interiors of these, would they pretty much match the outside, and maybe a leather for the seats?

49965866578_3d6a71e8f6_c.jpg

thinking ahead to the colour scheme, the easiest is the German grey, which is what I build the previous German armoured car to.  I really like the the first option, white with Russian green stripes.  I am not really sure how that speckled white effect can be created to I might investigate.

49965892228_90f0a63c2c_c.jpg

49966397896_986a1352f9_c.jpg

• Like 3

Lack of concentration, I've fitted the turret mount the wrong way up, so I have no swivel.  These guides will not work as the diameter is too small, so I either glue facing forward or at an angle.

49988013293_701561380a_c.jpg

The interior does't really serve a purpose as this will be closed.

49988533026_70a236be91_c.jpg

I think my neatest PE part to date, the small ring on the top behind the gun, found a drill bit the perfect size to bend around 👍

49988529106_e917a38173_b.jpg

• Like 2

In the end I purchased a MasterTools PE tool, they're not cheap but so a much better job than I can do.  I also used some Stick2 IG Superglue GP, seems to flow very well.  And you get at least 2 seconds before things are stuck!!

49991271548_3404e4a302_c.jpg

Getting better ever so slightly.

49991323273_c030080c53_c.jpg

And ready for priming.  sorry for the lack of build chat.  I have been really busy lately and keep forgetting to stop and update.  The only issues I had were, the underside suspension fit.  I will take another pick of that, but not too worried as I picked up this kit to practice the paint and weathering.

49992046941_7781fdb0f6_b.jpg 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Looking great already!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick.  I was concerned that the PE would cause issues with this build as I did have a slight alignment problem, at the moment it looks ok.

On 09/02/2020 at 02:28, SoftScience said:

This is a fun kit. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks, did you build this recently?  It has been fun, no major problems.  I'm at the painting stage now, so hopefully I can get the finish I am after.

Ok, so still learning to weather!!  Not sure what happened here, I know the water should help lift of the pain, but not like this!!  It's almost give an ice effect.  I've got to add some dirt and oil washes yet. 🤣

49995424326_2b0177689f_b.jpg

49995678537_afbd85d74e_b.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flashlight said:

Very nice effect! How exactly did you create it?

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick,  I didn't really go into detail!

I started with the brown/rust all over (probably should have varied the colour).  then applied AMMO MIG chipping solution.  I then applied the while coat, and AB Russian green to give that speckled effect.  When that was dry I ran a wet brush over which caused the paint to rise, I was then able to remove some of the paint.  It looked ok, but not very rusty.  I simple covered all those rust areas with burnt Umber oil paint to which I dropped some white spirit.  The white spirit caused the oil paint to move and settle giving that real rust appearance.  

I didn't intend for this finish, but I think I applied too much 'chipping' solution.  I am going to add some "Flory models" dark dirt to really make it look worse!!  This is my second time of attempting this look, my thinking was, what's the worst that can happen, a simple kit to remove and start again. 

• Like 1

Hi Andy, thank you for going into detail, now I understand why the paint looks kind of shrinkled and cracked at the start of the process.

Nice and effective outcome, your model looks great!

Have a nice day

Nick