Supermarine Sea Otter, 292 Squadron (ASR) RAF, Ceylon 1945, SH 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Thanks to great help of @Ed Russell(who provided me with key photos - Ed, I appreciete this help very much)  recently I fnished Supermarine Sea Otter in colours of 292 Squadron RAF. Machine is from CBI theather, namely from Ceylon in summer of 1945.  I appreciete also advices and answeres of BM fellows in the thread 

Small modification are introduced following photos, Decals from drawer. Riging with EZ.

49505303201_60f437ae49_b.jpg

49505520967_4c9932958e_b.jpg

49504788133_05ca49532e_b.jpg

49505516912_1f7b493431_b.jpg49505516742_8736cb0f2f_b.jpg49504787418_b85c4fc041_b.jpg

49504792338_c96abc8269_b.jpg

49505520707_7a48fb4e22_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy Wojtek

• Like 21

At first I wanted to ask you about the lack of fin flash and then I realized that - opposite to the Catalina - Sea Otter (like the Walrus) sported the fin flash under the tailplane :)

However in SEAC case this very low flash is really barely visible, especially on takes from (slightly) above.

The overpainted "European" (i.e. big diameter) roundels on topsides look very fine and the rigging made me breathless...

Very well done, Brother :)

Cheers

Michael

PS. These colours remind me about the Hudson, Halifax and Boligbroke still awaiting assembly somewhere within my stash...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

At first I wanted to ask you about the lack of fin flash and then I realized that - opposite to the Catalina - Sea Otter (like the Walrus) sported the fin flash under the tailplane :)

However in SEAC case this very low flash is really barely visible, especially on takes from (slightly) above.

The overpainted "European" (i.e. big diameter) roundels on topsides look very fine and the rigging made me breathless...

Very well done, Brother :)

Cheers

Michael

PS. These colours remind me about the Hudson, Halifax and Boligbroke still awaiting assembly somewhere within my stash...

Thank you :) . The riging was in fact a bit tricki. To do riging in a way I like to do I had to modify order of works given in instruction.  I glued upper  wing parts  together and glue to it struts and only upper part of lower wing. I had to try on without glue how engine fit to it, since in cowling there are indentations for struts, so they have to go on right position. The side floats I glued to bottom parts of lower wings. Of course all holes for cables were drilled prior to it (0.6 mm drill this time). Then I was glueing cables into botom side of upper wing and streched on the lower wing "left" (i.e. inside) surface. The riging between float struts I made similar but streching was done on inside surface of lower part of bottom wing. Then I gleued lower parts  of bottom wings and sanded the edges etc.  Problem appeared with landing lamp, which  was a bit too big and I have to sand it and polish alredy with rigging just few mm behind it...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Very nice! Happy to help.

Thank you again! Do you think that Red Roo will do set of decals for Sea Otters including this scheme for 292 Sq Sea Otter?

Cheers

J-W