Hendon Airshow 1932 Aircraft Types ?

JOCKNEY

I am currently reading a book by Michael Armitage An illustrated history of the Royal Air Force.

This photo (AHB)  appears in the book from the Hendon Airshow 25th June 1932 showing The New Types Park.

20200208_104957

The bottom 2 I recognise as a Heyford and Hendon, can anyone help me with the others please.

cheers Pat 

Pat, 

G-AAJY is a Short S.11 Valletta

G-ABKY is a Blackburn C.A 15C Biplane 

Not quite sure what that big ugly thing with the 'S' on it's nose is and the smaller fry look a little hard to decipher, although Dennis might be right with the Hart and Fury types. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Putty Animal said:

Really don't know about that three engine jobbie.  That's a new one for me.

I'm honestly guessing, however is that a Vickers Virginia with a lashed up third engine on top? I'd put money on it being a Vickers design either way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm honestly guessing, however is that a Vickers Virginia with a lashed up third engine on top? I'd put money on it being a Vickers design either way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It's the one and only Boulton Paul P.32, J9950. 

Edited by AWFK10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Pat, 

G-AAJY is a Short S.11 Valletta

G-ABKY is a Blackburn C.A 15C Biplane 

Not quite sure what that big ugly thing with the 'S' on it's nose is and the smaller fry look a little hard to decipher, although Dennis might be right with the Hart and Fury types. 

Cheers.. Dave 

That one is the Gloster TC.33 bomber-transport prototype, J9832. It does look like an 'S' on its nose but it's the New Types Park number, '6'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I am reading the registration letters correctly (difficult with the angle) the extreme left is G-BIV or G-GLV. If the former it lists as an AW Atlas II, if the latter then an Avro 504K. I would think the former then.

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Could the little one bottom right be a Tigermoth ?

I would think you are correct. Thought so myself last night but I was a bit tired.

This is fun!!!!

DennisTheBear

Edited by DennisTheBear
Additional thought
  • Haha 1

I know it's 7 years away (no time at all - think back to 2013), but the RAF really don't look ready to fight a war and these are new designs !!! When you look at these type of pictures you get a real sense of the pace of development that conflict brings. Whilst there are things about living at this time that are not that good (eg climate change, etc), we have been lucky to have been alive during a period of an amazing leap in technologies on all fronts. What will the aircraft look like at an airshow in 2032 I wonder ????

• Like 1

I think it's the Westland PV6 in its original form. It went on to be modified with an enclosed rear cockpit for the Everest overflight, and was kitted by Frog in that state. The Putnam Westland book has a photo of it arriving at the 1932 Hendon display and says it was in the New Types park. I think you're right about the Atlas II: again, it was certainly present at the 1932 display and the aircraft next to the PV6 looks very like it.  

• Thanks 1

AW 16 Scimatar between two Hawkers (Hart damily and Fury on top?

9986L-1.jpg

Left from Hawker Hart (or Demon) is as was said Westland PV6 or Wallace (not Wapiti since there is a ring on engine), next left is I think AW Atlas as @DennisTheBear &@JOCKNEY suggested. Next I do not recognize, she has unusual struts like Shark (or Fiat Cr 32/42 ) but for sure it is British, but Shark made maiden flight in 1933, so year later. Closer to us is Vildebeest Mk I (early - the elevators with triangular ends)

J-W

• Like 4

That photo could be the start of one beautiful diorama. It would have to be in the One True Scale, as 1/144 would be too small for detail and 1/48 or larger would be just too big.

Alas for this Antipodean modeller also too expensive.😢🇦🇺:pilot:

DennisTheBear

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

My list for the photo, going clockwise from the Fairey Hendon, is HP Heyford,  Boulton paul P32,  Vickers Vildebeeste,  Bristol type 120 (R6).  AW Atlas Mk II,  Westland Wallace PV.6 ,  Hawker Hart variant, Bristol Bulldog Mk 111a (R5),  Hawker Hart variant, Valleta in the centre,  Gloster TC.33,

Blackburn CA15,  and the DH.82 Tiger Moth.

The Hawkers are both two seaters so they might be Hart Bomber/Trainer, Demon or Audax.

John

• Like 4

With a second longer look, the Hawker type on the top left hand at the top I think might be a Nimrod 1 with long straight pipes and the one on the right appears to have the down swept short pipes of the Hart Trainer or Osprey.

John.

• Like 2

With a second longer look, the Hawker type on the top left hand at the top I think might be a Nimrod 1 with long straight pipes and the one on the right appears to have the down swept short pipes of the Hart Trainer or Osprey.

John.

Addendum

I don't know why I didn't look at my 1932 Aeroplane magazines. I can now confirm that all the above types in my list were in the New Types Park. there is however one type missing (at first glance). This is the Vickers Jockey. Look closely and there it is, under the port wing of the Gloster Troop carrier.

John

• Like 3

The above photo is actually the AW.16, the Scimitar is the AW.35.   The tragedy is that the Scimitar G-ADBL existed on AW's Whitley site until 1958 when it was unceremoniously scrapped at Coley's yard.  the wings being used to reinforce a concrete path.

John

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2020 at 5:50 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Thank you everyone who contributed here, i have really enjoyed finding out what these aircraft were.

cheers Pat 

I had fun with this thread as I am not hugely familiar with the period, but I was suprised that I knew some of the types.

Having fun is what our hobby is about after all!

More, more, more!!!

DennisTheBear

• Haha 1