Am I alone in the world? Airfix 1/48 Heyford wishes...

NorthBayKid

1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

I think a Fairy IIIF would be a great idea. A real workhorse, great aeroplane and sold abroad. 

Agreed, could do any role required of a 1920s military aircraft apart from fighter and it could probably do a number on a heavy bomber.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:00 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Niche things are always nice to see, always an unusual thing to have in the collection. I intend to buy Airfix's Whitley which is certainly a niche kit, so I'd welcome more obscure subjects. 

But really I just want a kit of a vulcan b1 :(

Whitley's £24.99 at the Hornby hobby shop in Margate .

Keith

On 2/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, ClaudioN said:

I'm with you on the Blackburn Blackburn, but I'd prefer 72nd.  A Fairey IIID AND an Avro Bison would also be interesting subjetcs, not really a Dogfight Double subject, but...  Beauty and the Beast?

Perhaps, a Fairey IIIF might have some (very) remote chance of market sales?

Joystick make a 1/72 Bison. It's available via their own website but you might want to shop around.

43 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

Joystick make a 1/72 Bison. It's available via their own website but you might want to shop around.

I may have it, hidden somewhere... Didn't know it's still available.

Curiously after Blue Rider, so many years ago, nobody else cared about the Fairey IIID, AFAIK. And Contrail's IIIF isn't that easy either.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:14 AM, Work In Progress said:

And the well-known Aeroclub 1/48 Rapide has a vac fuselage but injected flying surfaces and the usual white metal bits

I actually think this makes great sense, having the vac fuselage with the rest of the larger parts injected with small bits either resin and photo etch.  This however would mean it is going to be a short run kit but I think this is the way to go to get some of these esoteric aircraft.  And the quality of short run kit has remarkably improved in recent years so I would not expect to sacrifice much in detail, accuracy or ability to build it.

Of all the subjects suggested above, only the Rapide has extant examples.  Doubt if any of the others listed have suviving drawings, ergo Airfix won't tool them.

However if the Walrus sold well, and the Tiger Moth (when it does finally appear) does likewise, then a Rapide would be a very credible subject.

I would love to see the likes of Fairey lllF available but I don't think Airfix

will be the company doing them, sadly prewar subjects are neglected as the market is very niche. More likely Eastern European manufacturers may answer our prayers, companies such as AZ or Avis who have already kitted some rather obscure prewar subjects and very welcome too!

Cheers, Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, ClaudioN said:

I'm with you on the Blackburn Blackburn, but I'd prefer 72nd.  A Fairey IIID AND an Avro Bison would also be interesting subjetcs, not really a Dogfight Double subject, but...  Beauty and the Beast?

Perhaps, a Fairey IIIF might have some (very) remote chance of market sales?

On 2/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, melvyn hiscock said:

I think a Fairy IIIF would be a great idea. A real workhorse, great aeroplane and sold abroad. 

On 2/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, AltcarBoB said:

Agreed, could do any role required of a 1920s military aircraft apart from fighter and it could probably do a number on a heavy bomber.

If you're after a 1/48 Fairey IIIF, I'm about to offer mine as a kit.

• Like 2