Am I alone in the world? Airfix 1/48 Heyford wishes...

NorthBayKid

Or a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn. I'm sure that would sell like hot cakes.... :)

14 minutes ago, NorthBayKid said:

1/48 Heyford

Despite the fact I had a Matchbox one for decades that I eventually gave away, I'd probably buy one!

Keith

When you consider the choice of colours and operators for the Walrus I would say it’s not as ‘oddball’ as some would suggest. The Heyford is a favourite of mine, however is hardly a subject that the worldwide market is crying for, nor Airfix is likely to generate money from. To be frank, something like this could kill it off forever IMO

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

You are probably alone in the world or almost alone. At best an exclusive club perhaps.

I did buy the Matchbox 1/72 Heyford. But my wife says I'm odd and she didn't even know me when I was buying oddball Matchbox kits. 

A 1/48 Dragon Rapide is perhaps not so odd but it would always have been a vacform. Someone should bring back vacforms. I got great satisfaction from them and delicate biplanes were always best when vacformed. Particularly in 1/72.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

You are probably alone in the world or almost alone. At best an exclusive club perhaps.

A 1/48 Dragon Rapide is perhaps not so odd but it would always have been a vacform. Someone should bring back vacforms. I got great satisfaction from them and delicate biplanes were always best when vacformed. Particularly in 1/72.

I recall Isracast did a resin and vacform Rapide in 48 scale about 6 years ago

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

I recall Isracast did a resin and vacform Rapide in 48 scale about 6 years ago

As did Aeroclub a while before that - and which can sell on e-bay now for a price that must be close to a real one when they were first built...!! 🤣

Keith

Niche things are always nice to see, always an unusual thing to have in the collection. I intend to buy Airfix's Whitley which is certainly a niche kit, so I'd welcome more obscure subjects. 

But really I just want a kit of a vulcan b1 :(

8 hours ago, MilneBay said:

Why not push the boat out and go for a Fairy Hendon - a monoplane and all one colour.

I would buy a 1/72 Hendon like a shot. If it was only available in 1/48 I might be tempted though it would be a big beast.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 05:59, MilneBay said:

Here's the 1/72 vacuform one I did about 30 years ago. 

That looks great, have you any more photos. I have never tried a vacform kit but I might be tempted. If I could find one.

Edited by Julien
Pls dont quote pictures

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Aaaand you don't think a 1:48 Heyford is going to be big?
The 72 one already takes up plenty of space.

My old eyes don't let me do things like that in 1/72 any longer, sadly :(

17 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'd love a new Heyford, in either 1:48 or 1:72, but can't see Airfix doing one. Apart from the "niche market" issue, there's no longer a real one around for them to measure. Ditto with the Hendon.

Matchbox did it!

1 minute ago, NorthBayKid said:

My old eyes don't let me do things like that in 1/72 any longer, sadly :(

I just accepted I look silly with a magnifying headset on. 

Works fine when cutting belts for a 1:72 hurri.

y4m13j-0VKWVJaGfDkiCZFElo8F422VHT39rAp9r

33 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Only two years before spectacularly going bust

I remember the problem for Matchbox was the toy car market in North America disappeared. It had been a major money-spinner for them but cheaper shinier imports from Hong Kong and Macau took the market away. A lack of cashflow killed Matchbox they still had good sales in Europe but the dollars had been keeping them going.

• Sad 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:26 PM, keefr22 said:

Or a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn. I'm sure that would sell like hot cakes....

I'm with you on the Blackburn Blackburn, but I'd prefer 72nd.  A Fairey IIID AND an Avro Bison would also be interesting subjetcs, not really a Dogfight Double subject, but...  Beauty and the Beast?

Perhaps, a Fairey IIIF might have some (very) remote chance of market sales?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1