Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane (Norway 1940)

Gisbod

Hi all,

After the 1/48 ‘Hurricat’ thought I’d have a go at the Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I.

First impressions are excellent - lovely detail, beautifully refined surface detail and a set of PE & Masks. The only flaw seems to be a fair amount of flash on the sprues. Two options for the canopy open/ closed - the open one looks a little thick at first glance. 

3478-E922-9-F99-47-A4-89-B5-329976-DCDF9

I wanted to do something a little different on the colour scheme so after some hunting around on the net I came up with this:

Norway 1940 (the top one - half grey)

6-F71149-D-6554-47-E4-8243-209205-DCE975

Montex Masks, but not available in 1/72 but I have a modelling friend who very kindly knocks me up masks 😁

Construction starts with the undercarriage and lower wing. Unfortunately it has you build the struts in situ and despite initially thinking I could add them after I succumbed to realising they really needed to be fixed in place now 🤨

I rate my chances of getting through the build without breaking them off as 50/50 at best 🥴 Great detail though!

97-CDF3-E9-AFD3-4216-B733-5-A12-A970-CC4

The Photo etch fret is fine, but the plastic is so well moulded I honestly think most of it is redundant - I’m not using most of it.

1-FC2-FB8-E-86-D1-47-D5-BB46-F69-F264-C5

Pretty amazing detail in the cockpit for this scale!

81-A1-FB73-9-ECB-4-C55-86-CD-DB0-F6-E9-C

Just an example of the flash on virtually every part, it’s easily removed but a bit of a pain on the smaller, more fiddly parts:

0-D654-B58-DAA4-4553-8-EA7-F75-A3-AF476-

Thanks for looking in ,

Guy

• Like 7

Beware: I agree that this is an attractive scheme but it was not actually used.  It was a plan, but photos of the aircraft being loaded onto Glorious show them as being in standard low demarcation Temperate Land over Aluminium, Night and White. 

There was however a rather similar scheme: early Sea Hurricanes with 881 Sq before embarking on HMS Indomitable had Temperate Sea Scheme with a high demarcation over Sky.  This was also suggested as Sky Grey, but the date makes this very unlikely.  It is possible that this was seen on FAA Hurricanes, as opposed to Sea Hurricanes, but I'd have to do a little digging to confirm that, and even then might not find evidence for it.

If you do decide to do a Sea Hurricane, use the DH spinner and propeller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Unfortunately it has you build the struts in situ and despite initially thinking I could add them after I succumbed to realising they really needed to be fixed in place now

you can wiggle them in later, @Procopius even posted a brief vid to show how.

44 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It is possible that this was seen on FAA Hurricanes, as opposed to Sea Hurricanes, but I'd have to do a little digging to confirm that, and even then might not find evidence for it.

It was Naval rather than Sea Hurricanes Graham, one pic in the FAA squadrons book you kindly sent me when you upgraded.   I have memories of posting up the image, I'll see if I can find it, it was 4 Hurricanes in flight, one or two with the high demarcation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

It's true, I did! Thrill to my nasal midwestern accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sc2wcVTRLo&feature=youtu.be

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Beware: I agree that this is an attractive scheme but it was not actually used.  It was a plan, but photos of the aircraft being loaded onto Glorious show them as being in standard low demarcation Temperate Land over Aluminium, Night and White. 

There was however a rather similar scheme: early Sea Hurricanes with 881 Sq before embarking on HMS Indomitable had Temperate Sea Scheme with a high demarcation over Sky.  This was also suggested as Sky Grey, but the date makes this very unlikely.  It is possible that this was seen on FAA Hurricanes, as opposed to Sea Hurricanes, but I'd have to do a little digging to confirm that, and even then might not find evidence for it.

If you do decide to do a Sea Hurricane, use the DH spinner and propeller.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that, that’s a shame, but I’m happy modelling the planned scheme, but I’d be interested in any grey Hurricane pics!  

52 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

It was Naval rather than Sea Hurricanes Graham, one pic in the FAA squadrons book you kindly sent me when you upgraded.   I have memories of posting up the image, I'll see if I can find it, it was 4 Hurricanes in flight, one or two with the high demarcation.

Hey Troy,

I did try re the undercarriage, but I thought it a bit of a squeeze and I’d probably break them that way anyway! All glued in situ now anyways. I’ll just have to man up and cope.. 

38 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It's true, I did! Thrill to my nasal midwestern accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sc2wcVTRLo&feature=youtu.be

Ah well done Procopius, Did your kit turn out ok? 

Guy

ps coincidentally, I’m in Chicago today 🙂 blooming cold!! 

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just a quick mini update as she’s almost finished, but one more progress shot.. painting done - insignia masked.

The panel lines are particularly good in this scale, particularly after having built a couple of Airfix kits..

B31-C49-C0-8-AF3-406-E-9538-D40703-DCCC1

Next update will be in the finished section I think.

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 8