Lightning F6 Radar Bullet

delticfan

Just been painting my Airfix Lightning intake assembly and made a boo boo when I painted the entire intake aluminium. Of course the entrance ring is chrome as it is on the outside and the rest of the intake is an off white. Got me thinking what colour should the radar bullet body be, I know the front section is green but any ideas for what is behind this.

Thanks Chris for the photos from across the pond! I got the white internal colour from the last remaining F6 at Binbrook when they removed the radar but I still haven’t seen the full unit out of the aircraft, I’ll keep looking. Any ex  Binbrook “sheddies” might know.

Keith

• Like 1

I’ve got the Daco books on both the Lightning and the F-104 Starfighter and can confirm that they are almost without doubt the best walk around books available.  They are quite thick (mine are in storage while the new house build goes on but from memory they are about as thick as a decent size paperback) in glossy paper with chapters covering different photos of different parts of airframes. Wholly comprehensive high res photos of airframe going down in detail shots to every nut, panel, switch, dial, instrument, flap etc pictured. Short of having an actual airframe in the garage it’s the best visual reference you can get. 
Expensive? Not too bad for what you get and if you love Lightning’s or Starfighters and are modelling 2-3 then we’ll worth the cash in my very humble opinion

have a look at the pictures linked in Harry’s posts above for a sample of the many pages just like that in both volumes. The written information is very helpful too

There was one possibly two jets that had all bar the first inch or two on the nose ring painted. But for the life of me I can't remember the A/C number.

As for the intake it was NMF (polished on scheduled services too it was very shiny down there)  all the way to the No2 (Upper) engine. The only part that was any different was the "Spraymat" A heated panel on split for the No2 engine. its was about 18 inches x12 inches and was part on the cabin conditioning system there was a small mesh cover intake to the left of it as viewed looking down the intake, this was the cold air intake for the same system. 

We used to slide past the bullet and carry out intake/engine inspections on a after flight service. it was "Man F" on the service schedule if you pulled the job you did up to 10 intake inspections per night/ cease flying......Not the best place to be in hot climates like the annual detachment to Akrotiri Cyprus.

Edited by tweeky

4 hours ago, tweeky said:

There was one possibly two jets that had all bar the first inch or two on the nose ring painted. But for the life of me I can't remember the A/C number.

As for the intake it was NMF (polished on scheduled services too it was very shiny down there)  all the way to the No2 (Upper) engine. The only part that was any different was the "Spraymat" A heated panel on split for the No2 engine. its was about 18 inches x12 inches and was part on the cabin conditioning system there was a small mesh cover intake to the left of it as viewed looking down the intake, this was the cold air intake for the same system. 

We used to slide past the bullet and carry out intake/engine inspections on a after flight service. it was "Man F" on the service schedule if you pulled the job you did up to 10 intake inspections per night/ cease flying......Not the best place to be in hot climates like the annual detachment to Akrotiri Cyprus.

I did that on a 1980 cadet summer camp....probably where I picked up an interest in caving🤣

Meanwhile no idea where I got the idea of fixing aircraft in the senior service 🤣

I saw the word chrome mentioned for the lip/ring, this appears to be stainless steel rather than a coated part. Also the rivits are not stainless as I know on the one ive done a bit of work on they have started to show surface rust.

Julien

On 2/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, tweeky said:

Spot the mistake in the photos.

oh the only Stbd side single seat ladder I've ever seen'

And someone put the underwing serial decal on inside out.