DH-88 Comet - 1/48 Mikromir - in flight ?

SodaCitron

Good morning !

I've received my DH-88 1/48 from Mikromir and plan to build it, as all my models, in-flight. For those having done this kit, how would you address this question as the option is not included ? The cinematic of the gear looks intricate ; would removing the diagonal piece of the landing gear and gluing it horizontally suffice ?

Thank you!

Eric.

Edited by SodaCitron

I haven't built it, but looking at the instructions the wheel and cover (gear door) both mount on the basic gear leg, so I'd probably see if that assembly- the three pieces together- would sit well in the right position.  You could also then do away with almost all of the engine/mount/etc to make life much simpler!

I'll be doing mine gear down, but also fully cowled, so will see how little engine I need.  Maybe I'll build up a Gipsy Major engine for my eventual Airfix Tiger Moth!

This is my second kit after a 30 years break. Coming from a Tamiya Spitfire Mk I 1/48, I find the quality of this kit... interesting, with a lot of flash and a very soft plastic. But... after clean up, the parts seem to pose no major problem so far. Anyway, I will take my time. Reading other posts on this brand keeps me motivated as people slowly getting their way through issues, one step at a time.

I am afraid I will have to also build the engines, the openings in the cowls being quite large.

• 1 month later...

When the the under-carriage is retracted on most (relatively simple) aircraft the legs rest at their most extended length. If a model has been designed to sit correctly on it's under-carriage the oleo's will represent loading, then the legs will be shorter.  So if these shorter legs are used retracted, they won't look right. Note how your wheels are not protruding enough as they should be further back.

The reverse of this is why many kits in the past have adopted the wrong sit because manufacturers copied the wrong leg length which was often shown on drawings, as the extended length.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 4/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, keith in the uk said:

I want one but Hannants have sold out  .  😥

Got mine on ebay. But be forewarned : it is a terrible kit that doesn't worth its price. Good luck ! Maybe in 💯 years Tamiya will release one 🤪