Another panther question(s)

Lawzer

Hi all,

for some unknown reason I’ve decided to try my hand at some ww2 armour (apart from a few 1/72 tanks I’ve just built ww2 eto aircraft till now) so I was in the local model shop last week (I’m still lucky enough to have one!) I couldn’t resist the old tamiya 1/35 panther (think it’s an “A”?) and without cockpits to do and no canopy masking progress has been rapid.

however I have a couple of questions.

your starter for 10.....

the hole shown here:

49478657723_af57d3a4b8_b.jpg

the instructions show no part to be fitted above/below.  My good chum @BIG X sent me a pic of a kit he’s doing that has a part over the top. Now progress has gone well beyond this picture but not to the extent I can’t do something with it if someone can tell me if it should have a cover on the top or as I’ve done just put a disc of card below it?

And your follow on questions.....

I’ve already painted everything xf60 and I have xf61 and whatever the other tamiya colour is (looked up the camo colours) so my question is does the camo extend to the road wheels and well, for want of a better description (please some one tell me! 😁) the “back” where the exhausts are attached?

and your 2 supplemental questions.....

the radio antenna- (to scale) how long (or rather tall) should it be?

the tracks - rubber 1 part things.  Someone said to soak them in warm water to “extend” them a few mm’s and also to make them more flexible.  Is there any point priming then painting them with anything as I can just see it flaking off....

oh, and I see you can get etch for the “D” but not this kit - those vents are screaming out for some grills....

afv newbie so please excuse the ignorance! 👍

cheers.

ian

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3

Hi Ian - looks like a fun project & some interesting questions for the Panzer 'Experten'.  I'm sure @badger @Badder @Bullbasket @Ozzy etc will be able to answer some or all of your questions.  I'll be following with interest - Steve

Do you have a picture of the Box Art - so we know exactly which kit it is...

• Like 3

Despite the recommendation from Steve, I know more about neurosurgery than I do about German AFV's as I never build them. The last time that I did was about 45 years ago. As to the tracks. I'm assuming that this is one of the old Tamiya kits with the original type of rubber band tracks where you have to join the ends together with staples. They're not the easiest tracks to work with and yes, paint does tend to flake off. My advice would be to get hold of a rattle can of Halfords grey auto primer. But spray it out doors as it stinks.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which kit is it Ian?  Even though etch may not be available for your kit, etch for other kits will fit. Most road wheels are left in the base colour, for the length of the antenna I go for a 2 meter height every time.

• Like 2

@Lawzer - with regard to the aerial on my King Tiger I drilled out a 0.7mm hole through the middle and then inserted a length of 0.7mm brass rod - all the way through and right down into the body...

aerial1.jpg

...as I considered the aerial - similar to aircraft - as being the first thing likely to get snapped if made of plastic.  With it in place I then measured the exposed length and snipped it off at 5.7cm - which when scaled up is 2 Metres.

aerial2.jpg

I painted it black and added some fuse wire to the bottom - to hint at a kind of 'whip' joint...

aerial3.jpg

I'm sure you could make a neater job of it - but trust me it is as solid as a rock and it's a wonder I haven't had my eye out with it :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Which kit is it Ian?  Even though etch may not be available for your kit, etch for other kits will fit. Most road wheels are left in the base colour, for the length of the antenna I go for a 2 meter height every time.

It's this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mm165-panzerkampfwagen-v-panther--132515

I see you can get etch for the "D" which may fit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

It's this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mm165-panzerkampfwagen-v-panther--132515

I see you can get etch for the "D" which may fit?

You should be able to get etch for a G also, apart from the hull machine gun and the exhausts changing the hull superstructure stayed the same.

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Nice to see you managed to find something and good progress so far.

I built this kit about 25 years ago and from a very hazy memory I put some mesh at the bottom of the "hole".

With regards to the grilles I think I made my own covers from some mesh cut to shape. 

Not sure if there's a dedicated etch set for it as it's rather an oldy. However I would guess that if you could get a set for the Tamiya G it would probably fit.

My only other recommendation would be a metal gun barrel to save having to clean the seam up. RB is my go to brand and they also do an aerial and separate mount. Not an extortionate amount of money in terms of the difference it makes to a kit.

All the best 

Ben 

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

Just now, badger said:

Hi Ian

Nice to see you managed to find something and good progress so far.

I built this kit about 25 years ago and from a very hazy memory I put some mesh at the bottom of the "hole".

With regards to the grilled I think I made my own covers from some mesh cut to shape. 

Not sure if there's a dedicated etch set for it as it's rather an oldy. However I would guess that if you could get a set for the Tamiya G it would probably fit.

My only other recommendation would be a metal gun barrel to save having to clean the seam up. RB is my go to brand and they also do an aerial and separate mount. Not an extortionate amount of money in terms of the difference it makes to a kit.

All the best 

Ben 

Thanks Ben.  I *almost* managed to sand the seam on the barrel....😂

I painted some card gun metal to place under the massive holes which as you know have sweet FA under them.  Improves things a bit.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You should be able to get etch for a G also, apart from the hull machine gun and the exhausts changing the hull superstructure stayed the same.

@Ozzy I had a look at a review of the G online and at least the front grills/voluminous empty spaces are different :(

ahhh it’s all really just to dip my toe in the water.  I have an academy tiger with interior coming thanks to @trickydicky210 so I may just treat this one as a “play”.  

must admit I didn’t think it would such a different kettle of fish to aircraft modelling.....HAD to avoid going to the model shop yesterday (cash burning a hole in my pocket) so I didn’t buy another tank....still, haven’t felt this happy with modelling for a long time so happy days!

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

@Lawzer - with regard to the aerial on my King Tiger I drilled out a 0.7mm hole through the middle and then inserted a length of 0.7mm brass rod - all the way through and right down into the body...

...as I considered the aerial - similar to aircraft - as being the first thing likely to get snapped if made of plastic.  With it in place I then measured the exposed length and snipped it off at 5.7cm - which when scaled up is 2 Metres.

I painted it black and added some fuse wire to the bottom - to hint at a kind of 'whip' joint...

I'm sure you could make a neater job of it - but trust me it is as solid as a rock and it's a wonder I haven't had my eye out with it :lol:

Thanks @BIG X mate! I’ll have a rake around and see if I have something suitable! 👍

ps. Thanks to all who have replied! 👍👍

• Like 2

RB Models do some nice brass whip bases for various types of antennae for very little money, and you can get carbon rod of various widths to replicate the antenna, and those won't bend/break like styrene, but you may consider putting a tiny blob of masking fluid on the tip in case you impale yourself on them later.  I had two on the back of my AAVP, and the number of times I came close to stabbing myself in the eyeball was more than once.  Accurate armour sell the carbon rod in short lengths, but the last lot I got were from eBay from a model aircraft supplier.  They're much cheaper and you get a lot more for your money.  Just be careful of inhaling dust from sawing/sanding carbon fibre, as the particles are incredibly sharp at a microscopic level, which is why you should also never dance around on a crashed aircraft that has composite components.  🧟‍♂️

• Like 1

That opening on the engine deck should have circular mesh/screen over it.  As has been mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any dedicated PE sets for this particular kit.   So likely taking a chance fit wise, even with the most basic offerings:

kANs496.png

For antennas, aftermarket does seem to quote 2 meters as the standard length.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

Just a quick heads up regarding the engine deck grills : if you do decide to get some make sure they are for a Panther A or D, as the Panther G grills were narrower and slightly different shape. HTH:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So painted and gloss coat on.

a question on markings.

according to the instructions the only markings are “413” on either side and at the rear of the turret, what I assume is the squadron (is that the right word when it comes to tanks?) on the front of the hull and a single cross on the rear.  Crosses are supplied in addition to the smallish one on the rear so would there also be a cross on either side of the turret? Google shows some had and some didn’t....

tia

ian

Hi Ian

Sounds like good progress you've been making on this.

With Panthers the crosses usually go on the hull front corners as can be seen from these

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/panther-tank.html

There was sometimes a unit (this is the "squadron" one) badge on the hull front as well.

Kind regards

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

Thanks @badger Ben!

just as well I have eyesight being tested next week - looked at the instructions again and indeed they show the crosses on Front side of the hull as you said......d’oh! 😂

well that was the quickest and easiest decalling session I’ve ever done.......

Edited by Lawzer