1/48 F-86F40 (Mk VI) USAF decals?

Graham T

I've got the Revell kit which is a Luftwaffe machine but am having trouble tracking down any suitable USAF decals for this particular variant.  I DO have a decal sheet from the Eduard "Ultimate Sabre" which is an F-30 but one of the options is actually for a slatted wing F-86 (FU-341) but no idea which it is.  Is it simply an F-30 with slatted wings or another block altogether?  I believe that there were two types of slatted wing - the F-30 span & a wider span that I believe was fitted to the F-40?  Any guidance welcome!

The Eduard decals are all for short-span (non-F-40) aircraft. However Aeromaster does a sheet for 58th FBW Sabres which will be OK for an F-40-winged aircraft. It's sheet 48-699. This colour scheme:

REFERENCE (4)

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've got the Revell kit which is a Luftwaffe machine but am having trouble tracking down any suitable USAF decals for this particular variant.

this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04562-cl-13-sabre-mk6--104325

104325-11185-61-pristine.jpg

it has a USAF option.

F-86F-40 311 FBS 52-4538/FU-538 | Osan AB

Also, OOB it is an F-86F-30,  (it's a rebox of the Hase kit) the -40 requires the resin wing tips, so leftovers from the Eduard Ultimate should be fine, which  is also a rebox of the Hase kit.

A look here, shows what is in what Hase box...

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

shows that Hase did do a  -40 slatted wing,  and the above kit has resin wing tips, to make a Canadair shorter wing. (and you cut a scale 1 inch off the wing)

they also did a 6-3 wing.

EDIT the kit can be built as the types with lower two wings in the picture,  but AFAIK the actual kit wing is the 6-3 wing, top right, as it's the same outline, but has not been retooled to show the slat lines.  

so I was talking cobblers.....but,  clip the wing,  fill the slat lines, and add a wing fence,  probably a some panel detail, you could do the slatted wing as a 6-3 wing I think.

@Sabrejet  will be able to clarify this point.

86fd14fa3962cd84850d8cc61b67717b--wings.

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Is it simply an F-30 with slatted wings or another block altogether?  I believe that there were two types of slatted wing - the F-30 span & a wider span that I believe was fitted to the F-40?  Any guidance welcome!

Hi Graham,

The F-86F-40 had wing extensions + slats. 

As the others have so correctly stated, you have some options. if you decide  to do the kit as the F-40 version it depicts, be aware that the slats were more often than not deployed slightly, although IIRC they could be pinned up. Not my scale, but I don't think the Revell/Hasegawa kit has separate slats. The F-40 wing was basically the 6-3 wing with a one-foot extension to each wingtip and the slats were reinstated.

The other option is to remove the wing extension, as Uncle Uncool and Troy Smith have  stated, and fill in the existing slat lines. You will also need to fit a wing fence on the uppersurface at about 2/3 span- see the diagrams Troy has posted for the location. Basically you remove the wingtip. remove the parallel chord extension as shown in the diagram, re-attach the wingtip, and scribe the aileron hinge line all the way out to the edge of the wingtip. This will give you a lot more possibilities as far as finding available decal sheets for the nation of your choice. @Sabrejet  can help you with serials and units, for sure.

Mike

Incidentally Aeromaster 48-700 should also be good for F-40 wing USAF Sabres. 58th FBW was probably the only front-line USAF Wing to operate 'long-wing' F-86Fs so would be a nice change from the norm (I think you were looking for just USAF decal sheets).

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04562-cl-13-sabre-mk6--104325

104325-11185-61-pristine.jpg

it has a USAF option.

F-86F-40 311 FBS 52-4538/FU-538 | Osan AB

Also, OOB it is an F-86F-30,  (it's a rebox of the Hase kit) the -40 requires the resin wing tips, so leftovers from the Eduard Ultimate should be fine, which  is also a rebox of the Hase kit.

A look here, shows what is in what Hase box...

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

shows that Hase did do a  -40 slatted wing,  and the above kit has resin wing tips, to make a Canadair shorter wing. (and you cut a scale 1 inch off the wing)

they also did a 6-3 wing.

EDIT the kit can be built as the types with lower two wings in the picture,  but AFAIK the actual kit wing is the 6-3 wing, top right, as it's the same outline, but has not been retooled to show the slat lines.  

so I was talking cobblers.....but,  clip the wing,  fill the slat lines, and add a wing fence,  probably a some panel detail, you could do the slatted wing as a 6-3 wing I think.

@Sabrejet  will be able to clarify this point.

86fd14fa3962cd84850d8cc61b67717b--wings.

Thanks all for the replies.  And Troy Smith, in case you think I'm nuts & somehow missed the USAF option in the box (good news by the way), I haven't yet actually GOT the kit - it's en-route from Kingkit from whom I managed to track down a reasonably priced source.

19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks all for the replies.  And Troy Smith, in case you think I'm nuts & somehow missed the USAF option in the box (good news by the way), I haven't yet actually GOT the kit - it's en-route from Kingkit from whom I managed to track down a reasonably priced source.

It's not that obvious from the box... The decal sheet is a monster though,  not far off A4 size!  And as it's a Cartograf one,  decent, unlike many Hase sheets.

Rev_Canadair_Sabre_BLw_02.jpg

I hope you like stencils :lol:

Was  a good exercise for me, as I didn't realise Hasegawa had made a 'slatted' wing.... by 'slatted' is I mean it just has the lines, not separate slats.

One point, you might want to edit your reply to remove the unneeded quoted images.  

cheers

T

• Like 1

Incidentally the kit markings for the USAF F-40-winged aircraft are missing a few bits I note (stbd/RH side nose markings). I'd still go for the Aeromaster sheets if you want a long-winged USAF machine. Also the Armycast USAF aircraft is a short-span, unslatted machine, despite what the decal sheet would seem to show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2020 at 14:23, NorthBayKid said:

Revell (like many other people) are confused about Sabres.  There is no 1/48 kit of the Canadair Mk.5 or Mk.6 in existence.  The kit is an F-86F no matter what the box says.

But its the closest to a MK.6 we have.

Just a quick note about the two AeroMaster sheets and a question

699: Going by serial number, both planes are F-30s, but the instructions state that both had the long F-40 wings; this gibes with references that state that the longer wings were retrofitted to a bunch of earlier planes.

700: One plane, serial 52-4537, is an F-30. The other's serial is covered by the fin marking, but its buzz number (is that the right term?) is FU-386, which I think would make it either 52-4386 (an F-30) or 51-13386 (an F-25). The instructions don't say anything about which wings were on either plane, and they don't specifically recommend the Hasegawa F-40 kit, unlike sheet 699. I'm kind of hoping at least one of them had the 6-3 wings because I'd like to use them on the Hasegawa F-30 kit in my stash. Anybody know for sure?

Also, both sheets have yellow wing stripes for all the planes, but the instructions show them with the 60-30 wings. Does anyone know if the stripes on the extended wings would be inboard of the wing extensions, or would they go to the wingtip seam as on the 60-30 wings?

Edited by Seawinder

2 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Just a quick note about the two AeroMaster sheets and a question

699: Going by serial number, both planes are F-30s, but the instructions state that both had the long F-40 wings; this gibes with references that state that the longer wings were retrofitted to a bunch of earlier planes.

700: One plane, serial 52-4537, is an F-30. The other's serial is covered by the fin marking, but its buzz number (is that the right term?) is FU-537, which I think would make it either 52-4386 (an F-30) or 51-13386 (an F-25). The instructions don't say anything about which wings were on either plane, and they don't specifically recommend the Hasegawa F-40 kit, unlike sheet 699. I'm kind of hoping at least one of them had the 60-30 wings because I'd like to use them on the Hasegawa F-30 kit in my stash. Anybody know for sure?

Also, both sheets have yellow wing stripes for all the planes, but the instructions show them with the 60-30 wings. Does anyone know if the stripes on the extended wings would be inboard of the wing extensions, or would they go to the wingtip seam as on the 60-30 wings?

See photo at top: the wing stripes end at the inboard end of the wing extension. As I said above, the Aeromaster sheets are OK for the extended-span aircraft (note that I refer to them as F-40 wing, not F-40). Also as explained, 58th FBW probably the only front line USAF Wing to have extended-span F-86Fs.

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

See photo at top: the wing stripes end at the inboard end of the wing extension. As I said above, the Aeromaster sheets are OK for the extended-span aircraft (note that I refer to them as F-40 wing, not F-40). Also as explained, 58th FBW probably the only front line USAF Wing to have extended-span F-86Fs.

Understood, thanks. My question, or one of them, was, is it possible any of the four planes shown on the two sheets had the 6-3 wings, or were they all extended? If Aeromaster is to be believed, it would only be sheet 700.

Edited by Seawinder

Looking further into the subject, both aircraft on sheet 48-699 can be done as ‘6-3’ or F-40-winged machines. It looks like the conversion to F-40 wing was done by Shin Meiwa and Mitsubishi in Japan circa March/April 1957. To summarise:

Aeromaster 48-699:
52-4329 310th FBS (yellow) – had both wing types; served with 58th FBW to 31 May 1958
52-4538 311th FBS (red) – had both wing types; served with 58th FBW to 13 June 1958

Aeromaster 48-700:
52-4537 69th FBS (blue) – had both wing types; served with 58th FBW to 6 May 1958
52-4386 310th FBS (yellow) – 6-3 wing only (lost in flying accident 7 November 1956)

There is a third Aeromaster sheet with 58th FBW F-86Fs (48-701) but the two aircraft featured (52-4628 and 52-4781) only had the 6-3 wing.

EDIT: F-40 wing conversion location/timeframe confirmed:

xx2

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Understood, thanks. My question, or one of them, was, is it possible any of the four planes shown on the two sheets had the 60-30 wings, or were they all extended? If Aeromaster is to be believed, it would only be sheet 700.

please,   its a 6-3 wing not a 60-30

chord changed 6" at the root; 3" at the tip

that's better

,Tony

• Like 2