The Unexpected Journey RFI - Spitfire Vb AB910, KP 1/72

CedB

On February 14th 1945, a cold and overcast morning, the Duty Controller at RAF Hibaldstow instructed that ‘rough weather’ procedures should be observed by all, on account of strong winds. As such, a member of the Women’s Auxiliary Air force (WAAF), Margaret Ida Horton, assisted the pilot of AB910, Flight Lieutenant Neil Cox DFC, by sitting on the plane’s tail while he taxied to take-off position. This was common practice in order to prevent the aircraft ground looping in the gusty conditions. The pilot dutifully carried out all necessary checks and – having forgotten Margaret was sitting on the tail entirely – started down the runway and promptly took off. It was immediately clear to the pilot that AB910 was not handling in its usual manner and upon investigating the cause, he quickly realised that poor Margaret was still wrapped around the aircraft’s tail, clinging desperately to its elevator. Fortunately, he was able to turn into the circuit and land AB910 – and his unexpected passenger – safely, much to the relief of onlookers.

The story is further documented here where we learn that Margaret was always known as Ida, so Ida she will be. She said that AB910 was "…a lovely kite, always getting into some kind of scrape. Her squadron identification letters were MVT and I used to call her 'T for Trouble'".

Here's my take on the episode, documented in the WiP here.

I used the KP 'Early' Vb kit (which is very nice) and airbrushed with Colourcoats, including most of the markings; the serials are transfers though, too small for my mask cutter.

I really must do something about the backdrop in my booth but here are my 'best shots'.

49502312302_cd1acfd788_z.jpg

49502312292_9deebf80a9_z.jpg

Forgot the gun covers. Rats.

Hang on Ida!

49502089776_c29cc95c7b_z.jpg

49502089696_87180eaea3_z.jpg

We'll be down soon…

49502312307_80e042b893_z.jpg

• Like 34

Lovely job, and a great story, but I have to ask, is Ida in the right place? It was common for the ground crew to drape themselves over the horizontal stabilizer, but I've not heard of anyone wrapping themselves around the vertical fin.

Ian

• Like 1

Nice one Ced, but...

Nit picking I know...

Wouldn't Ida have had her hat whisked away in the rather strong breeze?

Remarkable, in every respect.

:thumbsup:

PS  Maybe not only her hat?

Edited by FatFlyHalf
A weak attempt at humour
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It was common for the ground crew to drape themselves over the horizontal stabilizer, but I've not heard of anyone wrapping themselves around the vertical fin.

I'd composed a post saying just that in the WIP thread Ian, then read the links to the story Ced posted and there was a pic of Ida in just that position with her comment that that's how she hung on! Deleted the post quicker than I typed it!! :)

Cracking job again Ced!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job, and a great story, but I have to ask, is Ida in the right place? It was common for the ground crew to drape themselves over the horizontal stabilizer, but I've not heard of anyone wrapping themselves around the vertical fin.

Ian

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'd composed a post saying just that in the WIP thread Ian, then read the links to the story Ced posted and there was a pic of Ida in just that position with her comment that that's how she hung on! Deleted the post quicker than I typed it!! :)

Cracking job again Ced!

Keith

Thanks ian - as Keith says (thanks Keith) Ida told her story and posed for a photo in the article here. The figure I have fitted better 'the other way around' but hey, give a guy a break! :D 

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great job bringing the story to life Ced, T for trouble indeed!

Thanks Cookie - it all started in the BBMF hanger as you know, you were there! :) 

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Indeed, great job and very enjoyable WIP, as usual. :clap2: :clap2:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, glad you liked it! :) 

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Another Beautiful build Ced. :worthy:

Thanks Dennis, very kind :) 

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant. Great WIP stunner of an RFI . 
🤩🤩🤩🙌🙌🙌

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

3 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Nice one Ced, but...

Nit picking I know...

Wouldn't Ida have had her hat whisked away in the rather strong breeze?

Remarkable, in every respect.

:thumbsup:

PS  Maybe not only her hat?

Thanks FFH :) You would have thought so eh, but in the article Ida says "Cocooned in the airflow she could hear no noise and was quite calm" so 'poetic licence' applies.

Even though she probably wouldn't have been wearing a hat. Or a skirt.

Just one more picture - you knew I would have to didn't you:

49504005772_212aa467ff_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks ian - as Keith says (thanks Keith) Ida told her story and posed for a photo in the article here. The figure I have fitted better 'the other way around' but hey, give a guy a break! :D 

Thanks Cookie - it all started in the BBMF hanger as you know, you were there! :) 

Thanks Giorgio, glad you liked it! :) 

Thanks Dennis, very kind :) 

Thanks Johnny :) 

Thanks FFH :) You would have thought so eh, but in the article Ida says "Cocooned in the airflow she could hear no noise and was quite calm" so 'poetic licence' applies.

Even though she probably wouldn't have been wearing a hat. Or a skirt.

Just one more picture - you knew I would have to didn't you:

49504005772_212aa467ff_z.jpg

That’s one way to celebrate a finished build!..... oh right they are for the gun covers!

excellent WIP and finish Ced 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3