Albion 3-Point Fueller

Pappy

G'day people,

(It is aircraft related but If this is in the wrong forum apologies to the folder mod(s) in advance😊)

016_zpsrpippxja.jpg

This is my just completed 1/48 Airfix Albion 3-Point aircraft fueller.

I have been working on this little guy on and off for about a year whilst waiting for kit parts to dry and in between models as the mood took me. I expect that you could build it in a couple of evenings if you just wanted to get it done. I built it AOOB (Almost Out Of the Box!) as I couldn't resist adding a few small touches such as the steel helmet and gas mask case on the bench seat inside the cab and the 'rigging' on top of the fuel arms. The kit provides alternate parts for the fuel cabinet doors closed, cabin door closed and different fuel hose sections to allow the fueling arms to be positioned stowed, or with the outer two arms positioned at either 45 or 90 degrees, so you will need to pay attention to which part corresponds to what position that you wish to depict.

010_zpsyrba6ash.jpg

015_zpsj6rqec8w.jpg

014_zpslk1vxla6.jpg

013_zpsfb5k8mau.jpg

012_zpslfyxh15v.jpg

011_zpsti563spo.jpg

019_zpsfaskby97.jpg

I used the kit decals but re-arranged the side number by cutting the number out of the decal and re-arranging the numbers so that it would not be the same as everyone else's.

The decals performed very well and I was surprised to find that the kit included decals for the drivers instrument panel and the fuel valves in the rear cabinet. It would have been nice to have a few more decal options, even if it was just some additional numbers but otherwise this was a great little kit - thanks Airfix!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

That's a superb airfield vehicle. I didn't know this kit existed. Do you (or anybody) know if this browser was sometimes used by the 8th Air Force, or maybe by the 4th FG while on Spitfires? Photo evidence would be great.

Your vehicle would nicely compliment this thread here.

Cheers, Michael

13 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice!  I am very happy that Airfix has seen fit to do the ground service equipment, and very well, too.

G'day jeaton0, I think that ground support equipment has long been overlooked especially in WWI but this and the Airfix B-17 set are nice additions.

12 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

That is lovely. "AOOB" I like it, with your permission I might just start using that myself as I have a lot of AOOB models on the go ;).

:goodjob:

G¨day AP, thanks very much and feel free as I am also a serial starter😏

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very attractive fueller! And the offset front wheels work wonders to add life to the model.

Kind regards,

Joachim

G'day Joachim, thank you. I didn,t have anything in mind when I bought the kit, it was just an impulse buy  but I am very glad I did.

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's a superb airfield vehicle. I didn't know this kit existed. Do you (or anybody) know if this browser was sometimes used by the 8th Air Force, or maybe by the 4th FG while on Spitfires? Photo evidence would be great.

Your vehicle would nicely compliment this thread here.

Cheers, Michael

Thank you Toryu.

Airfix also make a B-17 box set with ground equipment. Unfortunately I cannot answer your question but there would have to have been instances when US fighters were reuelled by one, for instance if a P-51or P-47 were to land at an RAF airfield due to low fuel, bad weather or damage etc.  for instance.

I know that Tamiya make a 1/48 USAAF fuelt tanker which would be appropriate. Thanks for the link to the thread, I didn't realise this existed! 

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Lovely work, when I built mine a few years ago The halves of the fuel tank didn't fit that well. Did you have the same issue or was it just me.

If you fancy another vehicle the Airfix Bedford MWD is a marvellous kit, nice detail, great fit and lots of options.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, robgizlu said:

Super job

Rob

Thanks very much £ob

On 2/9/2020 at 9:34 PM, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work, when I built mine a few years ago The halves of the fuel tank didn't fit that well. Did you have the same issue or was it just me.

If you fancy another vehicle the Airfix Bedford MWD is a marvellous kit, nice detail, great fit and lots of options.

G'day SF,  yes I did need to play with it a little. I staryed buillding the kit last year. I had assembled the tank as one of the first items and the seams required a little putty, no big deal but when I went back to start painting about six months had elapsed and I noticed that there were faint 'ghost' seams visible that required additional filling and sanding to remediate. I think that the standard Tamiya putty must shrink a little as it dries. I usually wait 24-48 hours before sanding putty but at the time I just sanded the seams the following day.

Thanks for the tip on the irfix Bedford but I like the idea of Tamiya's 1/48 US fuel tanker instead,

cheers

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1