Nordic Heavy Metal Pt 1 - Viggen

Enzo the Magnificent

I'm not convinced that the Viggen needs any introduction from me.  :)  It is a spectacular and iconic aircraft.

Sadly, in 1/72 it was not well served.  The Airfix and Hasegawa kits represented early protoypes.  The Matchbox kit was an improvement in shape but suffered from the usual Matchbox issues of trenches and lack of detail.  Eventually Heller came to the rescue with a multi-version kit.  Although it has raised panel lines, it still stands up well in the twenty-first century.

But now we have an excellent kit from Tarangus and Special Hobby.  This has been released in numerous versions.  Probably the best value is the Double Pack, which allows you to build either the AJ attack version or the SK trainer version.

spacer.png

If you want to build a JA fighter or SF recce version, there are seperate boxings available.

This will be built as an SH37.  This is the maritime attack version of the AJ37, and is pretty much identical externally.  The model will be finished in the iconic splinter scheme, carrying Rb04 anti-shipping missiles under the wings.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, reini said:

It's a great box - comes with a book too :) I have plans to open the same box during this GB.

I thought it was a bit expensive at first.   But then I saw just how much plastic is in the box.  And the book is just the icing on the cake!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Finally joining the party are we?

I considered opening my own boxing but went Tunnan instead

Tunnan?  :wub: 

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I'm really interested to see how you get on with yours Enzo.

I have a JA37 in progress (too far gone for this GB) so I already know that it's not exactly a straighforward build.  But it just needs a bit of care.

It also helps if you don't lose the nose gear bay to the carpet monster five seconds after opening the bag...  :wall:    Damn you, carpet monster!!!   :angry:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So let's look at the parts.

These are just the parts for the AJ version.   It's clear that a lot of thought has gone into this kit.  The fuselage is split to allow a spacer part in the JA boxing.   I was also puzzled about the large gaps on some of the sprues.   I originally though they were because parts had been omitted in that particular boxing.  However, having seen all the boxings, I couldn't work out what those parts were.

I came to the realization that they gaps were to allow slide moulding.  I've only ever seen slide moulding employed at the edge of a sprue, so it cam as a surprise to see it employed in the middle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The fin on this sprue is applicable to the JA and SK versions.

spacer.png

Single seat sprue.  See what I mean about gaps?

spacer.png

spacer.png

these sprues are specific to the JA version.   If you buy the SF recce version you get the same fin with a different nose.

spacer.png

You can see, there's a lot of plastic in this kit.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Do you have a WIP for your other Viggen build?

Sadly no.  But it might end up photobombing this thread.  I've finished decalling it, so I'll probably put it to one side until this one catches up and then complete them as a pair.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

...hmm ok I think you can stop now Enzo!!! :D

A double Viggen build, how can/could you top that. 

Gee the sprue looks like a scaled down version of the 1/48th model...which is a good and bad thing as fit can be (is) and issue with the 1/48th version.

The SH version is my fav with the splinter and the BFO Robots under the wings!! :wub:

Are you sure those gaps ant't for where the parts go for other versions?

Well good luck for this one as well, gee you're going to be a busy boy, I do look forward to following this one and seeing her in the gallery at the end.

25 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

...hmm ok I think you can stop now Enzo!!! :D

shan't !   :fraidnot:  

Gee the sprue looks like a scaled down version of the 1/48th model...which is a good and bad thing as fit can be (is) and issue with the 1/48th version.

Fit is still an issue with the 1/72 version.  But it's more about the complexity of the build rather than any moulding issues. 

Are you sure those gaps ant't for where the parts go for other versions? :D

Definitely.  I have all the other boxings in The Stash and they are all the same.  Look carefully at the sprues.  Every time there  is a mid-sprue gap, there is an assocaited raised runner at the edge.  This indicates a slide mould with a turret mould in the middle. 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Definitely.  I have all the other boxings in The Stash and they are all the same.  Look carefully at the sprues.  Every time there  is a mid-sprue gap, there is an assocaited raised runner at the edge.  This indicates a slide mould with a turret mould in the middle. 

gee they do have an odd way of doing things!

A splinter-scheme Viggen with a set of FBMs under the wings :wub: I've no idea what the Swedish for 'Sit down and shut up' is but that pretty much covers what the combination says to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First thing to do is to build the forward fuselage.

spacer.png

The instructions state that there is no need for nose ballast unless the modeller is adding aftermarket weapons.  So the ballast goes in!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I lost control and took a razor saw to the wings!  :frantic: 

spacer.png

There are nicely moulded parts for the engine front and rear. 

spacer.png

As this is a AJ-37 derivative, there is no fuselage extension, so about 2mm needs to be trimmed from the rear of the fuselage spine.  This is clearly marked with an engraved line on the inside of the part.  If you were building the JA-37 kit, you would leave the spine intact and fit a spacer part between the two fuselage assemblies.

spacer.png

The thrust reverser petals are provided as seperate parts.  It's a bit of a fiddle to get them in, but you can place them in whatever position you see fit.

spacer.png

• Like 9

A double Viggen build... noice! 
I have to say, compared to the Heller kit, it does look rather complicated. At least you’re sticking to your usual ‘build them all’ slogan, good to see you do take a swig of your own medicine every now and again. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

A double Viggen build... noice! 
I have to say, compared to the Heller kit, it does look rather complicated. At least you’re sticking to your usual ‘build them all’ slogan, good to see you do take a swig of your own medicine every now and again.

:D   But it's not a double Viggen build.  The SK-37 parts have stayed in the box for another day. 

• Sad 1

I have the same kit so I'll watch this to learn more of it.

Just some nitpicking: The SH 37 was not a  maritime attack version. SH stands for Spaning Hav, = Reconnaissance Sea. It is mostly seen with the camera pod on the right fuselage pylon.

But with the upgrade of the Viggen system in the 1990's it became AJSH 37 with the attack capability. But as theAJ, SH and their upgraded variants only differ by the markings on them as far as I can tell (some things in the cockpit may differ)  there is no problems with your build.

Edit

There are informations that say that the SH 37 could carry the Rb04 and after the mod to AJSH the Rb15.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

nice to see you're off and running with this one as well......and hiding more of you'r gold stash as well I see! :D

Being the scaled down version of the 1/48th model all the filler matches up......just watch out for the fuselage/wing joins, they're not the best in the big version, so suspect they'll be the same here.

2 hours ago, Orso said:

I have the same kit so I'll watch this to learn more of it.

Just some nitpicking: The SH 37 was not a  maritime attack version. SH stands for Spaning Hav, = Reconnaissance Sea. It is mostly seen with the camera pod on the right fuselage pylon.

But with the upgrade of the Viggen system in the 1990's it became AJSH 37 with the attack capability. But as theAJ, SH and their upgraded variants only differ by the markings on them as far as I can tell (some things in the cockpit may differ)  there is no problems with your build.

It is interesting the the SH is listed as Maritime Reconnaissance but is also seen with the Robots under the wings. Was this a common config at the time or mission specific, do you know?

I don't think that it was able to carry them before the AJSH mod. but when I'm trying to find information I get conflicting results. Some say that the SH 37 could carry the Rb 04 and that after the AJSH mod the Rb 15.

But looking at old pictures and sketches with the weapon loads for the SH 37, the Rb 04 isn't mentioned. Perhaps the safest thing to do is to build one from the F17 or F21 wing as they had both versions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:18 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

I thought it was a bit expensive at first.   But then I saw just how much plastic is in the box.  And the book is just the icing on the cake!  :thumbsup:

I almost got because of the book.  But somehow restrained myself....not sure how as that doesn't happen often.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:D   But it's not a double Viggen build.  The SK-37 parts have stayed in the box for another day. 

What!?! Shame on you! :lol:

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

I almost got because of the book.  But somehow restrained myself....not sure how as that doesn't happen often.  :rolleyes:

Fighting the same urge myself and all these Viggen builds isn't helping. So if we crumble it's their fault! ;) 

On 08/02/2020 at 13:23, Col. said:

A splinter-scheme Viggen with a set of FBMs under the wings :wub: I've no idea what the Swedish for 'Sit down and shut up' is but that pretty much covers what the combination says to me.

"Sit down and shup up" is "sitt ner och håll käft" in Swedish...

7 hours ago, Orso said:

I don't think that it was able to carry them before the AJSH mod. but when I'm trying to find information I get conflicting results. Some say that the SH 37 could carry the Rb 04 and that after the AJSH mod the Rb 15.

But looking at old pictures and sketches with the weapon loads for the SH 37, the Rb 04 isn't mentioned. Perhaps the safest thing to do is to build one from the F17 or F21 wing as they had both versions.

We had AJSH and AJSF at F7 in 1997, so it's always a possibility to use that wing for markings, and the rather more funky RB15.

But at that time, the wing number was varying a lot! There were F15 marked AJ:s mixed together with a few F7 and F17 as well. The Viggen was on its way out and it showed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Orso said:

Perhaps the safest thing to do is to build one from the F17 or F21 wing as they had both versions.

I've been trying to work out which of the decal schemes I have would match the robots.  That's obviously the wrong way to do it.  I think it's better to find a picture of a jet with robots and match the decals to it.

How about this one?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm9.static.flickr.com%2F8020%2F7488305042_1a77eb0ee6.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickriver.com%2Fphotos%2Fhjakse%2F7488305042%2F&tbnid=iEwyqPT_uJz3hM&vet=12ahUKEwiUwrvir-3nAhVG3hoKHcf5ATsQMygIegUIARDqAQ..i&docid=YeKa2tLtP44XWM&w=500&h=339&q=viggen rb04&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwiUwrvir-3nAhVG3hoKHcf5ATsQMygIegUIARDqAQ 

I particularly like the look of the shabby two tone nose cone on that aircraft.