Photos of F-51H cockpit & of aircraft in Texas ANG service?

ErikB

I'm looking for photos of the cockpit of the F-51H in ANG service. Were these repainted in black as the F-51D cockpits were?

Secondly, are there any photos floating around on the internet that show the Texas ANG option of the Modelsvit 1/48 kit?

Cheers,

Erik.

Erik,

The 111th, 181st, and 182nd TX ANG squadrons were all Mustang-equipped; you can search those squadrons for photos; we also had a some pretty detailed discussions here on BM a while back on F-51H's and ANG units that flew them- you could do a search for those. IIRC, I did post some stuff  in those discussions. I can look through my references regarding your cockpit questions, but do not believe that the H's got black cockpits- just the inner surface of the canopy frames and upper sills and instrument panel coaming, if memory serves. Until  then, here's a link to a restoration done to an all-original H, that was basically cleaning up and repainting everything the way it was; I think it is probably the most complete and original surviving H. See if this helps get you started. I will come back and repost if I find better references, but I know we have some real Mustang authorities who can be of more help- I'm just going on what I recall  off the top of my pointed little head!

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2