767 Squadron Phantoms

CJP

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I did an image search for 767 NAS Phantoms & got a lot but not a single one showing them aboard the Ark.  Never say never & of course but it looks doubtful.

Thanks Graham T that is what I found too

CJP

The unit was established for conversion on to type for Royal Navy and RAF pilots and observers/navigators, I have never seen reference (inc  'Squadrons Of The Fleet Air Arm' book) to them operating aboard Ark Royal.

As above, would be great to know of an exception to that!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

I seem to remember that HMS Eagle was to be the designated carrier for the Phantoms and that decktrials took place. 

Edit. 3 a/c from 700P squadron and photos exist if you search - just off to pub or I would have posted links.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

conversion on to type for Royal Navy and RAF pilots and observers/navigators

I found the same info - even upto the point that the RAF lent 5 Phantoms to 767 sqdn to help out with the training

• Like 1

I seem to remember that 892 Squadron borrowed a 767 Squadron Phantom when they were doing work ups on Ark Royal in the early seventies after one of theirs went u/s. However, after spending the morning searching my Phantom books, I can find no written evidence of this. Perhaps my memory is failing me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

I seem to remember that 892 Squadron borrowed a 767 Squadron when they were doing work ups on Ark Royal in the early seventies after one of theirs went u/s.

I'm glad you said that as I can recall reading the same, have feeling it was one of the two camo'd jets and that it went u/s while aboard Ark Royal?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 71chally said:

have feeling it was one of the two camo'd jets and that it went u/s while aboard Ark Royal?

The camo'd FG.1s were on loan to 767 Sqn from 43 Sqn so it probably got seasick :sick:!

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just had a look at Phantom Squadrons Of The Royal Air Force And Fleet Arm by Richard L Ward and it mentions three FG.1 from the first delivery batch being assigned to the A&AEE test fleet to evaluate the type for release to service evaluation.     Carrier trials with these started on HMS Eagle but this proved unsuitable after engines in reheat started to burn the deck so they moved to HMS Ark Royal.

Images show two of the three aircraft involved , XT865 on Eagle in June 1969 and XT857 on Ark Royal , both are in standard RN colour scheme and markings , have a small arch shaped badge on the tail and carry the 'Rolls Royce' logo forward of the fuselage roundel while XT857 carries the number '7' on the intake splitter plate.

• Like 1