Hundreds of 'em!

Markh-75

Decals, i mean! The Airfix version of the Helldiver has over 70 different decals! most are so small that i'll be there for a few days putting them on, so i thought up a new idea.

I got three short lengths of dowelling and modified one end then roughened it by dragging a hacksaw blade along it. The idea is i'll stamp the markings on! Well, when i say stamp, i mean i'll apply the markings with the wooden dies i made; NEVER stamp on a model, its just cant take it! lol) I've made three different ones for different sized markings and they can be used in any colour of paint; i just put the paint on the end with a brush; i want fine lines that look like painted on lettering. Some i have done on the Helldiver need to be darkened a little but they look fine! I thought it was a good idea.

I often paint a marking onto a model, especially when its a long narrow one; i find it easier just to either paint it on free hand and then tidy it up after, or to paint on the lighter colour first and then mask the area off with tape, i have done this quite successfully on three or four kits already.

49501845053_cb9d9909fc.jpg Some of the marks need to be dulled down a bit.

These are what i made.

49502350126_ff24bc7b7c.jpg 

49502350256_c0e89e8187.jpg 

49501845428_11fd6aa82e.jpg 

49502573732_3e2ba9c283.jpg 

Once they have been used each time and allowed to dry i can rough them up again by dragging the hacksaw blade along the edge.

Edited by Markh-75

I thought they worked pretty well myself! Its all about getting 'just' the right amount of paint on the little end of the stick and then onto the model and it has to be done each time by paintbrush, i did some more in black on the underside and they look like lines of writing because of the wood fibre, that's why i chose to make them of wood. they look even better when done onto matt paint finishes, just the right texture. I have toned them all down a bit by using the main background colours of areas on an almost dry brush and barely 'streaking' over them but not just painting them out. For less accessible areas and tight spots i tried dragging the point of a cocktail stick in lines with a very small amount of paint on it and it looked good too. Again i lessened their effect because i didnt want them taking away from the overall look of the model; they're supposed to contribute, not distract! lol Not all models need the same amount of decals and in fact many on the Helldiver i didnt put on because they would never have been seen anyway because of their colour and the colours on the model. I have experimented with it and how to tone them down a bit and i'm happy with the effect; i'd use them again.

I'll point them out when i put the RFI pictures on the forum.

Edited by Markh-75