Revell 1/48 Typhoon FGR4

Tonka84

HI, made a start on the FGR4 at last. Bit of a catch up again as well down the line with this build but I am building seek and destroy from xtradecals with eduard cockpit. Was going to be doing my Hasegawa Kittyhawk mk I diorama but im a sucker for punishment so my 3rd revell build on the bounce it isย ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

49499842718_00c774228b_z.jpgIMG_20200125_182603 by Rob Jones, on Flickr

• Like 2

Everything was primed and painted up when I had a problem with the photo etch. The side panels bubbled and reacted and the print just peeled off after I put a gloss coat on? the instrument panel didn't though weirdly? Any ideas out there or similar problems encountered? was on the verge of getting in touch with eduard to complain but the photoetch has a weird violet tone to it that just didn't match the cockpit colours so I am going to paint the cockpit and just do the best I can now all the detail has been removed

49500340301_4a2b5754ef_z.jpgIMG_20200129_200137 by Rob Jones, on Flickr

49500340246_a0f0acd806_z.jpgIMG_20200129_200554 by Rob Jones, on Flickr

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

What clear coat did you use?

Tamiya glossย ๐Ÿคจย I really can't understand how the I.P was fine yet the control panels bubbled? Reacted within seconds like something was on it?ย 

ย 

IMG_20200209_135826 IMG_20200209_135755

Wheel wells came out looking passable I hope? and the fit around the intake looks good, minor filler work but after recently building the GR4 this is a blessing ๐Ÿ˜„ much patience and major dry fitting lessons have been learned!ย 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tonka84 said:

Where can you get future these days or its equivelant??ย 

I got my last bottle at Walmart in Long Beach about eight months ago (their last bottle in stock). It's not available in Australia but is (at the moment at least) called Pledge Long Life Floor Gloss in the USA. I think it's called something similar in the UK?

https://flic.kr/p/2irJwKr

https://flic.kr/p/2irJwK6

So major grinding and gouging and dry fitting to get this air brake to fit ๐Ÿ˜• but it's lined up ok, just bit of filling round edge to tidy up marks from the bladesย 

IMG_20200210_225023

Got a lil fed up of the cutting and trimming and just general annoyance of revell plastic with ejector pins in all the wrong places and flash everywhere (still suffering after the GR4 I think) so I decided to do some prep work on my next project by knocking up some Eduard 250 pounders for my Kittyhawks...working out best way of installing anti personnel detonator rods on the end?ย 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, question.....I know the theory of aryclics over enamels could lead to reaction as oil and water react leading to cracking. But I've started using Mr colour aqueous and it's not really a true acrylic..should tamiya gloss be fine over the top without reaction?ย 

• 3 weeks later...
IMG_20200320_082754 IMG_20200320_092509

So it's been a lil while since I updated this build. Haven't really had a chance as work has been manic and a lot going on with this covid 19 business but I finally got the mottling base down and top coat on top surfaces and hoping once this tacks off to turn her and commence bottom of the aircraft then hit the radome and sensor surfaces with a darker shade.....so far so goodย ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_20200331_110758 IMG_20200331_133220

Gloss coats done with Mr colour. My first time out with this gloss coat and didn't get the mix right at the start and had a lil incident underside with some spitting from the gun but the top side went down great. Time for least favourite part.....dreaded stencil data on modern fast jets ๐Ÿ˜• so many markings!ย 

IMG_20200406_153141

Decals down and touch ups done and ready for weathering ๐Ÿค™feels wierd being in isolation but I've flown through the last few steps thanks to it.....really want to build 29 squadrons 2016 display bird now, love this kit. Looks stunning built up like the GR4 Tonka....just shame bout the fit ๐Ÿ˜†

• Like 2