1/72 AZ Model Spitfire VIII Wing Cmdr Frank (Chota) Carey RAF Amarda Rd. India 1944

AZ Models are not the easiest to work with. This build required a lot of patience, drilling, sanding, filling and cussing. Since Eduard came out with 1/72 scale Mk VIIIs, I don't think I will put myself through building an AZ Model kit for a while. The canopy is Italeri, rest is straight OOB.

This was the WWII ace Wing Commander Frank (Chota) Carey's Spitfire based out of RAF Amarda Road, Odisha, India 1944. Colors are Mr. Hobby Dark Green and Flat Earth and Tamiya Media Sea Grey. Seat belts are scratch using masking tape.  Hope you like it!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 29

6 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

I've not yet built an AZ Spitfire but this gives me a bit of inspiration and motivation to get on with it!!

Great build and a very distinctive finish.

Thanks @Bangor Lad. Since the kits are short run, there is some flash etc and I had to dry fit everything before glueing to make sure the parts fit. 

Edited by Madmaks
  • Thanks 1

A nice looking job on this, that is a lovely finish on it. I know what you mean with the fit of these, I've done a couple of the AZ ones & careful trimming & trying seems to be the way forward. Challenges like poor location points don't help either & it appears to my eye your undercarriage may have suffered from this, it looks a bit too vertical to the wing & maybe needs some more forward rake to give it the right sit.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

A nice looking job on this, that is a lovely finish on it. I know what you mean with the fit of these, I've done a couple of the AZ ones & careful trimming & trying seems to be the way forward. Challenges like poor location points don't help either & it appears to my eye your undercarriage may have suffered from this, it looks a bit too vertical to the wing & maybe needs some more forward rake to give it the right sit.

Steve.

Thanks and exactly that @stevehnz...good eye! The kit comes with two location point boxes that need to be inserted between the wing halves where the UC rods will go eventually. It obviously doesn't fit well and requires some drilling and though the UC rods come with an angled attachment, I believe it is not enough. Here is a close up of the UC and also the profile of my recently completed hasegawa VIII for comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmaks said:

also the profile of my recently completed hasegawa VIII for comparison.

The Hasegawa one certainly has a more convincing stance. I hope you can do something with the AZ one, it deserves it.

Steve.