Good grief! Some idiots bought the Hobby Boss Tunnan, and he's going to build it!!

modelling minion

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A bit late in the day for an Aussie to start but I'm sure you'll make up for it :) .

It's  never too late,or early in the day for an Aussie.😜 One of those fascinating things living there had taught me,that and the 3 cardinal rules:

1. When its your shout don't winge

2. Never spill another mates beer

3. Never gate on your engine man

Follow those 3 and you can survive. Oh and don't try to keep a salty as a pet,

or play with brightly coloured spiders.

Edited by LorenSharp
  • Haha 4

Well I have the fuselage all buttoned up now including fitting the nose intake and I have to say that I am really, really impressed by the fit. have a look at the pictures below and bear in mind that I use squadron green putty for a filler;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did you spot the filler? 

Thats right, there isn't any! None at all. The white bits you can see are bits of dust from smoothing the joints with fine sanding sticks which has settled in some of the recessed details but there is absolutely no filler at all, even on the nose ring. 1/51st scale or not this has to be one of the best engineered and best fitting kits I have ever built and is a joy to put together, based on what I've done so far I would definitely get another one, at least then all my Tunnans would be the same size :) .

I'm going to start on the wings next and I've decided to build her with just the tanks under the wings, hopefully they will go together as well as the fuselage has.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 20

Nice build craig ,I have  to admit somtimes hobbyboss get a raw deal ,admittedly some of the kits are a little  wayward  shape wise , but on the whole they do usually fit well,  "if" a little care is taken test fitting, this looks to be a good one ,(also good to know it could be a weekend build too),you only have to take your eyes off this gb for a day and you end up missing quite a bit, he says catching up

• Thanks 1

nice work and no filler either!! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice build craig ,I have  to admit somtimes hobbyboss get a raw deal ,admittedly some of the kits are a little  wayward  shape wise , but on the whole they do usually fit well,  "if" a little care is taken test fitting, this looks to be a good one ,(also good to know it could be a weekend build too),you only have to take your eyes off this gb for a day and you end up missing quite a bit, he says catching up

with the amount of models they release they have to get one right.

Catching up he says!!! We now have 106 build threads going...I miss a date and I have 3 pages of build to catch up on (a couple of modelling hours lost)..... and to top it off we're only 1 month in!!!  :yikes:

• Haha 5

Cheers guys, not had as much time on this as I would have liked but the main assembly is pretty much done, and no the wings didn't fit as well as the fuselage :( . Nothing drastic just needed a thin strip of stretched sprue and some plastic putty and the gap was filled, I don't have any pics at the minute as my pc and camera seem to have fallen out and aren't talking to each other, hopefully they will get over it soon.

This really is a fast moving GB isn't it, I can't remember the last one we had that got so many responses and replies and changed what page your build is on so quickly, just shows how popular the GB must be!

• Like 3

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Sorry I missed the start of your build but it looks like it's going rather spendidly at the moment! Lovely work in the cockpit! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Cheers Mark and Stix, very much appreciated.

Well normal service has resumed between the PC and camera and I can share some pics of how she looks at the moment. As I mentioned earlier the airframe is now complete with only the cannon ports and aerials to fit, I really like the look of this aircraft, the shape of the fuselage and tail make it look like a Manatee with wings, and who doesn't like a Manatee! Enough of the waffle here are the pics, sorry for the poor light they were taken in;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see there really wasn't much filling needed on the wing joints and I still stand by my statement about the good engineering of this kit. Hopefully I will get the cockpit coaming finished and the canopies fitted (loosely for the rear one) and then I can start getting some paint on!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

nice work with those wing joins, in cases like that stretched plastic sprue is the only way to go, nice work.

On 2/17/2020 at 5:43 AM, modelling minion said:

This really is a fast moving GB isn't it, I can't remember the last one we had that got so many responses and replies and changed what page your build is on so quickly, just shows how popular the GB must be!

tell me about it, i have never hosted a GB that is this hard to keep up with, miss a day and I have 2 pages of updates to catch up on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First GB I have ever been in where you can go from first on Page 1 to last on Page 2 in less than 24 hours!

Any idea how many builds it is up to now - must be well over 100?

Pete

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

tell me about it, i have never hosted a GB that is this hard to keep up with, miss a day and I have 2 pages of updates to catch up on!

I know what you mean, I'm sure there are some builds I've missed completely, but it is a really good sign of how popular this GB really is.

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

First GB I have ever been in where you can go from first on Page 1 to last on Page 2 in less than 24 hours!

It really is fast moving isn't it Pete! There are some truly excellent and inspiring builds on here too.

• Like 1

awesome work craig, this is promising to be another of your excellent builds. 👍

On 2/19/2020 at 4:34 AM, trickyrich said:

You’re doing a sterling job.
(...oh crap! Now you have another post to read!) 😬

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

awesome work craig, this is promising to be another of your excellent builds.

Thanks Paul you are far too kind hope to get some paint on over the weekend, even if just primer, then I need to spend some time on my poor neglected Stuka and make a start on something for the In The Navy GB!

• Like 1

After a week of work hell, I’m finally catching up on some of these GB threads. I do say, this kit (and your fine building skills) are definitely on show here Craig and you’re doing a great job convincing many modellers to take a second look at this HobbyBoss Tunnan. You’re doing a great job mate, well done. 

Cheers.. Dave (who’s have trouble finding what page his threads are on!) 

• Thanks 1