ICM Gloster Gladiator

That looks fabulous! As someone who has been somewhat anal-retentive on the subject, I just have to say that your painting of the exhaust collector is the most realistic I have ever seen. And those figures! Fantastic!

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, galgos said:

Please note, K8000 certainly was a 56 squadron Gladiator but there is no documentary evidence that she, nor any other 56 squadron Gladiator sported the famous chequerboard scheme.  This is wishful thinking on my behalf.

Max

Wonderfull :goodjob: - and you know - sometimes wishes DO come true (or at least they should)! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

Looks very nice! You are probably right about the scheme but it does look the business. How was the kit to build? Looks great in the box.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, I’m building a “history of 56 squadron” aircraft. Their Gauntlets certainly had the chequers so there’s a reasonable chance at least one Gladiator did but no known photos exist. The kit is a delight to build, just a bit of extra care is needed with the tailplanes, I used extra brass rod to strengthen the join.

2 hours ago, John R said:

If only the figures looked as real as the model...

Well I’m pleased the plane is satisfactory.

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

That looks absolutely superb! When I first scrolled down to image number two I thought I was looking at the real thing as the figure in the cockpit is extremely well done.

What scale?

Thank you, Yes indeed, 1/32nd. ICM are bringing out a Mk II and Sea Gladiator too. Very easy to build and pretty straightforward rigging. 

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

They are 1/32

Well done, Max, that is the first I've seen of these and it looks wonderful. Where are the figures from?

I’m sure the kit will do well for ICM, I’m quite surprised none has appeared here before. Lots of alternative decal options are becoming available. The seated and standing pilots are both also ICM, produced with the Gladiator in mind, though the seated pilot’s head is a Hornet replacement. The sergeant fitter is a Wings Cockpit figure. 

1 hour ago, skunk said:

That Sir is amazing, great work wonderfully built.

Thank you, I enjoyed every minute of the build, it was trouble-free apart from one moment of incompetence from me! 

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

That looks fabulous! As someone who has been somewhat anal-retentive on the subject, I just have to say that your painting of the exhaust collector is the most realistic I have ever seen. And those figures! Fantastic!

Chris

The exhaust collector is such an obvious feature which I spent quite a lot of time trying to get right. After a silver base coat I lightly sprayed patches of thinned blue, purple and brown in fairly random areas then overpainted with a very watery acrylic paint, with frequent references to some pictures I took of the Duxford Gladiator.

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Wonderfull :goodjob: - and you know - sometimes wishes DO come true (or at least they should)! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Well Hans, I’m planning a 56 squadron Gauntlet using this kit as a basis so those wishes will come true then! Thank you.

• Like 1

Gentlemen, thank you all for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.  CR, you won't be stealing my ideas at all, we all learn from these forums and share knowledge, ideas and experience, it is the raison d'être to my mind.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, invidia said:

Looks fantastic, I need to get myself one of these 

You should, it’s a real pleasure to build. Mine was completed, including my own masks and painted insignia rather than decals in about a month.

A stunning build ! Mine's on its way and I can't wait to start it. Hope it looks half as good as yours when finished.

I echo the admiration  of Chris [Dogsbody] of your attention to the colour of the collector ring - like him, I have an anal fixation about accurate reproduction of a very difficult but important area to get right.

Do the turnbuckles come with the kit, are they Bob's Buckles or home-made. Whatever, they set off the rigging very nicely.

Rog

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rog, I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I did, not too much of an exaggeration to say it was the most pleasant model that I've made for a while and of course plenty of opportunities for super detailing.  ICM have got it just right in the design of the kit, as I mentioned earlier on I'm going to buy another and make a Gauntlet from it.....should be interesting!  The turnbuckles are, you're right, Bob's Buckles - just the 0.3mm micro tubing and the rigging is Prym, a neat fit in the tubes.  Between the fore and aft interplane struts I used stretched sprue.

Glad you liked the Gladiator, thank you for your kind comments.

Max

• Like 1

Wow - amazing silver Glad and airmans figures are too good ! I still little wait for box with Siege of  Malta campaing or Finnish AF decals... But this pre-war machine is too nice ! 

• Thanks 1