Marivox 1/72 Sk60B

Parrahs

22 hours ago, Parrahs said:

XGJGsqI.jpg

Quite a contrast when compared to the gear wells, as these contain no hints of details or even (it seems to me) the rough shape of the real thing.

True. But then again the wheel struts seem quite obtrusive so I think they will do a good job of hiding the non-detailed wheel wells :P But I get what you mean - adding detail in one place makes the non-detailed places look even more bare. And the plane practically has no panel lines in the first place. Interesting to see how the plane looks once the paint is on.

Really great to see how you handle the kit - doing a good job

wow this one is really making you work for it!!! But you're beating her slowly and it's looking good.

That PE work is very nice considering the size of those pieces. 

Canopies........now I know why I'm starting to like building AFV's so much! Hopefully you can get a replacement bit. But have you considered using the old one as a mould for a new one? looking at the shape of it you could always "smash mould" a new one from acrylic sheet? It would be nice and thin and help solve your seat problem.

So my replacement canopy showed up. For free. Despite me telling them that I had broken the first one, instead of saying it was missing or anything.

Unfortunately, it was also ever so slightly shot short, or possibly slightly banged up by the postal service. Either way a corner was missing.

At this point I wasn't going to wait for a third one, so off to plan C instead: vacuformed. Long story short with the main canopy there I had some issues getting it to sit right and given the thin edge gluing it in place was a bit on the frustrating side, so I just decided to use the kit part instead for that. Then off to the wind-shield we go. Here shown with the original (properly shaped) one for comparison.

eWfMhyL.jpg

Oh dear. Et tu, third party bits? As you can probably imagine, this little difference in length does change the slope a bit, turning the overall profile of the canopy from an even curve/slop into more of a lying down letter P. To fix this I stuffed the vacuformed one into the original, matched up the rear ends somewhat, and drew a line across the bit sticking out in front for cutting. The framing there will simply have to be somewhat under scale (ie just paint). Luckily the vacuform canopy came as a pack of two, because it took two tries to make something that kinda, sorta fit like it should (you may not get many pictures of the right hand side from now on). And with that the saga of assembling this thing is basically over, and we're in primer.

NDM5uTZ.jpg

After this pic was taken the nose got to say hello to some of my finer sanding sticks again, after which I got things back into primer.

• Like 5

:blink:....I think I got lost on the2nd line of the canopy saga!

Glad you got it all sorted out.

That finish with the black is great, any blemishes would have shown up easily, with the work required to get that nice finish, top marks on it!! :thumbsup:

Got some painting done. First step was to spray on some aluminium for the main gear "wells", underside of the engine, and rear fuselage sides. That done I gave some thought to how easy various bits would be to mask for which step, masked the gear wells and under the engines and sprayed a bit of black again. As masked:

SmOkD0X.jpg

I then put in a finer nozzle and went over the underside with a very uneven coat of grey.

d6VeoFY.jpg

This was finally covered in a solid but somewhat translucent coat of grey, which I forgot to photo. Oh well, we'll be retuning there for the decals. A quick bit of masking and I started to do the same with the dark blue.

yeGjyWD.jpg

That's not a lot of contrast. Something a bit lighter seems like it'd be an idea. Now as per the other SAAB 105 build here the blue does tend to fade to green with age, so I simply grabbed some of that instead.

qs7xZJ1.jpg

So far so good. When it was time for the covering coat however, well, I'm using a pot of Vallejo for that since I used it on a J35 some time back and it is supposed ot match and all. Unfortunately I just don't get along well with Vallejo Air paints, at all. So when some subtly is called for the best I can do frequently end up being "two year old with a spray can".

PZHHzlX.jpg

There's some variation and life left in it at least. Hopefully it'll work out decently with the green next to it.

Edited by Parrahs
Managed to post with half the post unwritten.
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, reini said:

What paints are you using? MRP?

The paints are a jolly mix from all over the place. Mr Surfacer as primer, MRP for the grey and the green I used to mottle, the blue i Vallejo (I also forgot to mention that I put a miniscule drop of olive green into the final coat there, I should probably have been a tad more generous with that), and the final green for the camo will be Tamiya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the final stretch. The green was built up in much the same way as the blue, though with a different final colour on top.

7Be3JB5.jpg

Going with Tamiya instead of Vallejo on top made the experience rather more pleasant, though I have a feeling I may have gone a bit heavy with the blend coat. With the various leading edges and whatnot also painted up:

rcREgn0.jpg

Decals next, and gluing on the landing gear.

Gojwses.jpg

Nice and colourful. The painting instructions suggested a winter scheme where the blue had been overpainted with white, but as far as I can tell (Ie according to Kronmärkt) that was an experimental scheme never used at F21

This leaves various bits of varnish, a quick bit of panel lining (what panel lines and such there are), adding the gun pods and replacing the masking windows with the final ones. And so the next post on this project will be of the finished aircraft.

• Like 5

And done. The "proper" photos go in the gallery, but I'm rounding off here with a photo of the jet side of the family.

LyEhh9n.jpg

Something I did miss earlier is that between the camo and the aluminium paint I hit the model form above with a very light and highly diluted bit of buff to fade and blend things together a bit.

Now I'll go back to a build where things fit...

• Like 4

well done on completing her, not the easiest of tasks, but the results are awesome she look really nice.

That is a fine collection you have there and she fits in nicely.

It's been great to have you along and I hope for the most part you enjoyed the build, hopefully now you get to build something a bit more relaxing.